Thread: The Union Flag

The Union Flag

The Union Flag

Sorry for asking but does the Uion flag change to the correct one like it did in 1801? If it is only possible to use one flag for the British surely the Union flag/jack after 1801 would be more appropiate considering more Napoleonic battles occured after 1801 than before it no?

not many will care but if i knew anything i would say something lol

Originally Posted by Sir Crow
    Sorry for asking but does the Uion flag change to the correct one like it did in 1801? If it is only possible to use one flag for the British surely the Union flag/jack after 1801 would be more appropiate considering more Napoleonic battles occured after 1801 than before it no?
    There have been one or two threads and questions about this.

I believe the Union Jack does not change. Someone please correct me...

Berdan's modding group The Skirmishers has already replaced the flags with more correct ones, for the British this is a post 1801 Union flag with a generic laurel wreath central design. Likewise we can improve all the flags, so no need to worry on this subject.

We are working on adding a sub-unit to each main unit and that may allow us to introduce a second flag as a regimental colour. Still fiddling about with this. Watch this space.

And what about the spanish flag?

And what about the spanish flag?

The one they use at the battles, so as the one that appears on screen when the turn changes at the management game, is right, but I don't Know where did the dev's find the one that appears on the maps. It seems to be some kind of mix between the Aragon kingdom flag and Spanish.

What is the reason to use that strange flag?

As for the Union Jack it is basically correct. I posted some images on The Skirmisher's website for British infantry Kings and Regimental colors. As for accuracy, and for the anal retentive....each Regiment had slight variations on the Union Jack. For example, 1st Foot Guards would have a crown and a fluer-de-lis design under it. The "Buffs" had the coolest looking flags IMO, and their Union Jack had a Griffon on it. Anyway, they all had differences, but it doesnt bother me that these arent there. The regiments arent represented anyway.

With the risk of sounding 'Anally rententive' The Uion flag was changed to what it is today, i.e with the St. Patricks cross in. This happened in 1801 FYI and the flag in the game omitted the St Patricks cross. Unless you are saying that the people in Ireland do not count? As for saying it is 'basically correct' it isn't is it? it's like having the American flag in black & white instead of red white & blue and saying 'it is basically correct'. If you had read my post and other peoples posts properly you would have seen this was the case and not mere regimental stuff!

With the risk of sounding 'Anally rententive' The Uion flag was changed to what it is today, i.e with the St. Patricks cross in. This happened in 1801 FYI and the flag in the game omitted the St Patricks cross. Unless you are saying that the people in Ireland do not count? As for saying it is 'basically correct' it isn't is it? it's like having the American flag in black & white instead of red white & blue and saying 'it is basically correct'. If you had read my post and other peoples posts properly you would have seen this was the case and not mere regimental stuff!
    I was actually refering to myself as being anal retentive, but Im glad Im not alone. As far as the St. Patricks cross, I hadnt noticed (since Berdan fixed that in his mod), but since Berdan's mod fixes that, Im not sure of what the problem is. And I am equal parts half British and half Irish, so both count equally to me.

EDIT: Not only was the saltire added in 1801, but all Union wreaths were to include shamrocks.

Why are people so damn rude on these forums? I think this is the worst forum for manners I've ever been on. For anyone who cares a jot we can alter any and all flags for Britain, Spain, Venezuela and Inner Mongolia too if you want one. We are correcting them to a good mostly accurate compromise given that there cannot be regimental distinctions in the game and within the limits of the textures we can apply. We will certainly fix that very strange Russian flag seen in some preview screenshots, if Pyro haven't altered it already.

Does that answer your questions?

Anyone else got an insult to throw at the hard working modders?

Anyone actually want to help us with reference material, I know it's in all your natures to slag anyone off who appears to be doing anything to help improve this game but if you stop and consider life then you'll realise that helping us with information will actually not only benefit you but everyone else who uses a modded game, so we all win. There, that's a better system of co-operation isn't it?

We could certainly use some help with the Egyptian and Ottoman flags if anyone's got any info.

Thank you.

Big Grin

I noticed the Union Jack Flag as well when i tried the demo out, being a bit of a British "Patriot" myself and seen the Sharpe episodes as well i would like to see it done properly as you say.

Originally Posted by saddletank
    Why are people so damn rude on these forums? I think this is the worst forum for manners I've ever been on.
    Lets fix that shall we? www.forumplanet.com/planetbattlefield

Enter if you wish to find a world of stupidity.

As for the flag... Since the majority of the game is after 1801 the quick fix for Pyros/Eidos is to just have the Union Jack as it was then. But since the modders had no trouble getting it to change depending on timeframe then I don't see why Pyros can't.

may i add my too pennies worth ere ...

The demo is a fictious battle ... yes .. therefore why can you not assume that the battle takes place prior to 1800 therefore eliminating the "its the wrong flag" syndrome ..

I placed a post on a thread somewhere sayin that they had the flag was correct (as a screenie i saw was prior to 1801 in the game). But i dont know if it was just a generic flag for the whole time period that IG covers ..

Wink

We all have seen the nice works that the modders are doing about history accuracy and, about Spain, I'm glad to see that Berdan's team has set the spanish army as one of their next works.

I just was wondering where did the dev's find that flag. British can discuss about the change of their flag in 1801, but about Spain the only changes after Charles III 1759-1788 (he was the one to choose the red-double yellow-red flag for the Armada, later for the army and at least it became the nations symbol) have been about the coat of arms and the republican flag (1931-1939).

There was another flag at that time that was used by Napoleon's brother Jose I king of Spain1808-1813. His flag was white with his coat of arms mixed with the rest of spanish arms, but it was never accepted by the part of the army that fought against the french.

It 's, simply, something that I don't understand.
    Are the devs spanish?

Originally Posted by reddis
    Are the devs spanish?
    Yes. Pyro is a Spanish company.

And Berdan's mods team has a Spanish wargamer/historian/artist working on the Spanish flag and uniform textures.

Originally Posted by saddletank
    Yes. Pyro is a Spanish company.

And Berdan's mods team has a Spanish wargamer/historian/artist working on the Spanish flag and uniform textures.
    I thought the coding looked Spanish, and that explains why my hispanic friends had no trouble modding the demo so much.

I know that the devs are spanish. I was asking because it makes still harder to understand why they used that flag that I had never seen. If it was a mistake, it would be easier to understand from other nationality devs, but no spanish.

Anyway I hope the mods will fix it.

Why are people so damn rude on these forums? I assume you meant me there? I was answering someone who I thought was accusing me of being 'anally retentive' although a mis-understanding on my part I thought I had the right to redress, saddletank. My apologies to screamingpalm.

As far as the flags go you mentioned that this is no problem as you can mod the game with the correct one. So if I understand correctly we have to buy the game and then get the mod?

So if I understand correctly we have to buy the game and then get the mod?
    Yes, I don't see any value in doing the opposite. But you can mod the demo with the flags Berdan has already done if you want, go to www.imperial-glory.info/

But as the full game is upon us in a day or two I'd wait and mod the full game although it may take Berdan's team a while to convert the mods done for the demo into ones that will work for the full game.

Why are people so damn rude on these forums? I assume you meant me there? I was answering someone who I thought was accusing me of being 'anally retentive' although a mis-understanding on my part I thought I had the right to redress, saddletank. My apologies to screamingpalm.

As far as the flags go you mentioned that this is no problem as you can mod the game with the correct one. So if I understand correctly we have to buy the game and then get the mod?
    No worries, I was always better at math than english, and words on a forum can be easily taken the wrong way....well you know.

Thanks guys, As I never bother with demo's (I prefer the full version) I'll wait till the 20th. Can I ask a daft question though, will you be able to fight naval battles online?

Yes, for more info read the faq.

So what if more of the land battles were fought after 1801, most of the naval battles were fought before 1801 and surely the naval battles were more important than the land battles for the British Empire

The naval flag was not the same as the flag carried by the infantry which wasn't the same as that carried by the cavalry, and the artillery didn't have flags at all. In the game you get just one for all. It would be possible to create a land flag and a naval flag and swap them with a batch file depending on whether you were fighting on land or sea, but yes there are limitations in this game. Have you spotted any of the others yet?

Quibbling about the flags is the least of our worries...

Like the MP you mean?