Thread: Mod - [Your Patch]

Mod - [Your Patch]

Mod - [Your Patch]

Since many of you seem to be asking for things that are to do with numbers and such of the game mechanics, especially considering the Campaign and Ai, this can altered through changing of data within the .sb files and of course the Hex of other items.

Most interesting is the idea of altering the players within the Campaign, I'll begin to document this as soon as possible. I'm not looking towards audio or graphics, as that isn't my area of skill.

So what do people really want that could be changed?

So you know how to do all this stats editing do you? Great. How about a collaboration?

LINK. <-- I think this was a really good idea, but so far only officerpuppy and I have shown an interest.

The sort of things I want is realistic weapon ranges, that means rifles firing at atleast 3x the distance of musteks, and artillery firing miles (but very inaccurate at long range.) And also increased reload times for these weapons so they are not dominating.

Originally Posted by Mister Nock
    So you know how to do all this stats editing do you? Great. How about a collaboration?

LINK. <-- I think this was a really good idea, but so far only officerpuppy and I have shown an interest.

The sort of things I want is realistic weapon ranges, that means rifles firing at atleast 3x the distance of musteks, and artillery firing miles (but very inaccurate at long range.) And also increased reload times for these weapons so they are not dominating.

This is what I want to do:

Increase the number of men in units by 2 or 3x.

Reduce the damage they do by 50%-80% increasing drastically the times of battles.

Reduce the building time of units.

Decrease all melee values to increase the length of combat.

If you can do this, I'd be grateful.

Basically what is on offer at the moment, is that if we find the information of units, we can quickly alter it, its actually Totally Modding the game thats a little advanced at the moment, though I've been pondering the idea of changing parts of the Engine and GameModes to accept different *.sb or radically altered ones.

So I'm just going through everything I can view and commenting on it within my .txt (i'll display it asap) so that it obvious to anyone how to Mod it, who knows, I've got skills with VB and learning Java so that maybe I might create a modding tool to quickly do this without much hassle.

Originally Posted by Phillippe
    Basically what is on offer at the moment, is that if we find the information of units, we can quickly alter it, its actually Totally Modding the game thats a little advanced at the moment, though I've been pondering the idea of changing parts of the Engine and GameModes to accept different *.sb or radically altered ones.

So I'm just going through everything I can view and commenting on it within my .txt (i'll display it asap) so that it obvious to anyone how to Mod it, who knows, I've got skills with VB and learning Java so that maybe I might create a modding tool to quickly do this without much hassle.
    I have trouble following your english. The unit data file is well known, but I don't have the coding skills to crack the format and I have received absolutely no support or help for this sites MODS or the official support. In fact, I've been lied to by the moderators in this regard. I am temtped to find out who they answer to, and take steps to get them removed from their positions due to the fact that they have no interest in helping the community.

Can you code an application to modify these unit stats?

I'm beginning to share your frustration. The silence around here is deafening. Nothing kills a game's fanbase more quickly and completely than a developer who can't be bothered to communicate with it's customers. If the developer doesn't care about the game, why should we? Here's hoping the folks responsible for IG wake up before it's too late.

I'm not sure the length of battles should be increased, size of units, yeah maybe just a little. I thought some of my battles were really long, as it took ages to flank the enemy and strike from an open position, like in London.

I think naval battles should be made much easier, just make a spot where you want your ship to be placed at, not a general direction in which the ship goes I haven't finished a single naval battle, because all my ships run out of range

Towards coding an application to develop alternative Unit Stats and such, I think time is the issue here. Basically I've got to find out how they've programmed the Unit Stats so far, any pointers, their structures and use of data to work is done, and that isn't going to be easy, and will basically run into "change this, what happens, repeat..."

Of course this only works if the format is at all readable.

Originally Posted by Queeg
    I'm beginning to share your frustration. The silence around here is deafening. Nothing kills a game's fanbase more quickly and completely than a developer who can't be bothered to communicate with it's customers. If the developer doesn't care about the game, why should we? Here's hoping the folks responsible for IG wake up before it's too late.
    Exactly, Q. This is sad. Does anyone here know who the moderators on this board answer to? Who can I contact to explain this situation to them. The total lack of support here and the inability to answer 1 simple question is a freaking shame.

Originally Posted by Phillippe
    Towards coding an application to develop alternative Unit Stats and such, I think time is the issue here. Basically I've got to find out how they've programmed the Unit Stats so far, any pointers, their structures and use of data to work is done, and that isn't going to be easy, and will basically run into "change this, what happens, repeat..."

Of course this only works if the format is at all readable.
    Well, we know what file it is. Have you taken a look at the file?

I think the answer to cracking the stat file is understanding what to do with the .cpp file that came with the editor tools. I'm thinking some kind of reverse engineering ? I thik maybe understanding the variable names and amounts and locating those numbers in the .dt file in a hex editor you could probably alter it.

where can I find a *good* *free* Hex editor?

Free isn't so easy, shareware, maybe try WinHex.

I'm actually just going through everything to catalogue it at the moment, in just a file by folder situation. Haven't done the Editor Tools yet.

Originally Posted by moetman
    I think the answer to cracking the stat file is understanding what to do with the .cpp file that came with the editor tools. I'm thinking some kind of reverse engineering ? I thik maybe understanding the variable names and amounts and locating those numbers in the .dt file in a hex editor you could probably alter it.

where can I find a *good* *free* Hex editor?
    FHRED is a good free Hex editor. I've hex edited the file and couldn't find anything..

Originally Posted by Nahirean
    FHRED is a good free Hex editor. I've hex edited the file and couldn't find anything..
    Nothing ? Then I don't know ...
    I think maybe it's time to take the matter into our own hands. How many here have e-mailed the devs-pyro studio ? ..or have we only got eidos? or should we hammer Jac? They have to take notice if a large number of people are harassing their in-box. no?

I know they are releasing a patch soon and all may be revealed then, maybe they are busy and any time answering the forums means work away from IG ?? Maybe we should wait for the patch .

Rolleyes

Originally Posted by moetman
    Nothing ? Then I don't know ...
    I think maybe it's time to take the matter into our own hands. How many here have e-mailed the devs-pyro studio ? ..or have we only got eidos? or should we hammer Jac? They have to take notice if a large number of people are harassing their in-box. no?

I know they are releasing a patch soon and all may be revealed then, maybe they are busy and any time answering the forums means work away from IG ?? Maybe we should wait for the patch .
    No, they don't have to take notice. They'll ignore you and claim they "Didn't get the message." They are terrible representatives of Eidos. I mean to find their superiors and explain my dissastisfaction.

Why would they give us information to crack the .dt file in a patch?

Think he is meaning we patch the game ourselves, which likely would first require us cracking this .dt format anyway. I'll ask around some friends to see if they've got some ideas on it.

Mod Ideas

I would like to see the unit size increased to 100 for infantry units ( a Company of Infantry) and maybe 60 or so for Cavalry.Each Infantry company accompanied by an officer/Sergeant and Drummer.
    I'd imagine the Infantry size can't to made too large otherwise they can't all fit into the buildings/woods etc when taking a strategic position.

Indeed, though likely you can also alter the maximum allowed within buildings, though since they've made damn loads of rules about firing from buildings that'll be hard to alter correctly.

Drummers and Musicians would just be adding a different type of model. I'll talk to someone about that.

I like the sound of proposals being mentioned here just to add could the Cavalry be slowed down a little and is it possible to remove the foot markers like in RTW? And finally a post 1801 flag for Britain (with the St. Patricks cross). I remember asking for this when the demo first came out and being told that one would be available when the game is released, didn't happen.

I've made a British drummerboy skin, only there is no model with a drum so the best I can do is use the Inf model, (or the Art crew model, which would remove his musket.)

As for putting him in the game, that's another matter.

I've also been working on some officers, editing the skins so they fit onto the models, again, the problem lies in putting them into the game.

I think this is too hard to mod effectively, the best bet is hope that the patch addresses this.

As for the post 1801 Union Flag, should be easy enough, I'll have a go.

Oh, and I agree with vanian; 100 infantry in a unit would be much better. I know it's SUPPOSED to reprsent a battalion of 1000 men, but at least a company is better than a mere 60.

I agree Mister Nock, better the more in a unit size, with the engine and all, this could be represented,' I am shure'.

I rationalize that I'm fighting with companies rather than battalions and 100-man units would be nice.

Much appreciated Mister Nock .

I would change the size of the units, 100 is a good number for infantry ( like a real company of the era ) and i think that the idea of add an officer and a drummer it´s a great idea.

But I hink that the most important is to play with all the other countries, but not all as minor countrys. Spain and ottoman empire like empires. Or only in mode of quick battle, that you can chose every country.

greetings

Increased artillery range would be good.

I've looked and looked. Can't find it in the SB files. I presume it's in the ModeloCombate.dt file. That file is beyond me, and I've hacked a fair amount of games.

TT