Thread: A few simple tech questions

A few simple tech questions

A few simple tech questions

Looked through the tweakguide but couldn't find any info on this:

1. how do I cap my framerate? I don't like vsync.
    2. is there a way to enable anisotropic filtering through the .inis so I don't have to force it through the driver?
    3. i've noticed something strange with the mouse sensitivity. It seems to be much more sensitive while standing still than while moving, which is a bit disconcerting. Anyone know why it does this?

Thanks.

1. how do I cap my framerate? I don't like vsync.
    I think you can just switch off vsync. Why would you want to cap your framerate? Isn't it better to just let it be dynamically decided by the vid card as you play?

(Not to you specifically, just a general comment: I have to say, the obsession with framerates mystifies me a little - does it look good and play smooth? Then turn off FRAPS or whatever and forget about the number - play the game!)

2. is there a way to enable anisotropic filtering through the .inis so I don't have to force it through the driver?
    I believe there's some sort of relationship between the 'bloom' feature and anisotropic filtering and/or anti-aliasing, but the best approach for me turned out to be switching off bloom and enabling the filtering I wanted using the card's drivers.

3. i've noticed something strange with the mouse sensitivity. It seems to be much more sensitive while standing still than while moving, which is a bit disconcerting. Anyone know why it does this?
    Maybe you're talking about the 'body consciousness' feature that relates to head turning etc. That can make it feel a little odd when you're standing still. I'm not sure how you deal with this, besides just getting used to it...

I know these haven't been the most useful answers, but it's what I know... I didn't want you to feel abandoned until someone more knwledgable happens by!

Hehe thanks for your compassion .

I want the framerate capped at 60, which is my LCD's refresh rate. It works almost as good as vsync as far as video smoothing goes (as long as the framerate is at or above 60), and doesn't cause huge drops in framerate when it dips below 60. I do this for all my 3D games.

Just to make sure, but we are talking about Thief 3 here, right? If so it's doubtfull you're actually hitting 60FPS.

BTW, Vsync is built to limit framerate with refresh rate. Why don't you like it?

Yes, thief 3. I have a very fast system, although it does often dip below 60fps.

Vsync has a few inherent problems, unless the game supports triple buffering. Basically, if I have a refresh rate of 60hz and the game's framerate drops to 59, vsync will cut the framerate to 30. Triple buffering circumvents this, but takes up more video memory. I've also noticed a bit of mouse lag when playing with vsync, although that wouldn't really be an issue in a game like T3.

Capping the game's framerate to my monitor's refresh rate has always worked the best for me.