Thread: Ivalice

Ivalice

Ivalice

Final Fantasy titles set in the world of Ivalice are always so interesting, Final Fantasy XII was a great addition. Who isn't captivated by the medieval charm of these games. All in all I just feel it's a well crafted universe that inspires both fantasy and realistic features. Anyone else share this interest?
    “Turn to the light. Don't fear the shadow it creates.”

Yes. I always wanted more for the alliance... TA and TA2 had such a great class system, FF12 was fun to play, and all had unique races/world that where different than elves/dwarves of traditional fantasy games, but without making boring races like some mmo fantasies try to do instead

I love them too. I like Ivalice's portrayal in Tactics and Vagrant Story the best though. There's something so dark about how the world is portrayed in those games.

I completely agree with you on the dark theme both those games charactered. It seems to be the heart of Ivalice's world and just striking in that aspect~ Vagrant Story and Tactics are my old-school favourites for delving into such.

FFT War of the Lions is my favorite portayal of Ivalice. Ramza, Delita, all of it.

I never even finished Vagrant Story, but I am consistently overwhelmed with how beautifully dark and sometimes spooky that world is. Hell, seeing daylight for the first time is bizarre!

so quiet in here . Many people in in forum seem to dislike in Ivalice

Originally Posted by Azure

Final Fantasy XII's strongly political storyline turned off a lot of fans of the series, as did the mmo-like combat (essentially functioning as an mmo, but with pause and play combat to make up for the lack of additional players to control your party members), which killed interest in Reventant Wings as well. FFT, TA, TA2, and Vagrant story are more spin-offs to the main series, and as a result aren't nearly as popular.

I liked the politics driven plot. It was a good refresher from the Science Fiction and Fantasy themed plots of the previous FF titles.

Originally Posted by Jalian
    Originally Posted by Azure

Final Fantasy XII's strongly political storyline turned off a lot of fans of the series, as did the mmo-like combat (essentially functioning as an mmo, but with pause and play combat to make up for the lack of additional players to control your party members), which killed interest in Reventant Wings as well. FFT, TA, TA2, and Vagrant story are more spin-offs to the main series, and as a result aren't nearly as popular.
    I don’t think that the political theme is the reason for turning off a lot of fans, because the essence of FF is to present a unique story every sequel, I guess the reason was the characters.

The characters are cool but their personalities and emotions lacked true depth. (That caused a weak relationship between the player and the characters) and the scenes when they have conversations with each others were rare so also no strong relationship between characters themselves. So you can’t care much about the story if you didn’t care much about the characters…..you may understand from what I’m saying that I hate FFXII,but that is wrong I loved it .maybe its story is not my favorite but the gameplay alone make it one of my best FF titles.

many of the characters where actually deep... Balthier and Fran have become fan favorites. Basch was intended by the writers to be the main character, and his story is actually somewhat personal... a fight between him and his brother. Ashe even has a personal hatred for Vayne, who is responsible for the suffering that both her homeland and Basch/Gabranth's homeland have had. Its the main two characters who don't really matter... Vaan and Penelo have a strong start but once they join the others, they kind of just observe and only interact with each other (although its implied that Basch becomes a close friend of theirs and Balthier and Fran begin training the two to be sky pirates). I honestly don't have an issue with their lack of purpose in the story, because the story is so political, and they are just dumb street kids... if I was to join a group like that, I certainly wouldn't be the leader; I would have no idea what I was doing. They try to give Vaan more reason to be with the party by making the original main character's "villain" become Vaan's as well, by making him responsible for killing Vaan's brother. The issue with the characters is, I think, more stuff is implied that outright shown in cutscenes (there is a lot fewer cutscenes than FF10), the relationships are implied in the cutscenes but it is not shown how they actually develop.

I don’t want implied relationships nor intended main hero. I want to see everything with my own eyes.Believe me if this story has a different title no one would ever complain.

It has 6 controllable characters in my opinion they are divided to two groups each group has 3 characters, either of them looked out casted because the other three and the differences between them.

First group Ashe ,Penelo and Vaan

Ashe had her reasons to fight and emotions towards her husband…but that alone can’t make her an outstanding character, especially all other characters were protecting her because she is a princess. I myself didn’t care if she reaches her goal or not (unlike Yuna who shares similar role.Yuna left deeper impression) I honestly wanted Ashe to die so she could pass the throne to Bash XD

I don’t agree that penelo and vaan were hopeless and that led to limited role .because they represent the young poor people who suffered from the empire and wanted to rebel for a better future…that noble role is important because there are dozens of people in real world who share the same situation.so it was a mistake that square enix only added them so the game will appeal to younger players, without stressing on their major role in political conflicts and giving them more depth.

Second group…the other three

The second group was more interesting and better designed, and yet I always felt I wanted more from them.

And about Vain .The true value of any villain is not his evil intention and actions but the true reasons that made him/her evil, so Vain looked more meanie than a true evil villain.

All in all the character themselves are not bad but we need to spend more time with them ,the game is rich with vast areas so why not filling them with more cut-scenes and events.

Originally Posted by Lumina

And about Vain .The true value of any villain is not his evil intention and actions but the true reasons that made him/her evil, so Vain looked more meanie than a true evil villain.

Vayne wasn't really evil. That was part of the political story line... he had politcal goals. He is the only FF villain who seeks to control/rule instead of destroy. His brothers where apparently the same way, and since his father is already Emperor, it runs in the family. He is just an ambitious man with a good mind for both politics and military.

So his name is Vayne not Vain sorry my bad…^_^;

Yes, you have a point, he is different from other ff villains in that sense, but I’m only criticizing the characters developments and depth, comparing to other FF those elements are weak in FFXII.

I felt that other bosses in ff gave the player deeper reasons to eliminate them. And we sympathized with some of them too. Honestly the only reason I wanted to meet Vayne was because I knew it will be the last battle and final battles are usually tough and fun, and yeah it was one of my favorites battles in ffxii.

Originally Posted by Lumina

So his name is Vayne not Vain sorry my bad…^_^;

Yes, you have a point, he is different from other ff villains in that sense, but I’m only criticizing the characters developments and depth, comparing to other FF those elements are weak in FFXII.

I felt that other bosses in ff gave the player deeper reasons to eliminate them. And we sympathized with some of them too. Honestly the only reason I wanted to meet Vayne was because I knew it will be the last battle and final battles are usually tough and fun, and yeah it was one of my favorites battles in ffxii.

You are right, while I don't think he is as bad as Barthandalus or Oprhan (honestly the only fight I felt something for in FF13 was against Cid Raines), but Vayne really isn't the best villain for the cast of characters. Maybe if Ashe was the main character, but he really is the foil of Larsa more than anyone else... and Larsa, as awesome as he is, is a supporting character who joins occasionally (but still has more change than anyone in the party).

I agree with the sentiments of the how weak some of the characters felt, to be honest, for most of the game I wasnt sure who the main villian was, whether Vayne, Cid or the Ocuria(Not sure if i spelt that right). I would have liked some of the features they left out to be included like being able to recruit other characters for mob hunts and general charatcers, and a few mini games would have been welcomed, the world of Ivalice has enough scale and history for some awesome games. Maybe if they make an HD Ps3 or Vita port they could add more of the features they left out due to the limitation of the Ps2 not being present anymore.

I also wished Zodiarks form actually changed when it changes into its adult form instead of simply getting massive wings.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid there are more chances to see a Vita port than PS3 port, and limitations of the Vita are not so far from the ones of the PS2.

There was the Balfonheim race but that wasn't enough for mini games.

Apart from that I really liked the world of Ivalice, and can't wait to play Vagrant Story or FFT to see more of it.