Thread: Which formation should i choose?

Which formation should i choose?

Which formation should i choose?

What is the best formation to use (column, squere or line) in defending a position, attacking?

Originally Posted by Thecrisis5
    What is the best formation to use (column, squere or line) in defending a position, attacking?
    Depends on what is immediately threatening your units.

It also depends on how the developers "balanced" the game forces.

Normally, it would be good for infantry to deploy in line when facing artillery and other infantry. Squares are for when facing cavalry.

Columns are not really a defensive formation. They are for movement only, but could be used as an assault formation (again this will depend a lot on how the developers treated the formations).

Artillery, obviously, will be unlimbered and deployed.

Cavalry, per se, is not a defensive force. It's used for attacking the enemy, persuit of defeated foes and local counter attacks, beyond the normal reconaissance functions. Should deploy cavalry in line whenever the enemy is in sight or suspected to be so, otherwise column is best for movement.

Historical tactics will be of limited value overall, though, beyond the rock-paper-scissors match ups and flanking fire as morale is a non-issue (within combat mechanics of melee) and firing through your troops with non-artillery units is permitted without risk of fratricide.

So, don't let history and lack of an accurate combat representation get in the way of you having fun with the game. Unless, of course, that is what you were wanting from IG.

Good luck, I hope you have some fun.