Page 15 of 15 First First ... 51112131415

Thread: Please make Final Fantasy like you used too!

Please make Final Fantasy like you used too!

"SE needs to try and stay on top of todays market" - ever since leaving the FF-standards and gameplay between 1-10 the media and general public haven't exactly been overwhelmed with the latest titles (except ARR). They need to stop trying to "westernize" their titles and go for true JRPG feel and look - thats what people want from the FF brand. Story, lovable characters, stunning visuals, good music and turned-based combat style.

I recently finished lightning returns........seriously? What kind of FF title was that? -GAME!!!! A total mess!!! =(

I've just got to say this.

I just want to say that, to me, XIII-LR was not worthy of the title "Final Fantasy." I know it's not always possible to make games that can measure up to FFVI, FFVII, Xenogears, Chrono trigger, Chrono cross, or the Parasite Eve series. That said, Final Fantasy VI is the reason I got into this series, and VII was just awesome. Every Final Fantasy game after, however, was more of a disappointment than the last, and LR simply shattered my faith in this series. The characters and music of final fantasy VI were truly deep, the world around them a sort of ethereal expanse of the mind, the music evoked a sort of hypnotic intensity that made the contrast between balanced and ruined landscapes almost real. My favorite theme of all time, Aria di Mezzo Carattere, by Uematsu, was otherworldly.

FFVII followed this release with a world that kept the spirit of the series, and characters that were more than just pretty faces and jaded attitudes. FFXIII-LR was the exact opposite, lots of form, but no matter. I suppose that sums up my point without going into more of a tirade, I have had to make a harsh criticism of the series to express my feelings toward it, but that's the way I see it. If people enjoyed these later games, that's fine with me, but I won't pretend to understand why.

I should clarify what I am criticizing: when the series goes back to its roots on a substantial level, like Final Fantasy XII did by having magicite be part of its universe, I can appreciate that it brings in a nice sense of togetherness. Having ONLY silly things like Cactuars from one game to another would be like having a Jar Jar Binks cameo in every Star Wars film. My greatest criticism with this series is that it has become like playing dress up with dolls. Having to run around with characters like Vaan is not my idea of fun. I think the mythos of the realms that these games take place in should be a bigger part of the overall Make-Up of the story to lend depth to the worlds in which these games take place. When I think about the physics and background oft he XIII series and ask "Why?" I don't really have a clear answer. That's just me though.

I genuinely don't understand what you're arguing about.

How is nonsense like "magicite" any more of going back to roots than chocobos and crystals is? The crystal thing in particular, I'd say that, if anything, would be the theme of Final Fantasy, and the XIII series has it in spades.

"Like playing dress up with dolls" really only works for LR and maybe X-2 (haven't played X-2). But even for LR, there was a very real story behind it that could stand in the place of the "dress up with dolls."

The mythos of the realms should be bigger? What exactly do you mean by mythos? Do you mean all the stuff with Etro Pulse and Lindzei? or are you talking about the common Final Fantasy stuff like...crystals.

And what in the world do you mean by "physics and background"? I don't know what physics has to do with it, and the background is plain enough, in the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythos. I will agree that the XIII series doesn't mention that hardly at all, but that's hardly a singular fault of XIII. I still don't know a thing about the Ancients/Cetra except that they can cast Holy, We don't know a single thing about Jenova and her alien race. I have absolutely no understanding of the significance of the Turks (what's special about them?). VII is just as bad or worse when it comes to not explaining things.

As for the characters thing in your first post, it sounds like you just don't like jaded attitudes. Which is fine, but just because the characters of LR are jaded doesn't make them bad or one-dimensional. They're certainly no more one-dimensional than Cloud's "SOLDIER SEPHIROTH SOLDIER SEPHIROTH ZACH" or Tifa's "CLOUD CLOUD CLOUD CLOUD AVALANCHE" or Barrett's racist "RAARGH &^%^" *unintelligent angry black man* or Yuffie's "QUIRKY QUIRKY QUIRKY QUIRKY MATERIA!!!" or Cid's "RAARGH $#&$@ SHINRA SHINRA SHINRA" or Vincent's "BROOD BROOD BROOD BROOD" or Sephie's "MOTHER MOTHER MOTHER MOTHER MOTHER."

From a story perspective, Final Fantasy is absolutely fine. Now, you might start questioning from a gameplay perspective (at least with LR and XV, because XIII and XIII-2 pretty much have VII's system), and I certainly wouldn't argue, but the story is really alright.

Lighting returns is a fun game but it is quite different from the previous ff titles in terms of gameplay, there's not much final fantasy in it. But I don't like to compare between games generally, each ff offers different gameplay/story that can be good or bad depending on the persons preference.

Where Final Fantasy went wrong, and how Square Enix is putting it right
    ― interesting US Gamer article with candid thoughts from Final Fantasy devs past, present & future.

Originally Posted by Grimoire
    ― interesting US Gamer article with candid thoughts from Final Fantasy devs past, present & future.
    Thank you for posting that. I just read it.

In my opinion, I would like the remake of FF7 to be turn based like the classic on the Playstation. I also want bonus contents, voice acting, improve graphic similar to Dissidia cutscenes (not the intro and ending) and maybe extra side quests and/or cutscenes. I love the cuteness of the styles so I want them to keep that in. And just like what someone posted on this forum, they should release this with Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus (and maybe Advent Children Complete) in a bundle just like what they did for FF10 and FF10-2.

I also like to said that for future Final Fantasy titles they should try to experiment with turn based combat and see if they can evolve it into a better combat system that stay true to Final Fantasy. Another idea is to let players have a choice between turn based and real action based combat that they can change during the game in the option menu. If they don't like turn based then they can stick to real action, and if they don't like real action then they can go to turn based (just like in Dissidia). They might have a problem if there's not much memory spaces for them to do that... or maybe they can find another way to pleased the fans.

This is just my opinion on what I like to see in the games. I have a different taste compare to other gamers.

And before I forget, I would like for them to complete the FF7 compilation. They left us with that little secret cliffhanger at the end of Dirge of Cerberus.

Reading that did absolutely nothing to make me feel better about the future of the series. I had a small sliver of hope, when they said that Bravely Default had made them refocus on "heavy JRPGs". But, after reading this, all of my past fears are still there. Future FFs will all be action-RPGs. Even remakes of old games will be bastardized into action-RPGs.

I'm done with this ridiculous series.

Very interesting.

Unrelated:
    "If I were to compare the differences between the previous console generation transition and the latest transition to the PlayStation 4/Xbox One, I would say that as long as the game is developed on a high-spec PC, it’s much easier today to make that technological transition. This is because with respect to the visual expression, shader-based technology is still used today."

You're killing me, Square. Killing me.

FF XV is being developed on a high-spec PC, so , Square-Enix, don't do the same that you did with the FF XIII series in FF XV.

SE, listen your fans, announce the Final Fantasy XV for Steam/PC with Steam Trading Cards.
    Last edited by mike_ptbr; 10th May 2014 at 19:34.

THE IDEA THAT WOULD CHANGE EVERYTHING

I know you already tired of reading this. So many fans say that. But the key to a good game is stop playing around with little games like theathryum and focus on a Final Fantasy game different of everything we already play in the others but with all the things that makes a game be a Final Fantasy for the new Gen (including PC).
    Final Fantasy XV will be just like Final Fantasy XIII. It's a shame. To do a game better than FF VII today, think in a storyline big and epic, with plot twists and surprises , memorable characters that don't looks like the others (for example: Tifa=Rinoa=Garnet, Yuna=Ashe=Lightning, Squall have the same personality of Cloud and Cecil, the same for Selphie and Penelo, Auron and Basch).
    The game needs all ithe Summons already made and others (if they be cool, what the hell is Zodiark???) and they need to be controlable like the characters. All the monsters too, and the news need to be memorables (it's hard invent a monster charismatic like the behemoths, cactuars and Tomberrys?).
    The bigger open world game of the history, with controlable ships, airships, vehicles. All NPC need to be interactive. Gigant sidequests, a war going in the world, a apocalypse like the Meteor. Villains that chill our bones. A good gameplay like FF XII (but it's my opinion). One thing awesome that need to be in this game it would be the Rare Game and Hunts of FFXII. The Weapons in FF VII, Monster Arena of FF X. Things happening in every place, a not-in-line storyline, secret hard to find places and characters. Big quests for big prizes and gigantic quests for gigantic prizes (like a 4 hour quest in a place who don't appear in the world map to fight the 1st summon).
    I don't know if this will be readaed by someone who cares, but it's what all the FF fans want.
    And for portables, why don't make final fantasy tactics multiplayer with the storyline of other ff games? Or even adds to the good and old FF Tactics? And not only for 3DS, but for Android, iOS, Windows Phone and yes: PC.
    After this, please do our blessed FF Remakes (the most importants are IV, VI, VII and VIII) and FF XII for PC, multiplayer with DLC's.

I just hope SE focuses on the future of Final Fantasy being more "expansive" and less "narrow". The worlds should open up more and more as you progress through the stories. -"Go on a journey through a vast and expansive world."- That's what 'every' "Final Fantasy" should be all about.

Why Final Fantasy’s Very First Ultima Spell Was Useless (Siliconera)
    - Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi reveals why the Ultima spell, introduced in Final Fantasy II, didn't work the way it was supposed to.

Originally Posted by KenpachiDaniel
    I know you already tired of reading this. So many fans say that. But the key to a good game is stop playing around with little games like theathryum and focus on a Final Fantasy game different of everything we already play in the others but with all the things that makes a game be a Final Fantasy for the new Gen (including PC).
    Final Fantasy XV will be just like Final Fantasy XIII. It's a shame. To do a game better than FF VII today, think in a storyline big and epic, with plot twists and surprises , memorable characters that don't looks like the others (for example: Tifa=Rinoa=Garnet, Yuna=Ashe=Lightning, Squall have the same personality of Cloud and Cecil, the same for Selphie and Penelo, Auron and Basch).
    The game needs all ithe Summons already made and others (if they be cool, what the hell is Zodiark???) and they need to be controlable like the characters. All the monsters too, and the news need to be memorables (it's hard invent a monster charismatic like the behemoths, cactuars and Tomberrys?).
    The bigger open world game of the history, with controlable ships, airships, vehicles. All NPC need to be interactive. Gigant sidequests, a war going in the world, a apocalypse like the Meteor. Villains that chill our bones. A good gameplay like FF XII (but it's my opinion). One thing awesome that need to be in this game it would be the Rare Game and Hunts of FFXII. The Weapons in FF VII, Monster Arena of FF X. Things happening in every place, a not-in-line storyline, secret hard to find places and characters. Big quests for big prizes and gigantic quests for gigantic prizes (like a 4 hour quest in a place who don't appear in the world map to fight the 1st summon).
    I don't know if this will be readaed by someone who cares, but it's what all the FF fans want.
    And for portables, why don't make final fantasy tactics multiplayer with the storyline of other ff games? Or even adds to the good and old FF Tactics? And not only for 3DS, but for Android, iOS, Windows Phone and yes: PC.
    After this, please do our blessed FF Remakes (the most importants are IV, VI, VII and VIII) and FF XII for PC, multiplayer with DLC's.
    Yes to all these. and I hope this can be quoted a lot, just so's SE can read it! They must do these things! It's nicer if they also follow how Western RPGs deal with dialogue. A conversation with 4-5 possible responses, not just brief phrases that you can select. It gives a more "movie-feel" to an RPG, and there is much more interaction if they follow that system of dialogue! That's why I got hooked into playing Monkey Island in the first place! (an RPG, technically, because of the storyline)

Page 15 of 15 First First ... 51112131415