Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Patch Wishlist

Patch Wishlist

Patch Wishlist

Hi,

just wanted to get an overview on what you guys want from the upcoming Thief 3 patch. Its obvious that some minor bug fixes will surely be provided with the patch, but just list down what you would like to see added or improved with this upcoming patch.

Here is what I think should be improved:

- overall performance
    - solve the jerkiness issue (please refer to my thread, "multisampling causing the jerky effect ?"
    - missing texture surfaces often seen in high places while wall climbing
    - guards/civilians voice volume should be slightly reduced
    - fix the obvious bug where garret sometimes hovers while carrying a body (in 3rd person view)
    - provide the best possible solution to the major weird physics bug where enemies fold in 2 after being blackjacked.... (opinion: make the enemy lean a bit forward after being hit by the blackjack, and just before the physics engine is initiated, instead of letting the body simply drop down like a curtain. That should do the trick !)
    - try to give Garrett the ability to lean around corners while in the "Back-to-Wall" state (like in Splinter Cell).
    - let the broadhead arrows stick into enemies once they are shot.... like when you fire an arrow into wood. This should give us the ability to retreive the arrows back from the corpses.
    - dunno if its possible, but please try to make garrett, guards and other civilians to walk up and down the stairs properly..... producing a good realistic look.... like in Hitman Contracts. (not just simply floating over steps and jerking up and down while doing it).

Thats what I can think of right now.

Thanks for reading and participating in advance.
    TheTerminator.
    "There is no Knowledge, that is not Power!"

----------------------------------------------
    My Rig:

AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (with Cooler Master AERO 7+ CPU fan)
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard (nForce 2 chipset, 333Mhz FSB, 8X AGP)
    [Hercules 3D Prophet] ATi Radeon 9800PRO 128Mb (AGP 8X, 380Mhz Core Clock - NOT overclocked)
    Current Graphics Card Driver - ATi Catalyst 4.6
    IBM 160Gb HardDisk with 8Mb cache 7200rpms (cooled off with Cooler Master - Cool Drive 4)
    1.00Gb DDR RAM @ dual channel mode (Samsung)
    Creative Sound Blaster Audigy (EAX Advanced HD - supporting EAX 4.0)
    [Golden Power Silent] 400W Power Supply Unit (with 12cm fan)
    Windows XP Professional (all windows updates downloaded)

There ain't gonna be a patch. 'nuff said...

Huh ? Why not ? How do you know anyway ?

Aren't you following the news?

Read this.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...threadid=40094

Whatever, Dash. Until you know better, don't even bother trying.

Look, I work in the damn industry and believe me, I know what I'm talking about when I say - no patch, no Ion Storm by end of summer. Cling to your hopes if you wish...

Originally posted by Dash
    Look, I work in the damn industry and believe me, I know what I'm talking about when I say - no patch, no Ion Storm by end of summer. Cling to your hopes if you wish...
    Yeah, you and all the other prophets of doom. If I was to pay attention to anyone wth such a negative view or everyone who claims 'They're in the business' or 'have sources' this game would never have been released.

It is not a negative view. It's an analysis based on facts, rumors and experience. And this game would have been released anyway, since it was intended for the x-box, and even if it would be utter and complete rubbish Microsoft would still be trying to recap its losses by releasing a crappy product to the fanboys and ignoramuses, who would still buy the game...

I meant Eidos - not Microsoft...

It is not a negative view. It's an analysis based on facts, rumors and experience. And this game would have been released anyway, since it was intended for the x-box, and even if it would be utter and complete rubbish Microsoft would still be trying to recap its losses by releasing a crappy product to the fanboys and ignoramuses, who would still buy the game...
    By these signs you may know the coming of the lying troll...

Excuse me, did I offend you? No? Then why are you resorting to personal insults?

Anyway, patch or no patch, I would like the members in this forum to participate in this thread. Please post your patch requests here and then we will see.

Let us minimize regardless of resolution vs desktop resolution

Stop the "speed x5" gameplay that randomly happens until you reload several times.

Reduce jerky movement.

Performance issues

I have also a lot of performance issues ! Even when you turn all the settings low it slows down ! There is surely something wrong ! I wish they will fix this in the patch !
    My Machine

AMD Athlon XP 2600+
    [MSI] GeForce Fx 5600 128mb Seagate 120Gb HardDisk with 8M Cache
    500Mb DDR RAM
    SoundCard Eax 3 supported
    Windows XP Pro

dunno if its possible, but please try to make garrett, guards and other civilians to walk up and down the stairs properly..... producing a good realistic look.... like in Hitman Contracts. (not just simply floating over steps and jerking up and down while doing it).
    Out of all the requests you made this one seems the least likely, since this will entail rewriting the whole stair climbing code and creating new animations for characters, so that they place their feet in the correct position.

The only two really important things that the patch should address are - 1. Graphics subsystem performance and 2. The resetting AI bug.

The rest is exactly that - a wishlist. They are not obvious bugs, but minor annoyances and its up to the developer (if he even exists now) to fix that or not bother wasting time...

If you just release a game and then dont care about what happens to it youre not worthy of releasing a game, at all.

Releasing a game with (Correct me if I'm wrong. Don't have the game, it's not released here yet) no stuff to make mods, no editor, and then state that there will be no patches...?

Pfft. They can't possibly be that stupid, can they?

Thief has been released over two weeks ago. If they were planning a patch, we would already have it...

To Agulf

They they can and are. Firing most of the developer team a week after release...

Dash: The major, patch-worthy bug was reported LAST SUNDAY. That's really not very long at all. It may not take long to code a patch, but it DOES take a long time to test it rigorously, and to cut through the red-tape and get said patch released. Especially due to the Xbox issue.

I should also point out that we don't know which dev team members have been let go. If they're mostly graphics artists, level designers, etc; they wouldn't have any part in the creation of a patch anyway. It's the programmers who are needed for patching.

True, but I have a nagging feeling that this rather unfortunate story with lay offs is only the beginning of the problems that the people who bought Thief are about to experience...

It's not released here, in Sweden, yet tho

Firing people, eh? Sounds like they just wannt more money for themselves. ;P

I red they screwed things up with the skillsystem... Only normal works if you load... I guess that fix would be on my wishlist...

Btw, Issnt that because they had that other system first, the one where you could choose to play lytha style and stuff (I was exited about that skillsystem :C... Choosing "move no objects" or "close doors" and stuff...)? Maybe they scraped that very early :/...
    I don't suppose they just deleted that part of the code?
    If they still have it they could easily make a patch out of that....
    IF it worked that is.
    I mean if they just switched to a "somewhat" like the old and added easy... You don't just throw away working code :/..
    Thats like changing clothes four times a day untill you end up with the socks that has holes in them.

Rolleyes

This (translated) statement was apparently sent by EIDOS to a german console mag:
    "Even though it's pretty protracted to check the AI behavior and we only got a glimps of collecting some samples: [...] We couldn't reconstruct that bug. The number of guards was still the same and the AI still acted as if it was set to "Expert". As a matter of course, Mission Objectives and increased quantity of loot remain unchanged. The first thread to mention this bug was made by someone who edited his .ini file which could have caused those problems."
    http://forums.ionstorm.com/index.php?showtopic=211204
    The Honest Thief - FMs, screenshots, DromED, links ... Zaccheus' hospital blog

lol @ Eidos.

//. Maybe the bug was not described well to them. It seems that they never checked the damage dealt by enemies, just counted the loot and enemies.

check this out:
    http://forums.ionstorm.com/index.php?showtopic=211215

Heres my go at the translation:
    --To check a changed AI behavior would take a long time so we could only test some: Both with the described Reload and with the "Entering of a new load zone", these errors could not be reconstructed. The number of guards was the same and AI behavior resembled the status on "expert".
    Also the mission objectives remained functioning.
    Increased number of loot(?) uninfluenced by it and it worked "expert" (?? :S). The one who created the thread had edited his .ini file and thats probably why he got all the problems.

Something like that. :/

i think they should have a way to turn off dynamic lighting

My own wishlist definitely includes fixing the bug with difficulty levels - and I'm more optimistic than Dash that that will happen.

The rest of the stuff I'd ask for would be more detail stuff, and might not happen, but I've kind of been keeping a mental list as I've been playing through, so I may as well share them here. I should say first that I'm loving the game, and rating it as one of my top games ever - up there with the first two Thief games, System Shock 1 and 2 and Deus Ex.
    • I'd like to get rid of the bright glary blue overlay when you save a game - it's just ugly. And it's a shock to your eyes when they're all dark-adjusted for the game
    • The fonts in the save/load/equip interface are ugly and cheap-looking. They are in one colour, and need to have some shading at the edges to make them blend with the rest of the screen
    I guess I'm comparing with the interface in the earlier games, which was very cool and felt like it existed 'within' the world of the game - the current interface kicks you out of that immersion.

That's really about it. Some engine optimisation would always be welcome, but my gameplay experience is fine, immersive and enjoyable.

I do want to play through on Hard and Expert later, so fixing that bug is crucial.

That pie sure looks humble, Dash...

fix i'd like:
    When this game was in developpement, it was said that on the xbox, lockpicking would generate vibration in a rumble pack, and the possibility to look around while lock picking.

in the pc version, i unerstand that not everyone has a joystick with vibration, but it should be supported.

and MOST IMPORTANTLY, the ability to look around... lets say binding the "look left/right" to the "lean keys" while lockpicking.

now that good. you lockpick, use mous or movement keys, quickly look 90 degree left by pressing the lean left key. how hard is that?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last