Thread: Patch!

Patch!

I can certainly sympathize with people who are having problems getting the game to run at a decent framerate, but don't understand why they are having problems with this game personally. I am running it at 800 X 600 w/antialiasing on 2, no bloom or vsync, with everthing else maxed, and the game looks and runs great. I was playing at 1024 X 768 and the game ran fine, but found I could up other settings a bit on the lower res and don't find much difference in appearance. (most likely Xbox porting). And my system certainly isn't top of the line. As far as using Fraps, I don't, because there is no need to. Why people feel the need to constantly check FPS in a game is beyond me. If it's not as high as you think it should be, you can't enjoy the game the way you should as you're always worried about framerate. Lets face it, it's all subjective.

As far as the AI , yes it's a bit wonky here and there, but overall as good as, if not better than any game I've ever played, especially with the bug fix. In the first real mission I was being chased by a guard and ran to the elavator to escape. As I went up he ranted and shook his fists at me and I thought, I'm outa here, no problem. The thing is I didn't get off at the top fast enough and the guard hit the button to send it back down to get me. When I reached the bottom I pushed the button to go back up and ran like hell once I got there. My daughter and her friend watched me as this happend and we all laughed our * off. Another time in the City, I was behind a bar and threw a barrel at one of the citywatch guys and he said. "Who threw that barrel?" I mean it's all scripted but it didn't feel scripted when it happened. This kinda stuff just doesn't happen in most games that I know of and there are more instances like that in the game. And yes the patch has definitely upped the difficulty quite a bit, as I noticed that on hard or expert there are more NPC's and more AI awareness as well.

The physics aren't the greatest, although I do like the way you can throw people off bridges and such which you couldn't do in T1 or 2. But people have to remember that this kind of thing is still fairly new in gaming and needs more refining.

Sorry about the long rant, but IMO I think the game is one of the best in the last four or five years, and don't understand all the *****ing and moaning. I tip my hat to Eidos on this one in keeping the Thief legacy going. I think in a couple of years this game is going to be considered a classic. Wait and see.

Oh my specs
    Athlon 2700+
    R9600 Pro
    512 MB Mem
    XP Home

That statue is supposed to fall over. It's an artistic choice, not a Bug.

More problematic is the number of ways Garrett can find Neverland trying to operate near that statue.

Originally posted by Datoyminaytah
    Any word for the Xbox version? I had heard it would be re-released.
    eidos and ion storm are ignoring us, i dont know if they can think they can just screw xbox users like this, but im spreading the word about the game's flaws and trying to get action taken so that some type of patched version will be released for people that paid and expected a working version of thief 3.

Originally posted by Kinggi
    eidos and ion storm are ignoring us, i dont know if they can think they can just screw xbox users like this, but im spreading the word about the game's flaws and trying to get action taken so that some type of patched version will be released for people that paid and expected a working version of thief 3.
    Patches for a console game? I don't think I've ever heard of that before. Good luck.
    http://blizzard.com/images/war3/item...of-shadows.gifLoyalty above all else... except honor.
    I went to the Cradle and all I got was this stupid t-shirt. Hey, is this blood?

Originally posted by Whatz His Name
    Patches for a console game? I don't think I've ever heard of that before. Good luck.
    They've made a major blunder that is bound to cost them a small fortune... the only way I see them fixing it is to send x-box owners a new, fixed copy. And it should be free of charge to the customer.

On another note, I'm really surprised at the hostility here regarding the patch. You asked for a fix to the AI bug, and it has been delivered, and rather quickly in my opinion. Show me any game that has worked as intended right from the start, without needing a patch here and there. I'll bet you can't.

Frankly, I'd rather have seen a patch that addresses the performance problems. To the people that say there aren't any: just look at the number of people having problems running the game at 640x480 with an acceptable frame rate (myself included). Don't be naive... there definitely is a problem.

Originally posted by vortex
    Show me any game that has worked as intended right from the start, without needing a patch here and there. I'll bet you can't.

Tomb Raider: The Lost Atrifact (TR3 Gold), didn't need a patch.

Looks like I won the bet. What did I win?

Another Eidos game IIRC, probably just ignored :P

Originally posted by vortex
    They've made a major blunder that is bound to cost them a small fortune... the only way I see them fixing it is to send x-box owners a new, fixed copy. And it should be free of charge to the customer.
    That will never happen. If they did, it would set a prescient that would effect all game developers. I, for one, have numerous games that were all hype and turned out to be crap. I would love for the game developers to bow down and my feet while handing me new updated versions of the games but I know that will never happen. Keep dreaming on that issue.

Frankly, I'd rather have seen a patch that addresses the performance problems. To the people that say there aren't any: just look at the number of people having problems running the game at 640x480 with an acceptable frame rate (myself included). Don't be naive... there definitely is a problem.
    Take the same advice. Don't be naive. Not all their problems are due to the game.
    http://blizzard.com/images/war3/item...of-shadows.gifLoyalty above all else... except honor.

"That will never happen. If they did, it would set a prescient that would effect all game developers. I, for one, have numerous games that were all hype and turned out to be crap. I would love for the game developers to bow down and my feet while handing me new updated versions of the games but I know that will never happen. Keep dreaming on that issue. "

oh look more pc elitests that could care less for xbox users, if you have nothing useful to say other than keep dreaming, shut the hell up. And maybe you havent heard of the patches already released for games over xbox live, or maybe the replacement with updated discs before, because i have. When a game is broken, it needs to be fixed, not ignored. Especially when people paid 50$ for it.

Oh calm down and don't be so childish. Whatever the facts, from what I can tell, at least, Xbox live is only usable by games that have been programed with multiplayer in mind and Eidos are in serious financial trouble, so there are your reasons.

oh look more pc elitests that could care less for xbox users, if you have nothing useful to say other than keep dreaming, shut the hell up. And maybe you havent heard of the patches already released for games over xbox live, or maybe the replacement with updated discs before, because i have. When a game is broken, it needs to be fixed, not ignored. Especially when people paid 50$ for it.
    Computers verses consoles does not apply here. I am looking at game history. Computer games, due to the internet, have been able to be updated by patches while console games have not. So watch who you tell to "shut the hell up".

I have a PS1 and a PS2. I have games for both that are crappy yet I still mildly enjoy playing them. Using your logic above, the developers of those games OWE IT TO ME to update the games and send me a new version. Hey, if you can get them to do it, by all means, do it. I would love to have better versions of those crappy games.

Originally posted by Moosenoodles
    Ok basically,,

When i play the game i hit "W" key to run and he runs, then after i stop using the "W" key to run and use the shift key to start walking slowly, to sneak about etc, and go back to runnning with the "W" key, the character still stays in walking mode, Ive not altered any key bindings its all default.

Ii just cant get it to constantly stay in run mode with the "W" key and walk with shifted keys.. Its weird its like the movement controls go mental on me..

really annoying the game is fun but when i need to run and i cant it tends to spoil it for me..
    I've had the very same problem as well....

Lyril Guest

Thumbs Up

Thanks, GM and Eidos for the quick response.

Now, for an editor. I can just imagine what some of the brightest FM creators would do with T3. If only . . . .

The patch actually broke my copy. No text anywhere, and none of the NPCs would initialize after installing it. Other than that, I've had no problems with the game.

A good patch will be one that will fix all the bugs, except AI bug that allready been fixed.
    The bugs that need to be fixed could be easy posted in a "Bug Report" thread !!
    The most "wanted" bugs (for me) are :
    - the shadows bugs
    - the "geting stuck" bug, i mean you have to jump forever to get out between two dead bodies, or some other things !!
    - the "drowning" bug, for example if you knock a guard or a civilian and then you drop his body in watter he will not drown
    - the "knocking death" bug, for example if you knock down anybody and the "corpse" is found by a gurard or a civ they will say that the person its dead !!

Smile

when people paid 50$ for it.
    That is one of the great things to using a PC vs. console. I paid only $27 for the game on sale, and on the same day it hit the shelf. Besides being quite a bit more flexible, It seems PC versions are always cheaper than consoles.

Thanks for the Patch Eidos. I finished on Normal and can now start on Expert. However, I think I'll wait until another patch comes out before replaying the game on Expert.

To all those whiners who are complaining about the patch not containing enough fixes:

It takes allot of time to do these fixes. Software development is not a magical process and does not happen in a few weeks. If they release a patch right away then it is ignorant to expect that it is going to be a large patch.

We just need to wait and be patient and hopefully they will fix everybodies issues.

when ultima 9 come out there was a bug with installing!
    i was then thay sent me a update disk in the mail...
    the update disk was the hole install disk!!

This AI bug is big to be on X-Box
    and about X-box live well most of the people i know that have X-Box dont have X-BOX Live Or dsl Cable!

so how well thay update the game inless eidos sends them a update disk

Originally posted by Feiht
    so how will they update the game unless eidos sends them a update disk
    Looking at console gaming history, I doubt they will. You may be out of luck. In console gaming history, there has only been a VERY few exceptions to the update rule. You can probably count them on one hand. I seriously doubt this game will be one of those cases.

i think you guys talking about "the game runs fine on my crappy system so you shouldn't complain" need to see the real picture here.

there is obviously performance issues with this game. just because your subjective perception of "runs fine" is completely out of whack with the objective reality (that you're getting 10fps), doesn't mean you need to diss everyone who is complaining about the performance.

the nice thing about FRAPS is it lets people across the board objectively compare their performance. and obviously, all because you are retarded and think 10fps is running great so why bother checking the fps, there are other people who want an objective measure of running great.

considering the human eye can't distinguish anything above 25fps or so (thats what TV runs at btw), anything BELOW 25fps is definitely noticeable and choppy. therefore you need glasses if your crappy system running it at 10fps LOOKS FINE.

thank you.

"probably because you are running it at 640x480 with EVERY option turned down.

and probably because you aren't running FRAPS so you may not see an objective measure of the slowdown or performance you are getting. i bet you are running around 15fps, which is terrible.

try downloading FRAPS and checking your framerate."

It's so terrible he barely notices it, and doesn't complain. You know, even after 30-40 FPS, there is almost no difference at all. Add to that that this guy seems to be playing fine with "15" FPS, I'd say there's no problem.

he barely notices it because he's an idiot.

anyone who doesn't think 10-15fps for a game makes it basically unplayable is an idiot.

i can imagine the backlash if all the sudden your cable tv started coming through at 10fps. if you've ever watched a basketball game, you might be inclined to want 25fps.

then again, you might be an idiot.

Originally posted by east1999
    then again, you might be an idiot.
    could be you, you just stated a bunch of false information.

like your teeth??

Page 3 of 6 First First 123456 Last