Thread: Pc Sound Problems

Pc Sound Problems

Pc Sound Problems

Has anyone else heard a strange "static" over the audio. It's strange because the audio underneath in not skipping and sounds perfect. It's like a "popping" all the time. VERY ANNOYING!!!

I'm using a AOPEN 5.1 Sound card based on Crystal chipsets.

Any thoughts?

Just installed the game today, and notice this noise. I can't figure out if it is meant to be that way though, but I do agree it's annoying because it sounds like static and something else. Get it on both my onboard audio AC97 and Audigy LS card.

I'm QUITE SURE it's NOT supposed to be this way. I've heard of video card problems but SOUND also? Did they beta this on more than 1 machine?

I have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card and I keep hearing a bunch of "pulsing,popping" static sounds. I had the same problem with Defiance, but when I disabled EAX and reverb it went away.

Are there any sound settings that can be changed?

GOOD QUESTION!!! I looked and there does not seem to be any sound settings other then volume. (kind of weird in itself)

ANY UBI PEEPS WANNA HELP?

im also hearing that "poping" static sound. i thought it was part of the game but it isnt. i tried the game on my buddy's xbox and there is no "poping" static sound. why is the pc version so messed up? my sound card is creative sound blaster live 24-bit.

Just a thought, but my sound card does NOT support EAX. On some games, the sound will be messed up until I disable EAX.

Does Snowblind have EAX enabled by default?

I thought of that too but there would HAVE to be a way to shut it off!!!

UBI????? Anyone there??

Come on Eidos, give us some word on a patch.

Or at least modify the Setup to allow changes to the sound.

PC Sound Problem Creative Live! 24 Bit

I get the sound problem on my Dell Dimension 8400. Tech support was no help at all. A temporary workaround I discovered is to disable hardware sound acceleration while we wait (and wait and wait) for a patch to fix the problem they deny exists.

I, too, think it is strange that there are minimal sound options in setting up the game.

Tech support blamed the hardware right off the bat even though they list everything as not only supported but far in excess of their recommended system. I did full hardware diagnostics and they still blamed the hardware.

As Dogbert would say: "Bah!"

I build PC's for a living and I know there is nothing wrong with my hardware/drivers.

It is either EAX or some kind of Reverb. I have loaded dozens of games on this PC and NEVER had a sound problem except for 2 games: Legacy of Kain: Defiance and Snowblind.

Legacy of Kain: Defiance was made by the same developer (Crystal Dynamics) and I had the EXACT same problem until I turned of Reverb in the game's sound settings.

Makes you wonder.......

Eidos, please respond with something!!

Still Waiting!!! C'mon UBI- at least acknowlege the problem!

Originally Posted by Sixx2k
    UBI?

The get round for turning the sound acceleration to either basic or off is well known for lots of other games which require dx9 for sound. Creative last updated their Live drivers in Mar 2003, thats over 2 years ago. To support hardware which the makers no longer support themselves, is a very difficult thing to do.
    www.imdb.me/jasonwalker <-thas me hehe
    Twitter: @jaywalker2309
    - My opinion is my own and not that of the company.

I Got the audigy 2 value sound card that supports EAX and EAXHD, 24bits of sound, 5.1 to 7.1 speakers and more and I have the same issue with the static sound. But I only hear it whent he orge throws the missles and they hit something and explode, i hear a static echo on top of the sound.

And someone here asked why the Xbox does not have this bug, that's because the people that make this game know everyone who owns a XBOX or PS2 has exactly the same graphics card and sound card so therefore it's much more simple to make the game work with the console.

When you deal with the PC there's millions of different drivers, cards etc the customer can be using thus it's a lot harder to make things work and takes los of time + patching to get things right.

May I suggest some sord of SOUND option so we can pick hardware or software sound + EAX and speaker configuration? ON top of the 10 other things this game lacks that's one of them.

Good luck edios

Jaycw.....

I am not trying to sound high and mighty here, but this game needs to have Sound Settings available.

I do not think the sound problem is a "bug", but certain Sound Settings that can be changed will alleviate the problem on my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card.

Do you know:
    1. Does this game enable EAX by default?
    2. Does this game use Reverb (like Legacy of Kain: Defiance)?
    3. Does this game enable Sound Hardware Acceleration by default?

Thanks for the info,
    Curt

Originally Posted by cwalker
    Jaycw.....

I am not trying to sound high and mighty here, but this game needs to have Sound Settings available.

I do not think the sound problem is a "bug", but certain Sound Settings that can be changed will alleviate the problem on my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card.

Do you know:

Thanks for the info,
    Curt
    Will speak to the dev team about it

Sorry, alittle sideways HUMOR. (anyone remember the Far Cry problems) they said didn't exist.

Sorry, alittle sideways HUMOR. (anyone remember the Far Cry problems) they said didn't exist.
    Ahh my bad for missing that one

Originally Posted by cwalker
    Jaycw.....

Do you know:

Thanks for the info,
    Curt
    Spoke to dev team, their answers.

1- No it doesn't, uses basic DirectSound3d
    2- Not in this title
    3- It uses whatever your dxdiag is set to, hence why setting to basic/off aids the audio if the sound card is having issues.

OK I had previously tried reducing it to BASIC in DXDIAG with no luck. HOWEVER, I just set it to off and it seams to take care of the static for now. However, I still think it is strange the SAME issue is happening on NUMEROUS different sound cards with different manufatures.

OK I had previously tried reducing it to BASIC in DXDIAG with no luck. HOWEVER, I just set it to off and it seams to take care of the static for now. However, I still think it is strange the SAME issue is happening on NUMEROUS different sound cards with different manufatures.
    From the list i've seen its SB live's (known issue thanks to ancient driver), SB audigy (not sure on driver status on it) and a motherboard mounted sound chipset which am sure is not dx9 compliant.

I tried it with the NVidia onboard (no suprise it was bad) a soundblaster X-gamer and an AOPEN 5.1 card ALL with the same issue.

i also tried reducing the sound acceleration in dxdiag but it didnt work as well.

I tried it with the NVidia onboard (no suprise it was bad) a soundblaster X-gamer and an AOPEN 5.1 card ALL with the same issue.
    Creatives own `how to fix the sound issue` guide

Its all common sense stuff, however not always easy to do, such as the drop the graphics settings down a notch is a bit OTT when you playing a 3d game.