Thread: PC version needs a good patch desperately

PC version needs a good patch desperately

PC version needs a good patch desperately

I bought the DVD-Rom version of the PC game. I, too, have a top of the line rig with an ATI Radeon 9800 XT. I'm a fiend about latest drivers, keeping my system clean, updated, etc.

This is the first game I've ever bought that crashes all the time like this game does. There's no predictability to the crashes except perhaps if there's "too much action" going on at one time.

It's a fun game and I'm really enjoying it, but I hate this feeling of playing with my guard up because I never know when it's going to crash on me again.

As a sidenote: I'm disappointed in the lack of high-rez graphics for the PC version, but that's hardly earth shattering. I'm really concerned about the crashes.

Thanks.

Q, I totally understand playing with your guard up on the crash thing, but as I replied in the graphics problem thread...I'm using the Invidia G4 TI 4600 with an Intel 2.4 processor and like you I try to keep it clean out and updated to the latest...I have yet to have the game even flinch and I'm at level 7. I wish I could help you but I wanted to let you know that it will play great on my PC.
    I did clean out all other games before installing this game. I also had to install a DVD Rom to play it, but I've had no problems besides some selections of equip and weapons but that's a rookie problem on my part! Good luck man hope you get it figured out and if I hear of any fixes I'll post! ASAP!

graphic problems

did you disable the full screen effects box in set up?
    I couldn't even load the game until I did that

Originally Posted by Chopper
    did you disable the full screen effects box in set up?
    I couldn't even load the game until I did that
    I'll look into that, just for laughs. I just find it rather curious that this is basically the only game I've ever had this kind of difficulty with. I'll let you know what I find. I'd be interested to match notes with other people's setups. As of now, I have everything checked off and set to Trilinear. I shouldn't have to dumb down anything with the hardware that I have.

I certainly look forward to hearing from anyone else about it.

It's obvious just from scanning the titles of some of these threads that this game clearly needs a substantial patch of some sort in the near future. Then you read some of the threads and you know it.

It's a nice game. Fun! Just some needless glitches that really shouldn't be there.

I kind of wish they'd sat on the PC version maybe for another month or two. I think it would have made all the difference in the world and you probably wouldn't see even a fraction of the glitch/complaint threads that you see right now.

Maybe they could've thrown in some high-rez graphics to boot.

Edit: I just beat the game! Wow, I sure feel like it ended fast. The tip about turning off Full Screen Effects helped me. The last level was almost unplayable with crashing until I did that. I'm sorry that I already beat the game.

Oh well... on to multiplayer. I sure want to see a patch and hopefully, a kick butt expansion pack and sequel someday. I think they have real potential to build on something here.

I have run into the exact same problem. For me anyway, turning off full screen effects does not solve it. The game is in need of a patch very badly, here are the problems i have encountered:
    Crashes to desktop occasionally (usually when lots is happening on screen)
    Mouse stops working (stops scrolling occasionally for a second or two)
    people blink in and out of existence in multiplayer
    The game is not compatible with Nvidia's latest driver release 71.84 (or
    whatever it is) and it seems also not to be compatible with some ATI
    drivers.)
    I have sent a support request to eidos 10 days ago, but haven't received even an automated response. The game is playable like this, i beat it, but for 40 bucks you'd like it to be stable. Especially because it is freaking awesome.

Exclamation Choppy Audio!

My System:

P4 3.2 Ghz 800mhz fsb
    1GB OCZ 2-2-2-5 pc 3200 dual channel mode
    2x10,000rpm SATA Raptor HD's
    1x160GB 7200 RPM Maxtor HD
    128MB GeforceFX 5700Ultra
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 LS - updated drivers
    Windows XP SP 2 (updated)

DvD Version of Project Snowblind

For some reason my audio has a choppy static noise that consistently fades in and out with a cha cha cha cha cha cha noise. The sound only goes away when I turn the game volume\music all the way down. Otherwise it is persistent with either of them turned on.

I have the most current, up to date sound drivers possible, the newest Nvidia drivers, and I can hear the game sounds and music, but not without the annoying humming noises that fade in and out. I'm not sure if It's the game or my computer, but if there is someone else out there that has this issue please let me know, or if there is a workaround I can use to prevent this problem from recurring.

As it is right now, it's so bad I can't even play the game. I seriously hope there is a patch that can fix this issue, because the game seems very cool

Originally Posted by Antlantis
    My System:

P4 3.2 Ghz 800mhz fsb

For some reason my audio has a choppy static noise that consistently fades in and out with a cha cha cha cha cha cha noise. The sound only goes away when I turn the game volume\music all the way down. Otherwise it is persistent with either of them turned on.

I have the most current, up to date sound drivers possible, the newest Nvidia drivers, and I can hear the game sounds and music, but not without the annoying humming noises that fade in and out. I'm not sure if It's the game or my computer, but if there is someone else out there that has this issue please let me know, or if there is a workaround I can use to prevent this problem from recurring.

As it is right now, it's so bad I can't even play the game. I seriously hope there is a patch that can fix this issue, because the game seems very cool

try rolling back the audio drivers to a earlier driver, some times the latest drivers don't work with certain games. Also you don't need to update your vid/audio drivers all the time...just do it when things stop working or require a later driver.

Originally Posted by Antlantis
    My System:

P4 3.2 Ghz 800mhz fsb

Try this for the audio problem - run dxdiag, and go to the audio tab, then turn it down from full acceleration to basic.. see if that helps.
    www.imdb.me/jasonwalker <-thas me hehe
    Twitter: @jaywalker2309
    - My opinion is my own and not that of the company.

Originally Posted by Q-BanditZ
    I bought the DVD-Rom version of the PC game. I, too, have a top of the line rig with an ATI Radeon 9800 XT. I'm a fiend about latest drivers, keeping my system clean, updated, etc.

This is the first game I've ever bought that crashes all the time like this game does. There's no predictability to the crashes except perhaps if there's "too much action" going on at one time.

It's a fun game and I'm really enjoying it, but I hate this feeling of playing with my guard up because I never know when it's going to crash on me again.

As a sidenote: I'm disappointed in the lack of high-rez graphics for the PC version, but that's hardly earth shattering. I'm really concerned about the crashes.

Thanks.
    Couldn't agree with you more. I realy love the concept of the game but the texture resolution is very low and noticeably pixelated. I also get random crashes to desktop (I'm using a radeon 9800 pro, P3 2.8ghz).

Full screen FX problem

This game is piece of *****. Why eidos suggest to download latest drivers?
    This game doesn't work with latest. You have to use old one. Why Eidos didn't test it before make it retail?

They coudn't test them because those drivers came out after the game was released.

Originally Posted by madeye
    Couldn't agree with you more. I realy love the concept of the game but the texture resolution is very low and noticeably pixelated. I also get random crashes to desktop (I'm using a radeon 9800 pro, P3 2.8ghz).
    I was able to play online yesterday for about 15 minutes before, as per usual, the game just crashed to my desktop. Honestly, this has to be far and away the most crash prone game I've EVER owned on the PC.

I'm just not going to bother with it again until a substantial patch comes out. If that takes too long, I'm going to uninstall it and trade it in towards something else. It's just simply unacceptable and I KNOW the problem isn't on my side.

It's frustrating because this is a fine game and very fun to play. I limped through single player mode with the feeling that it could crash on me at any time, and it usually did. Now I see I'm going to have the same problem in multiplayer as well? Forget it.

All of my hardware easily exceeds the recommended stats and I'm fully updated on all drivers and firmware. The numerous complaint threads on this forum speak for themselves.

I'm getting the same SOUND PROBLEM--I'm get it on a AOPEN 5.1 card and a SOUND BLASTER LIVE card. HMMMM

well, i havent experienced any crashes but i have gone through some lagginess in the game. certain areas in the game slow down to like 15-20 fps, while other places are like 60+. and there's also the sound issue. i can hear "popping" static like sounds. no wonder eidos is going down the toilet. what is the R&D team doing at crystal dynamics and eidos? this game is so buggy!

Rolleyes project snowblind wont run

I can,t get this game to run at all on my system.
    Athalon 1700+, 512 mb ram. 128 gforce fx 5500 128 mb ram. video, 5.1 suround sound.
    setup does not run at all. Try to run game, kills computer (message.. video driver error, install latest driver. ) I already installed the latest 7.84.
    Tried older driver that came with card. Same thing.
    I have 3 seperate computers, Athalon 1700+,
    Athalon2000+, pentium4 -3.0 gig, all have 512 megs ram and a nvida gforcefx5500 video card with 128 mb ram. It will not run on any of them.
    cant get the full screen off ..it wont run set up.

Another Crash Victim...

(For reference, I have a Pentium 4 w/ HyperThreading, 2.8ghz CPU, WinXP Home SP1, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, and 1024gb ram)

I too am experiencing numerous crashes (about 15 so far).
    I've tried updating and downgrading my drivers, disabling fullscreen effects, lowering/raising resolutions, trying BETA drivers from 3Dguru.com (76.10,76.41,etc.), but all I've succeeded in doing (with the installation of the BETA drivers) is make the game run okay with fullscreen effects enabled. However, this doesn't prevent the game from crashing an obscene amount of times.
    PLEASE HELP!!!

another crash victim

Looked at the forum to help with avioding crashing to desktop, tried all the usual suspects including fullscreen effects,sound acceleration, and drivers. Still can't cure the problem that everyone seems to have, sent an e-mail to tech support awaiting to hear back, but by all accounts i'll be waiting a month of sundays.

Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 1536MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    80G drive and 120G
    800XT platinum 256 DDR3
    Audigy platinum external

Unhappy Same audio problem

Originally Posted by jaycw2309
    Try this for the audio problem - run dxdiag, and go to the audio tab, then turn it down from full acceleration to basic.. see if that helps.
    I have the same audio problem described by Antlantis. I tried this suggestion and it affected nothing. I have an Audigy LS soundcard. I have no other problem with any other game, so I'm not goofing around with driver rollback for the sake of this one game even as an experiment. When I got to the cutscene with the General dying, the audio went out completely, but came back (still with the same in and out static) when the next level loaded. By this time, of course, I have subtitles enabled.

On the plus side, I have had none of the video or gameplay issues other ppl are reporting. For comparision's sake, my PC:

AMD64 3200 skt 939
    1 gig DDR 400 ram
    AIW X800XT video
    Win XP SP1 (I don't like SP2)

Everyone on this thread...

...has more than adequate hardware to run this game. They really need a patch. I got through all of the levels of the game once, despite about nine crashes. I'd love to play it again, but not until this is fixed.
    This really is too bad.
    Very good story line, likeable characters, the BEST weapons selection I've ever seen IMHO, yet here I am playng games I like less because they aren't crashing.