Thread: Imperial Glory - why this game doesn't appeal to me

Imperial Glory - why this game doesn't appeal to me

Imperial Glory - why this game doesn't appeal to me

First, I’d like to say I’m a fan of the best game ever: Praetorians. Sorry to be against the general opinion (total war series are the best strategic games...or some other complicated games…) but this is how I feel and I cannot go against my feelings…

Imperial Glory might be a copy-paste of Rome Total War. I don’t like very much RTW and I give you the reasons now:

-A game lasts eternity. Only the battle field is of interest for me and before meeting an exciting fight, you have to fight and fight poor battles. I know there is automatic fight but how many automatic fights you have to pass before the exciting one?

-One big campaign but no missions. When I play a game, I want to finish the mission I started after one or 2 hours, not more. With RTW, it’s impossible.

-On the campaign map, there are so many things to handle: diplomatic, trade, constructions, family….and generally, I don’t know what are clearly the consequences of my acts. That’s frustrating. There is also automatic button but that’s still more frustrating.

-On the battle field. The best part for me because there are many different civilizations with a huge number of units… so…. we can think about many strategic possibilities. But it’s always a fight between two big armies face to face. The fight is finally always the same. I would prefer objectives like the historical battles.

-Concerning the gameplay during the battles. A lot of good things but I don’t like so much. Maybe, too many things happen by accident or by luck… How the total moral is calculated? How the stamina is calculated? How can we know clearly the factors that influence the moral and stamina- how close, for example, the general should be to give moral to his troops, how close the general should be to rally troops, what is clearly the range of range attacks? I want to control everything...

If Pyros succeed to make me like their game, they are genius – I know they are…

Why do we get so many people coming here to complain against the TW series? If you hate the TW series, go complain on their forums.

P.S

When I play a game, I want to finish the mission I started after one or 2 hours, not more. With RTW, it’s impossible.
    If you have a shorter attention span that is your problem, not the games.

Puro should learn from the mitakes of Rome: Total so that IG can be better

If you hate the TW series, go complain on their forums.
    Don't need to lose your temper.

Relationships between IG and RTW are obvious.

Time spent on a mission is part of the gameplay.

Go complain about R:TW somewhere else. It says Imperial Glory General Dissucussion at the top for a reason.

Yawn.

Is there really no chat section around where people can talk about the activision games?

I havent really seen much in theese two discussions about actual issues about THIS game.

Which isnt to say there are no issues, as presented elsewhere:
    *Will our landwehr be stuck with clubs, all the time?
    *Can i build more than one unit at a time, in each province?
    *Same foir ships.. ships and troops at the same time?
    *And once more for buildings?
    *How limiting are the various civ specific limitations? How broad the bonuses?
    *Can I as England have an alliance with Napoleon?

And a little raw data would be nice, like a sketchy techtree or such. Hopefully one with details, id love to help out here.. if for nothing else so that my postings can be more relevant

Re: Imperial Glory - why this game doesn't appeal to me

Originally posted by [BlackBirdy]
    [B]First, I’d like to say I’m a fan of the best game ever: Praetorians. ....
    Each to their own... Praetorians had a very "Warcrafty" feeling to it IMHO
    My ideal game in this area would have to be MTW with the battles from RTW... but hopefully IG will do that and more... I continue to hope (in vain, I think) for naval vs shore based action

Imperial Glory might be a copy-paste of Rome Total War. I don’t like very much RTW and I give you the reasons now:
    Yeeech! Agreed!

-A game lasts eternity. Only the battle field is of interest for me and before meeting an exciting fight, you have to fight and fight poor battles. I know there is automatic fight but how many automatic fights you have to pass before the exciting one?
    An excellent point.
    I occured to me that this would also be a problem in IG...
    So, how to avoid this?
    How about this:
    When to forces meet you have an 'adviser' give you a prognosis of the battle?
    For example:
    My Lord, our English forces face the French at Normandy.
    While it is true that the French outnumber us by half our number again I feel the day favours us.
    The French are poorly led - their general has never won a victory and has suffered several humilating defeats.
    They lack cavalry and artillery in any numbers.
    Their men have been marching for several days and are without rest and hungry - not to mention that they are a disorganised and unrulely rabble Sir!
    We have good knowledge of the ground and our General is more than a match for any French tactician.
    And finally Sir,an elite Marine Regiment marches from the coast and will be on the field before midday.
    There is no need for you to lead this engagement Sir!"

Adds flavour and assists the player to avoid boring battles.

-One big campaign but no missions. When I play a game, I want to finish the mission I started after one or 2 hours, not more. With RTW, it’s impossible.
    Agree.
    IG would be ideal for 'missions' within a grand campaign IMHO.
    "Commodore,
    We require the French to yeild to our diplomatic demands regarding Prussia - A blockade of Brest should help to sway their opinion!

...-On the battle field. The best part for me because there are many different civilizations with a huge number of units… so…. we can think about many strategic possibilities. But it’s always a fight between two big armies face to face. The fight is finally always the same. I would prefer objectives like the historical battles.
    Yes.
    Hold until reinforcements arrive?
    Hold a strong point?
    Capture a gun Battery?
    Capture the high ground?
    Capture a strong point?
    Force a river crossing?
    Cover a withdrawl?

I agree with many of your points. Thanks for your post.

Thanks Czar for your reply… ... Great to see some people understood my post...
    If Pyros create IG in the way you describe it … yeah, it would be

I hope they're working on a gameplay on the battle field as good as Praetorians.
    The gameplay of this game is a little jewel of perfection. May I suggest you something? Try to finish all missions without losing one unit and you will see how far Praetorians is from Warcraft and its click click rush click click rush...

Is that possible, BlackBirdy? Even on hardest difficulty level? I finished the game on each difficulty level and with some missions I can hardly believe it's possible to finish them without losing any unit (for example "When All Hell Breaks Loose" and "Just... One... More... Fight.")

Don't need to lose your temper.
    I didn't lose my temper but it just seems to me completely stupid to say you don't like IG because such and such is wrong with R:TW. If you have a list of complaints about R:TW then why not go and post them in the R:TW forums.

Relationships between IG and RTW are obvious.
    Yes they are in the same genre, however this does not mean they are the same game.

To Arctic_Wolf,

It’s not innocent if I post here what I think about RTW. It may be a little help for Pyros and I repeat I’m fan of Pyros games. Can you imagine Creative Assembly modify deeply their Total War series and create a game completely different from what the fans expect. This is what happened for me with Imperial Glory. I was sure that they were working on Praetorians 2 and finally not at all. They’re working on a game similar to Total War. That was a disappointment. But let see what they prepare… very soon a demo?

To Sick,

I’m not the only one who envoy playing Praetorians
    Yeah, you can finish all missions at hard level without losing one unit except the one you mentioned: "When All Hell Breaks Loose" where the friendly units are killed just at the beginning of the mission.

ive been hearing IG being compared to RTW, how is that possible since the games are based on entirely different eras. I keep hearing that this is pyro's answer to RTW, how is that possible. If this is well known im sorry that i dont know but i just crawled out of the rock i've been living under so if its possible could someone explain that to me.

thanks in advance

I can see a connection between IG and R:TW, as they are in the same genre. However why they say IG will fail just because R:TW didn't live up to their expectations is beyond me.

Originally posted by Arctic_Wolf
    Why do we get so many people coming here to complain against the TW series? If you hate the TW series, go complain on their forums.

P.S

Indeed!

Why would anyone want to make a grand stratergy game into an arcade shoot them up mission style 2 a penny game. I hate it when you are pushed into a pre generated mission which has hardly any bearing on the direction you want to go within the game. Exciting battles have to go through boring small skirmishes before anything meaty comes around? same as mission games first missions boring. But it i belive from the developers point is to get every one use to controling your units.
    anyway Histoicaly correct uniforms, formations, and weapons, that will get all the hard nuts really interested and the other plebs well they wont care if its pink cows with blue frocks on as long as its playable