Thread: Graphics Card

Graphics Card

Graphics Card

I have read a ton of postings on this site concerning graphics cards and which ones are the best. I don't want to start another agrument but I just want to get a good bang for my buck. I have a two and a half year old Gateway computer that will need a new card to run Thief III but I don't want to spend $300+. Any suggestions??

--Brian

Post your video card's name, not the PC's name . If it's an internal card, like Intel Extreme Graphics, forget it. But if it's a RADEON 9000 series or Geforce equivelent, you might stand a chance.

Thanks for the help tealsmith (as you can tell I am a bit unsure). I have a NVIDIA nForce2 (I think). Like I said it came with the computer when I got it 2-3 years ago. What do you think?

I'm guessing here, since you mention nForce2 (that would be the chipset - not the vid card), if the vid card is internal (or on-board, built in - not a separate card in the AGP slot) - it would be an nVidia GF4 MX 128MB shared memory (not supported). In which case, I would suggest a nVidia GeForce FX5900 w/c is in the $200.00 range. I can't suggest ATI since I have no experience with them.

But before you plunk down a hunk of change on a vga card, check your pc's documentation. Just verify that the motherboard does have a VGA slot. Might as well check if you have sufficient memory and if you're running a compatible OS (pre-W2K not supported).

You can't go wrong with ATI 9800 or NV5900. I have both and with Thief the ATI does have some problems with shadows and no matter what drivers I try there still there. Some people have problems with the 9800 yet I don't have any game that wont play they all do. But like Thief it has the shadow thing which should be fixed soon I hope. The 5900 runs thief smooth no problems at all.

Follow the instructions in this thread and post the results so people know what you're currently running.

Taken Care Of

I decided to buy the RADEON 9600 SE 128MB AGP. Installed it yesterday and it worked great. Thanks for the advice everyone!

You got a great card...

Originally posted by Blade
    You got a great card...
    Not really... The SE has a 64 bit memory system, all the other 9600 versions have a 128bit memory system(memory bandwidth that is).

Actually it says on the box that it is 128 MB and 128 Bit?? I don't really know a whole hell of a lot about graphics cards but I got it installed and it runs Thief which is good enough for me.

Hmm. they're not really supposed ot have 128bit memory. That's one of the things they cut to make then so inexpensive.

the 64bit vs 128 bit varies per manufacturer.

Ooooh. Good deal on the 128 bit then!