Page 4 of 4 First First 1234

Thread: So Your Super-Computer Can't Run Thief?

So Your Super-Computer Can't Run Thief?

I have a Radeon 9600XT and the game runs good with everything on the highest settings apart from resolution and multisampling. No choppiness unless i enter an area with really complex graphics.

my super computer can do it :P

i run this game on max no worries, everything on highest and res at 1280x1024, although i dont have bloom on coz im unsure of its effect, i have v sync off and theres tearing now and then but what would i expect..

im running an athlon 64bit 3000+, 1 gig of DDR, 120gig SATA, 420w PSU, VIA k8t800a and a geforce 6800GT - AGP

Ok boys... ive got a bit of a problem. I just bought TDS and i cant even get it to install. After inserting disk 2 and waiting for a bit, the game says that the wrong volume has been put in. this is odd as i follow all the setup instructions... another time i tried it and after inserting disk 2 everything just froze and i was forced to restart. any help would be appreciated . hope i get this fixed or ill have to take the game back...

Cheers.

No my super computer cannot run thief, though I am mystified as to why. For some reason the intro movie(the one with garett) plays like a bad slideshow and the menus and game run at 7FPS. Im currently running the game at 640x480 with no bloom, AA, AF, shadows or Vsync and low res textures enabled.

Heres my specs:
    Windows XP Professional SP2
    Pentium 4b CPU 2.7GHz
    -540 Mhz FSB
    Biostar U8598
    -VIA P4X400-8235 Chipset
    -Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    1024MB DDR400 RAM (single stick)
    BFG NVIDIA GeForce 6800GT OC
    -256.0 MB VRAM
    -NVidia 78.01 Drivers
    -DirectX 9.0d
    SB Audigy 2 ZS

I have tried :
    Disabling extra services with he instructions at www.Blackviper.com
    Using Spybot-Search and Destroy to remove adware and spyware
    Using Norton to remove any viruses then disabling it
    Over clocking my CPU and Video card
    Formatting my hard drive and reinstalling windows
    Buying a new hard drive
    Un-overclocking my video card and CPU
    Updating my video card drivers

I just cant imagine what would be causing this. Anyone got any ideas?

dude you sure did alot of stuff to get one game to run properly, i'd say your cpu isnt up to scratch and is probably holding back your videocard but that couldnt be the problem. Is it just this game or do others run badly aswell? and just coz i want to know, have you ever ran aquamark 3 on your machine? coz its pretty close to mine in specs, 62000 is my best score.

Hi. Will a FX Geforce FX5200 256MB PCI Graphic Card run Thief 3? I only have regular pci slots. I had a good graphics with my old PC (which broke) but it was AGP. I was really annoyed to find the new PC doesn't have an AGP slot or a PCI express slot.

If this card won't run it would you recommend one that will run it and all new games pretty well?

that card should run it, hows your cpu and ram? and wtf a computer with no AGP or PCIe? and if you want a card that will run new games well just get one with a big number on it, like 6800, or 7800. and a mobo with a port for it.

Originally Posted by gremlinonastick
    ...i'd say your cpu isnt up to scratch and is probably holding back your videocard but that couldnt be the problem.
    I don't think the proc is the issue either - I'm running the game well with a P4 2.53 (533 FSB).

Is your 'board dual-channel RAM capable? If so, using a single RAM stick might be some of it.

Originally Posted by pillaysteven
    Hi. Will a FX Geforce FX5200 256MB PCI Graphic Card run Thief 3?
    It'll run it, but expect it to play like a slideshow, even on the lowest settings! I had the same card, but the AGP version, coupled with an Athlon 64 3000+ a while ago, and the game ran more akin to a slideshow.

I've got a Geforce 6600GT now and it runs DS perfectly, even at the highest settings. I've also tried DS on a Geforce 5700 and a Geforce 6200 and got bad results from those also. You definately get what you pay for when it comes to graphics cards.

10. A little late to the post there Sluggs!

Oh yeah! I didn't notice the date!

Actually, thanks Sluggs, for a useful bit of thread necromancy. Perhaps there are other neo-Luddite Taffers like me who could use some help.

Although I'm a Thief veteran who first broke into Bafford's back in December 1998, I haven't been able to purchase a Thief 3 quality computer until last week. The wonderful T2 fan missions have kept me busy enough.

Anyway, I bought an HP a1510n with the expectation that it could crush Thief 3's demands. (Outside of Thief, I'm not much of a gamer and I don't want to be.) However, the game runs slow and choppy on the highest detail settings and only a little bit better on lower settings. My Garrett, usually nimble and quick, feels like he's a bugbeast on patrol. I'm a little confused.

My system:

Athlon 3800+ (ostensibly 2.4 GHz)
    1024 MB RAM
    GeForce 6150 LE with 256 MB memory (a relatively new card from Nvidia integrated into the machine)
    17 inch flat panel, displaying at 1024 x 1068 or whatever it is
    Lightscribe CD/DVD writer

In short, what the hell's the problem? When I click on system information, sometimes it shows my processor as being 1.8 GHz and sometimes at 980 MHz. I'm guessing I'm not getting enough out of my processor, but I'm not sure what to do about it.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

EDIT: Downloaded AquaMark3, the handy benchmarker noted above, and I got a score of 11,090. CPU about 6,700 and the graphics card a 1,200. Did Nvidia just resell old cards from Apple IIe's?

Sean

I have a sort of similar issue, actually. New computer, so not much on it in terms of spyware etc.

It's an Intel Pentium 4
    2.4 GHz
    1.5 Ram (gigs, that is. . .yeah. . .)
    NVidia GeForce 6200 w/ 256 meg of memory

I'm used to Thief games lagging a bit but it seems this system should be able to run this one?

Also, I have beside me Half-Life 2 which bubbles along happily though I understand that that particular game is something of a feat of engineering.

Page 4 of 4 First First 1234