Thread: Patch!

Patch!

Rolleyes Come on !

Come on Eidos you're proving yourselves as idiots ! Releasing a patch to only fix tha AI BUG ! Come on people have already fixed that themselves !! Why couldn't you release the patch for fixing that Performance Issue ! More people are concerned abou that !! I wouldn't have expected this from you Eidos !

I am not playing the game until you fix this bloody bug !
    My Machine

AMD Athlon XP 2600+
    [MSI] GeForce Fx 5600 128mb Seagate 120Gb HardDisk with 8M Cache
    500Mb DDR RAM
    SoundCard Eax 3 supported
    Windows XP Pro

Excellent Timing! I just finished the game on Normal level...and was thinking of what I will do until I can play at Expert...then wala! The patch for that is here!

For those who are going to say bad things at the nice people at Eidos et. la. for releasing this patch I would like you first to right click on the folder where you installed Thief3 and select properties and count how many files there are...mine says 853. I'd like to point out that there's just the one T3main.exe file, but inside of that file are many seperate program modules which open, read, write, etc. all the rest of the files. Each of these modules are probably being worked on by different people. I'm sure many of those modules are not completed yet because Eidos IS fixing every bug we tell them about. But, evidently the AI difficulty bug was easy to fix so instead of making us wait until all the the other bug fixes were ready they decided to release the 1.1 patch.

It's good that they got the patch out. I've read somewhere that this 1.1 also improves the AI and some other little tweaks...

I bet they have more tweaks and bugs being repaired but as this was maybe the worst of them I think they wanted to correct this as soon as possbile and publish the other fixes later...

Cool. This bug was a deal-breaker for me. What was the point of playing Expert if the guards were blind as a bat and deaf as... something with bad hearing? Ahem.

I for one am glad this was fixed and released as soon as possible. If only we can get the editor released now.

Re: Come on !

Originally posted by Destroyer

I am not playing the game until you fix this bloody bug !
    I don't really think Eidos cares wether you play the game or not.

I myself really appreciate the patch you really feel that the game is a bit harder.

I wish they would fix the damn bugs where if you fall in certain places you can't freakin' GET OUT no matter how many times you jump (i.e. when you have to jump into a chest to get the loot, then you get stuck permanently and have to reload)

Also, same thing when you're running and get "slowed down" when passing by a rock or something sticking out...

Re: Re: Come on !

Originally posted by Kenshin100
    I don't really think Eidos cares wether you play the game or not.
    Well, they should...

The performance I get with this game is apalling, on pretty much the best PC money can buy when other visually better games run twice as fast... They need to fix this, unless they are in the market of releasing shabby second rate games...

But then the problem is your PC and not the game

I get a constant fast performance with my 9600 Pro...and I really can't imagine people with better cards having problems but well...

Dream on, FarCry runs solid and smooth at full detail, UT2k4 runs like silk at full detail... Thief3... erm like poo ...and thats on a 5900Ultra! So, you still think its my system?

Originally posted by FrozenNorth
    It's good that they got the patch out. I've read somewhere that this 1.1 also improves the AI and some other little tweaks...
    What other little tweaks and who says so?
    I have been playing with Thiefbot and setting AI-difficulty factors to something like 5.0000 and up only starts to make some really noticeable differences in AI's behaviour.

So the values Normal difficulty has got are 1.0000 for both visual/audio and Expert has got 1.2000/1.1300. What a tiny difference, practically barely noticeable I'd say.

But perhaps there really is a lot bigger 1.2 patch coming up and this was only "warming up"... or then again, not.

I enjoy the game but I really think Eidos should have addressed the poor gaming performance which is the biggest concern and problem to most users, rather than handing out some simplistic AI patch. Seems like a growing trend with these companies, sending out infested/unfinished software and leaving the consumers with a flaky product. Eidos has lost this longtime fan. My machine is WELL beyond what Eidos recommends for this game and I still get subpar performance. My system will run "Far Cry" at max settings with virtually no slowdown! My system needs ne tweaking.

Originally posted by pablo2k4
    Dream on, FarCry runs solid and smooth at full detail, UT2k4 runs like silk at full detail... Thief3... erm like poo ...and thats on a 5900Ultra! So, you still think its my system?
    Now Thief 3 isn't the best optimised but I'm sick to death of the clueless slating it because they don't realise the extent of some of the shadow rendering or certain other aspects or can't damn well set up their computers. It's truly pathetic and I'm sure I'm not the only person to feel this way. Now if I can run it beautifully smoothly with good fitlering applied at max detail on my R9700 then you are clearly doing something wrong, lying, have a driver issue or just don't have a clue what you *should* be getting with the engine. Thief is made in a version of the Unreal engine, the similarities end there. It has been updated endlessly with line after line of change, code and other details, and it's only the graphics engine it's using. The textures are a little low res but other than that I have to say the graphics in Thief 3 are very advanced. Cut the crap and whining, and do us all a favor.[/rant]

@guineapiggy thanks you took the words out of my mouth
    @pablo...my system runs fine with every game mentioned...so it can't be the game itself which causes the problems...also the Geforce FX is always a little bad on pixel shader games so yeah I still think it's your system ^_^

Originally posted by pablo2k4
    Dream on, FarCry runs solid and smooth
    Originally posted by Marka1620
    My system will run "Far Cry" at max settings with virtually no slowdown!
    If the Far Cry's engine was to produce the shadows, that Thief 3 does, this could have been a valuable point, but since it wasn't...

Im surprised that Edios even made a Patch for it. Probably the last one to see, for a lack there of. It doesnt matter how bad we beg for a patch,mod kit, etc.

lol, I have to say...this games performance is as bad as when they released Grand Theft Auto III for PC.

well im glad your 9600 Pro runs thief 3 good?!?!?
    But here on my side i have Nvidia.. and if im right thats what thief3 was made to play best on. Now how is it when i have GF FX 5900, and Beat thief3 four times, it runs slow....

And as for the AI Patch, it sucks
    for one after installing the patch and playing the game,
    i seen that the AI was the same as it was...running right past a AI in the light , a AI will see you hear you and say who is that or what ever. then look for about 10-20s then give up.
    And if a AI comes up to you all you have to do is wall flatten.
    iv had AIs walk right past me even hit me when wall flatten

My experience playing on Expert (and loading a saved game):

Before the patch, if I bumped into someone in the dark, they didn't react. After the patch, they yelp and start to chop me to bits.

Before the patch, if I was flattened to the wall, no one ever found me. After the patch, they do find me if they're searching near to my hiding place (and again, death follows). Someone who is not already alerted will still walk right by.

In both cases, it does take the guard a moment or two to realize there's someone there to hack.

Maybe your computer is too loaded. I am playing the game on a computer that doesn't even meet the minimum standards for the game. Yes, there are some slow down, but not much. I have gone as far as dismissing the idea of getting a new computer. Why do I need one when I can play Thief with little to no problems with a crappy computer? Here are my specs:

750 mHz PIII CPU
    512 megs of RAM
    Geforce 3 Ti 200 Video Card

Why is it that most of the people who have complained about performance issues have computers that could blow mine out of the water? I haven't had a fraction of the problems that they have.
    http://blizzard.com/images/war3/item...of-shadows.gifLoyalty above all else... except honor.
    I went to the Cradle and all I got was this stupid t-shirt. Hey, is this blood?

probably because you are running it at 640x480 with EVERY option turned down.

and probably because you aren't running FRAPS so you may not see an objective measure of the slowdown or performance you are getting. i bet you are running around 15fps, which is terrible.

try downloading FRAPS and checking your framerate.

Originally posted by Feiht
    well im glad your 9600 Pro runs thief 3 good?!?!?
    But here on my side i have Nvidia.. and if im right thats what thief3 was made to play best on. Now how is it when i have GF FX 5900, and Beat thief3 four times, it runs slow....
    OK, well I have an nVidia FX 5900 Ultra and I'm getting fine performance. I have yet to bother running FRAPS to check because it looks fine to me so why would I care about a number.

Yes, I notice the issue with people lining up to get blackjacked. Yes I notice the clipping (sometimes severe) but I can't say it runs slow. Not at all.

What is your criteria for slow?

padillaH

Originally posted by east1999
    probably because you are running it at 640x480 with EVERY option turned down.

and probably because you aren't running FRAPS so you may not see an objective measure of the slowdown or performance you are getting. i bet you are running around 15fps, which is terrible.

try downloading FRAPS and checking your framerate.
    Why? So we can have a number? If we are willing to accept the performance as good then we're done.

If you are looking for benchmarks, that's a different question.

Acceptable performance is relative.
    padillaH

I dont think you get it?!?
    I can be in the path way of where an AI is walking, A AI will walk right in to me when wall flatten, know that some ones there
    get out there weapon and look for me the other way!!

Of course you do dear.

maybe you know about building em, my guess is you know crap about how to maintain em.

Fix This

I'm about as big a Thief fan as they come... And I admit I'm having fun with the latest installment. I'm glad they fixed the "AI bug" with this patch, but I wish they had fixed the physics issues as well! The odd contortions the baddies fall into after beaning them on the noggin is nothing short of ridiculous, and detracts from the game. Also, for instance, when in the Museum: You can accidentally bump into a 15' tall stone statue and have it rock back and forth and makes tons of noise. But if you want to move a chair out of your way though, you have to push against it for 3-4 seconds until it flies off into the sunset! I had hoped they learned hard lessons from DE:IW, but apparently not.

Page 2 of 6 First First 123456 Last