Thread: Oh no! Not a Tech Tree!

Oh no! Not a Tech Tree!

Oh no! Not a Tech Tree!

I noticed a comment by Vic Flange in another thread that says the development and expertise of different nations would be covered by a Tech Tree. Given my experience of other games like this I would say that I hope it is not the type of Tech Tree that we are accustomed to.

That is to say, many resource management/conquest games that involve strategy/tactics incorporate the idea from "Civilisation" where you build up cities and gain benefits and units. In Rome: Total War and its prececessors players have to build what were historically major cities up from smaller towns and develop buildings that enable them to produce units that were historically available right from the start.

I have never found this realistic nor convincing. It seems like a very easy way to create gameplay and involve the player when the experience and challenge ought to be by means of sophisticated diplomacy with the AI, "intelligent" AI opponents, opportunites for important strategic decisions and the managment of the crises that arise (really engrossing battles and campaigns).

I hope the Tech Tree differs from the ones forced upon players in other such games so that it helps with simulating the milieu rather than contriving gameplay.

Sure.

But some development should be neccesary.. or are we to bvelieve the recruts never carried firearms? Not even the french soldiers during nappy...

But something should be there for the many economical developments under nappy, like standardisation and organisation.

Also wouldnt it be nice to be able to free your serfs as russia... and let them keep their lands, while somehow compensating the nobles. Something that sure was planned, but then decided againt due to costs.... and the appeal sure is there, aside from amancipists, there is the freeing of the entrepeneurial spirit, and all the economicasl development from that
    And all this was much suggested by nappy to his dear friend alexander.
    -----------------------------

But i do agree on being sceptical to tree climbing.
    Perhaps a dual system, where some would be less expensive, rather like (empire wide) choises of societal change.... (unrest?), while leaving other developments as costly investments.

Tech Trees are the only thing that is going to work in a game that isn't fully real time.

BlackCoat,

Nice points, all of them. That is the sort of Tech Tree idea I would like.