View Poll Results: So now that you have had a chance to play it for a while, what do you think?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Excellent. Best Thief game yet, extremely fun.

31 33.33%
  • Good, maybe not the best of the series but pretty enjoyable.

55 59.14%
  • OK, something to do until Halflife II comes out.

1 1.08%
  • Marginal, I may not even bother to finish it.

3 3.23%
  • Horrible, I already deleted the piece of junk.

3 3.23%
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: So what do you think?

So what do you think?

So what do you think?

So now that you have had a chance to play it for a while, what do you think?

Easily the best Thief game. Also best use of lighting in a game EVER.

Originally posted by BigPimpin
    Easily the best Thief game. Also best use of lighting in a game EVER.

BigPimpin, nothin against you, I like the game as well...but every post I read you seem to have some bias towards the game...like your brother made it or something so you are immune to criticism. Hopefully you don't take that the wrong way, but you judge a game by it's faults, and sometimes that takes a grain of salt.

I loved the game but I do wish it were more open ended in the city...you were restrained to the street level, too bad you couldn't climb up and jump roof to roof or something. Too bad it wasn't more open ended.

So far, I love it, warts and all. And so far I've only found a couple of minor warts - nothing big to speak of.

I was really worried about what would get changed, but the essential Thief-iness is still here, with a few additions which I quite like. I'm not very far in the game, but I am getting that old sneakin' feeling.

It's funny, though, I do appreciate the new graphics, but I miss the old ones, too - they kind of defined Thief for me. However, I am very, very happy to hear the tuneless fake "opera" singing again, the grumbling dunken guards and Garret muttering to himself. They even kept some of the old music.

So - yahoo! New Thief, worth playing and full speed ahead. Sure it's not the same, but I knew it wouldn't be. What is the same, though, is the basic premise.

The only thing I haven't encountered so far that I hope I find later in the game is one really big mansion full of loot - a pure looting mission.

Tbh I really like this game, the atmosphere is still there. Also, as said above, the lighting is done and used really well in this game. I love the way real time shadows are generated which you can actually hide in.

Same here I like the shadows and lighting but I had a much harder time playing thief2 this one is so easy. I find myself looking out my window to see if I can catch any theifs walking down the middle of the street.

t: ds is good. hell, i'll go as far as say damn good, and totally wen't beyond what i was expecting.

but i can't say it's the best in the series. only tools will say that and not say why. one thing that seriously keeps this game behind t1 and t2 is it's level design. there are only two memorable levels in the whole game...one meant to bug you out and the other which just kinda feels like classic thief. the rest...bleh. sure IS had to work with the "xbox limitations", but i don't feel they really fleshed out what they were able to work with. i find it difficult to believe that the xbox wouldn't supprt alleys that were somewhat wider or if the world's height was just a bit higher.

however, the new things really did add to thief. as well as take it beyond the first two. the new plot, the city, the fences. all definitely sweetened the package.

i can't say it's the best of the series, but i can say it without a doubt holds its own.

Taking into consideration the level of technology present when each thief game was made, Thief2 is better than theif3 (never played the first one)

I REALLY like thief3 but it's just not quite as enthralling as the second one was for me. Thief2 is one of my top 10 favorite single player games of all time.

Just finished the game. After finishing it and playing through the lengthy last level, I have to say that Thief: Deadly Shadows is arguably better than either Thief: The Dark Project or Thief 2: The Metal Age. The plotline is, in my opinion, more compelling than Thief 2, though perhaps on par with Thief 1. Thief 1's drawback was that Thief 2 had better levels. I'd say that Thief 3's levels are easily better than much of Thief 1, and probably on par with much of Thief 2.

Making the comparison of levels with Thief 2 is difficult, however. To be blunt, you're talking about apples and oranges and ultimately it's going to be a matter of taste. Personally, I find both to be good, just different. The rooftop level of Thief 2 and other such things aren't possible in Thief 3 because of the unfortunate concessions that had to be made for the X-Box, but Thief 3 brings to the table things Thief 2 never had: namely a far more compelling plot (in my opinion), a mission that will scare the crap out of you better than probably any other mission in a video game, and one hell of a great last level (which is an area where Thief 2 was very very lacking). Even the final cutscene is great (and I love the nod to Thief 1 at the end of it ).

Those who are completely turned off by the game are mostly those, I think, who have only played the Tutorial, demo, and first castle/mansion level. Frankly, that whole section of the game seems a dumbed down introduction to people new to the game compared to what comes later. The game gets both more challenging and FAR more compelling.

For those who say they like it, but see a lot of drawbacks due to things missing from Thief 1/2, I sympathize. Personally, I agreed with a lot of that sentiment early in the game and still do agree with one major gripe (the small level size). Otherwise, I don't think the gripes bear themselves out if you play through the game.

Is the game an enormous step forward in stealth gaming? No, I don't think so. Is it a really great stealth-based game with a very compelling plotline? Yes, most definately. Is it as good as Thief 1/2? Yes, at least in my opinion. I'd even argue that it's marginally better than Thief 2 because of the better plot and better than Thief 1 because they thankfully avoided some of the boring sections of Thief 1 (remember that you tend to forget the drawbacks of Thief 1 that were improved even in Thief 2 when your memory becomes so heavily tainted by nostalgia ).

The final mission has some really great gameplay, too.

In the final analysis, I'd probably have to echo what I remember of the Gamespy review: It's not a great leap forward in stealth gaming, but it's at least as good as Thief 1 or Thief 2. I'd say Ion Storm did a pretty good job.

A good post Arnelos, but I have to comment on a couple of things:

> The plotline is, in my opinion, more compelling than Thief 2, though perhaps on par with Thief 1.

This I agree with. The plot was excellent, one of this game's strengths. Trying to figure out what was going on was a major part of this game, and I really like how all the pieces came together. I will even agree that it was better than Thief II, though that had other strengths in that Karras was an amazingly well done and entertaining adversary, certainly more so than this one.

> Thief 1's drawback was that Thief 2 had better levels. I'd say that Thief 3's levels are easily better than much of Thief 1, and probably on par with much of Thief 2.

I have to disagree with much of that. Thief I had some amazing levels, including Constantines crazy mansion in The Sword, The Haunted Cathedral Return (which in my opinion is MUCH scarier than Cradle and not nearly as annoying), The Lost City, Escape, and many more. I think few levels in Thief III matched even the average of either previous Thief games. Certainly none surpassed their best.

> better than Thief 1 because they thankfully avoided some of the boring sections of Thief 1 (remember that you tend to forget the drawbacks of Thief 1 that were improved even in Thief 2 when your memory becomes so heavily tainted by nostalgia ).

Let's see, I have played Thief I probably 7 or so times, most recently less than a year ago. Thief II about the same. Trust me when I say I have them very clearly in my mind when I make comparisons. I am in the process if my second time through Thief III, but I doubt I will ever play it anywhere close to as much.

Again, don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the game quite a bit. But I enjoyed, and will no doubt enjoy again in the future, the previous ones more.

I loved this game.

Just thought I'd get it out of the way before I said this:

I was a little dissapointed.

This happens naturally of course. Games like Thief get unreasonable amounts of hype, and your hopes just skyrocket. That's not to say it was bad game - it was fantastic. But there were some major drawbacks:

[list=1][*]Pretty much all city, all the time. The two missions that ventured outside were the Pagan sancturary and Kurshok. It would have been nice to have some different style architexture.[*]The atmosphere. Maybe the Dark Engine had a charm that the new one can't match, but it wasn't quite as well done for me as it was in previous games. Maybe the lack of the classic briefings had something to do with it.[*]Enemy AI. yeah, they when torches are put out, and doors are open. Did anyone ever think to prgram it so they relight the torches and close the doors!?[*]Fights in the city section remind me of playing DOOM in the old days. Yes, it's cool to see every once in a while, but when it happens every single time i step into Stonemarket Proper, jeez. That place was a deathtrap.[*]Lack of Mechanist machines. They really added to Thief 2. Now just because Karras is dead The City decides that robots that patrol for you, security cameras, and other nifty gadgets just don't cut it?[/list=1]

Everything else was great about the game though. It's a really tough call, but I'd say I enjoyed it a bit more then Thief 2.

I agree with a lot of points already brought up.

Over all, I have enjoyed Thief3. It has been one of the best game that I have played for 2004. However, I do have some gripes.

I wish they would've made this title a PC only release. That would have allowed the developers to create larger levels than what we currently have. The architecture was nice, but it didn't have that "Thief" feel to it, IMHO. The storyline was well-done and the atmosphere did a good job of drawing me into the game.

bear with me people but thief deadly shadows is superiour to any of the other thief games,think of it this way,put thief 2 against splinter cell and its shortcomings will be all too evident, now put thief deadly shadows against splinter and you see that thief 3 puts up a better fight and in my opinion beats it,thief 2 is and remains a great game,it was ahead of its time and was the originator of what we now know as the stealth genre but thief3 has brought the franchise into the 21 century.........

JAWOHL!!! Splinter Cells A.I. isn't as good as Thiefs. They aren't as smart and they don't say random comments that are hilarious.
    Du Bist Was Du Isst

Theres two ways of looking at it really -

1: compared to whats available in the shops - thief 3 smashes them to bits - its so much more my type of game than the majorty of games.

2: If i had X-million what would i have done different

---

If you think in the first way - and the fact it cost me £20 ($27ish) delivered - its supreme!

if you think the 2nd way - like most people - your asking them to compete with someones imagination, trying no to seem corny there isnt much technology thats going to match that. Why cant they X? why didnt they Y? because clearly the effort it took vs the amount of dollars it would bring in dont add up - or isn't possible.

So sum up?
    Amazing game - not played the first 2 - as for some reason i cant tolerate the feel of old 3D - sad but true - and I played ultima online for 3 years. (Pics here)
    So if any of you dont think 3 hours of minimum wage work is worth it - then u've suprized me

I like this one MUCH better than T1 and a little better than T2. I did just play T1 and T2 again within the past month.

Why do I like this go around better than T1 ? Well.... I really didn't like T1 at all. I just hated Constantine's Mansion. The whole idea of a forest and caves in a mansion just wasn't the best idea. It was more of a chore to navigate rather than a positive experience. T1 just didn't have great architecture to it. What really got me angry was the lavish use of zombies in every possible area. I just wanted to get that game over with.

T2, however, was quite a site for sore eyes. The architecture was far superior (Angelwatch was most impressive for a game dating back to 2000). T2 was more about being a thief and not a zombie-killing graverobber. LookingGlass did as much as they could do with this game and I was very pleased.

Now, what about T3 ? Excellent experience. Perhaps moreso than T2. What I really appreciated was the plotline and the EXTREMELY immersive environments (shadows and a new engine). Sure, it would seem simple and shallow to appreciate a game for only its graphics, but they really pull their load.

I find it to be an improvement that you cannot backstab or knock out a guard if he's looking for you or chasing you. In T1 and T2, I was able to knock out a guard running after me if I found a dark spot and circled around him and whacked him with the blackjack.

One problem with T3, though, is that you make no noise while crouched and walking. That's a bit TOO quiet, even for a master thief. I remember having to keep tapping forward in T1 and T2 so as not to give myself away while creeping up behind a guard.. It was annoying, but made more of a challenge.

I'm not sure, though, if I liked the rope and vine arrows better or the climbing gloves. Just one thing to improve, though... architecture. What happened to design of places like Angelwatch or the Cathedral from T2 ? Limitations placed upon PC because of XBox ? Probably. That's what they did with the beloved Deus Ex series and completely ruined it beyond any sort of enjoyable state. Stupid consoles always have to have a piece of the action that PC gets... bah.

So, what do I say ? Thief 3 ever so slightly edges out T2 because of its immersive environments and plotline. It's easy for it to feel immersive if you can just LET GO of comparing games to reality. It's a mistake that is made far too often and it seems that one third of the people actually TRY more to hate the game than try to enjoy it.

Let's just keep the next incarnation of Thief away from the "Hey, me too" effect that we get from demands for an XBox version released simultaneously. Do what they did with DE1 and release it MUCH later as a non-port.

Would you care to explain... maybe be more specific ? I take it you've never played any sort of stealth-action game before (SplinterCell doesn't really count... at least I don't find it to be a true stealth-action game. Just action). Who cares what the guards look like (which isn't all that bad...) ?

Sure, everyone who posts here doesn't have to praise the game. Hell, badmouth it if you want, but I don't see how "it's garbage" really explains anything.

Originally posted by LiterACola
    I like this one MUCH better than T1 and a little better than T2. I did just play T1 and T2 again within the past month.

Why do I like this go around better than T1 ? Well.... I really didn't like T1 at all. I just hated Constantine's Mansion. The whole idea of a forest and caves in a mansion just wasn't the best idea. It was more of a chore to navigate rather than a positive experience. T1 just didn't have great architecture to it. What really got me angry was the lavish use of zombies in every possible area. I just wanted to get that game over with.

T2, however, was quite a site for sore eyes. The architecture was far superior (Angelwatch was most impressive for a game dating back to 2000). T2 was more about being a thief and not a zombie-killing graverobber. LookingGlass did as much as they could do with this game and I was very pleased.

Now, what about T3 ? Excellent experience. Perhaps moreso than T2. What I really appreciated was the plotline and the EXTREMELY immersive environments (shadows and a new engine). Sure, it would seem simple and shallow to appreciate a game for only its graphics, but they really pull their load.

I find it to be an improvement that you cannot backstab or knock out a guard if he's looking for you or chasing you. In T1 and T2, I was able to knock out a guard running after me if I found a dark spot and circled around him and whacked him with the blackjack.

One problem with T3, though, is that you make no noise while crouched and walking. That's a bit TOO quiet, even for a master thief. I remember having to keep tapping forward in T1 and T2 so as not to give myself away while creeping up behind a guard.. It was annoying, but made more of a challenge.

I'm not sure, though, if I liked the rope and vine arrows better or the climbing gloves. Just one thing to improve, though... architecture. What happened to design of places like Angelwatch or the Cathedral from T2 ? Limitations placed upon PC because of XBox ? Probably. That's what they did with the beloved Deus Ex series and completely ruined it beyond any sort of enjoyable state. Stupid consoles always have to have a piece of the action that PC gets... bah.

So, what do I say ? Thief 3 ever so slightly edges out T2 because of its immersive environments and plotline. It's easy for it to feel immersive if you can just LET GO of comparing games to reality. It's a mistake that is made far too often and it seems that one third of the people actually TRY more to hate the game than try to enjoy it.

Let's just keep the next incarnation of Thief away from the "Hey, me too" effect that we get from demands for an XBox version released simultaneously. Do what they did with DE1 and release it MUCH later as a non-port.
    You played T1 and T2 in the last month, so your opinion means nothing when talking about how Thief 3 is in relation to the previous two.

Thief is a landmark game. For 1998 it was unbelievable.

Thief 2 was basically an add-on with larger, greater levels minus the undead and loads more detail.

Thief 3 is Thief Lite, incredibly easy, with incredible lighting effects but dumb models. And levels the size of your bathroom.

The plot wasn't good at all.

The new voice actors are horrible, apart from Benny who was as good as ever.

I hate to say it, but I was disappointed at T3. I'm a huge Thief-fan but T3 just doesn't have the atmosphere and feeling as the previous two games had.

First of all the level design is far from what we've seen in T1 & T2 (The Haunted Cathedral, need I say more?). Furthermore there was something about the first two games that I just can't put my finger on. Like the many different ways to complete a task, for example entering a building. In T1 & T2, it felt like you could enter a building any way you wanted to, even ways that the level designers hadn't thought of. In T3, that option is gone. Sure there are often different ways to complete a task, but they are way too obvious.

Although the graphics are superb and the lightning beyond superb, it just isn't the good old Thief. Stephen Russell (the voice of Garrett) and the good old cutscenes makes the game playable though. I can't say the game kept pace with my expectations but nevertheless I enjoyed playing it.
    - Planning is pointless, staying alive is as good as it gets.

T3 is better than T2 just but if T2 had the graphics/shadows that brought it into the 21st century then THIEF2 would win...........

Originally posted by njcl
    T3 is better than T2 just but if T2 had the graphics/shadows that brought it into the 21st century then THIEF2 would win...........
    Graphics don't make a game, gameplay does. Thief 1&2 > Deadly Shadows

Originally posted by Osama uses Winzip
    Graphics don't make a game, gameplay does. Thief 1&2 > Deadly Shadows
    The man has a point. Personally, I'm torn between the Metal Age and Deadly Shadows. Both are fantastic games, each one does something better then the other. Still, due to how polished Thief 2 is compared to 3, I'd have to go for the former instead.

Oh, and i very much enjoyed the plot of Deadly Shadows. On par weith that of the Dark Project I think.

Originally posted by Osama uses Winzip
    You played T1 and T2 in the last month, so your opinion means nothing when talking about how Thief 3 is in relation to the previous two.

Read his post again,
    I did just play T1 and T2 again within the past month.
    you'll notice the word 'again' meaning he's played before. And who do you think you are to slam down someone elses opinion. Grow up and go to a different forum, you really are building up quite a list of enemies here.
    "The most promising acolyte left us, not out of the lesser folly of sentiment, but the greater folly of anger. His heart was clouded, and his balance was lost, but his abilities were unmatched. Even then, we knew to watch him most carefully." -Keeper Annals

Originally posted by everlong71
    Grow up and go to a different forum, you really are building up quite a list of enemies here.
    Why are you getting personal here buddy? Are you angry because I didn't like the game?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last