Page 7 of 24 First First ... 3456789101117 ... Last

Thread: Thief: Deadly Shadows System Specifications

Thief: Deadly Shadows System Specifications

Thumbs Up

Thanks! I could upgrade to an XP 2000 for $45, but what I really should do down the road is get a new mobo and CPU. And I didn't want to waste money on an "intermediate" CPU.
    "Join us...join us now...you're so close!"
    --Bat-mite

Yes, it is dynamic, but motherboard BIOSes will read the max speed off the ram's config chip and use the 400 with the 333 bus. Asyncrounus clocks, no matter if they're faster or slower then the FSB, will impact performance. http://www.tomshardware.com/motherbo...508/index.html

I have a:

P4 2.8Ghz (800mhz FSB) - over clocked to 3.3
    1Gb DDR 400MHz Low Latency Platinum RAM (dual chanel)
    256MB ATI Radeon 9800XT DDR (overclocked)
    and Some boobins Sound blaster live platinum
    3x SATA 80GB 8mb cache HD's
    + Win XP

My question is, will thief 3 use ALL of the graphics memory (256mb) or just 128mb of it, i was under the impression games dont use all that memory yet, but i thought i would cheak with theif3 and also.

Will i be able to run thief 3 with ALL the settings full (say a res of 1280x1024) and still get decent FPS on my PC?

Does thief 3 support the lastist version of pixcel shader like farcry will do/does once the new farcry patch comes out?

With thief 3 the chance of it running with enough filters in a high enough res to use 256mb are negligable, if you notice even the slightest difference it'd be a pretty impressive thing.

perhaps, im thinking of a proformace issue more then a graphical in this instance. Atm its my undertsanding games dont use the extra memory over 128mb, its as if it was not there etc.

If the game use's all of the card memory then there is less swaping about of textures hence a possable higher proformace, in turn that mean more 'filters' can be used becos eveything goes 'faster'.( i know it does not go faster, just less workload on the system as a whole). I know that with the lastist picelshaders etc all the current GPU's can struggle other then the very lastist things hot from ATI (whatever).
    I thought with it being a new game and light being a massive issue in such a game as this, there would be support of the lastist filters ether now or a bit later and support for the very lastist cards and memory sizes. but i dont know so i asked.

Old:

Athlon 700
    ASUS K7V
    ASUS 6800 deluxe AGP
    512 PC133
    20gb WD HD
    Win XP

New:

Foxconn SIS 755A01 MB
    Athlon 64 2.8
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128
    WD SATA133 80gb HD
    Mushkin 512 MB PC3200
    Aspire 420 watt case

$700 +, and all I really plan on doing is playing T3S and some home movie editing. This game may help the computer industry, or I'm just crazy. THought of saving money and Xboxing it, just couldn't. I'll probably hook up my Sidewinder Dual strike controller and play first person- nothing like running right and looking left.

Yay looks like i'm in for some fun in Thief 3, is there gonna be more of a way to create missions in this later installment? i kinda missed out because Thief 2 don't work no more on my pc.

Also, how does contols etc compare with the xb version, or do i have all my info wrong and there is no xb version?

If the PC version sells "well enough", they will be releasing editing tools so we can make fan missions. This is off-topic, though.

pixel shader questions

I am still kind of confused about this pixel shader. Where do I download it? I also read earlier on in the fourm that you can't have higher than 1.1, so if I got an ATI radeon 9800 pro or 9600 xt would I have compatability with 1.1 or can I only use 2.0?

You don't download it, its a physical part of the graphics chip. It's either built into it, or its not. You can have versions above 1.1, 1.1 is simply the minimum required.

question about my processor

Hey guys,

I have two computers at the moment. One will surely play TS without a problem (I hope hehhe) and the second I have a question about. It has a 2.8 Intel Celeron processor which is the highest of the intel celeron processors to date..i think. I was always curious what is the Pentium 4 equivalent to that. I looked at some of the specs on the intel sites, and the only real difference I noticed was FBS, and L2 Cache size. Will a 2.8 celeron even be able to play TS?

Thanx

J. Do Iron

Above is an example of why we should not refer to the game as "TcolonDS".
    "Join us...join us now...you're so close!"
    --Bat-mite

hhahahha woops!

I i not know that woul happen. Looks like my 's (D's) are possesse!

Re: question about my processor

Originally posted by AresJMD
    I have...a 2.8 Intel Celeron processor which is the highest of the intel celeron processors to date.... I was always curious what is the Pentium 4 equivalent to that. I looked at some of the specs on the intel sites, and the only real difference I noticed was FBS, and L2 Cache size. Will a 2.8 celeron even be able to play T: DS?
    If you really want to know how the Celeron compares to the P4 then read this CPU comparison that was done in December from a well respected tech website. The comparison is between the Celeron and Duron CPUs, but the article uses the P4 and AthlonXP CPUs as performance deltas. The results are quite interesting.

Hi, I have some questions, please:
    My system:

Pentium IV 1.8 Ghz
    512MB RAM
    Geforce 4 MX 440 (64 MB)
    Windows ME
    I think my sound card is Sound MAX ( built into the motherboard (ASUS P4S8X-X) )

Will thief work on my computer?
    I mean, will I be able to play it, since I have a Geforce4 MX 440 and win ME?
    Will the game not work at all or will it just not work that well?
    If it works, any idea how well it will work and with which resolution and detail level?
    What about the sound card?

If I can't play the game on my computer, any sugestions on what video card (or sound card) I should buy? I mean, I don't have much money right now, and I don't want to get a different video card (that makes thief work) and then find out some other game that worked with my old card doesn't work anymore...
    And of course, if I have to buy a new video card, it'd probably be more worth it to get a better one (128MB, for example).
    By the way, which is better, Radeon or Geforce? Is Geforce FX 5200 128 MB a good option (for thief and for games in general)?

Well, I think that's it. Sorry if any of these questions are stupid, and sorry for making a lot of them in one post... I don't need all of them answered, the most important thing for me is to know if Thief will work, and if so, how well......

Thank you very much for your time and patience...

As for the EAX Advanced HD, do most of the soundblasters come with DirectX 9 support?

The 5200 isn't a very good card. It's not ment for serious games like Thief 3. Try for a Radeon 9600 Pro or GeForce 5700 Ultra, both are around $150 and trample the cheapo cards underneath them. Before you buy a card though, try the Thief 3 demo, seeing how Windows ME is not supported, and if it won't run on ME then you would have bought a card for nothing.

The Advanced EAX that Thief 3 will be using is only available in Audigy and Audigy 2 cards. You can use other cards, but they won't have the fancy sound effects.

Ok,

I hear a lot about how the 5200 is not a good card. I will agree in some ways. What I would like to know though; will that card run the game? I'm not looking for top knotch quality, since I don't have thousands of dollars to buy the absolute BEST gaming system. Also, I only have PCI....and the only highest card available for PCI is the GeForce FX 5200. Believe me lol, i know it won't be the best looking game with that card, but will it atleast run Thief 3 good enough to the point where i won't be like "Ok man this totally blows im throwing this game away"

j do iron

I can't answer your question. But, I hear you on the graphics quality. I played t2 with a gf2 mx..which is a pretty weak card. I had to turn the resolution down and it got choppy in big open areas, but I still loved it. I'm working 2 jobs this summer break and using the lesser paying one to upgrade my computer--I just bought a gf fx 5700. If I had to guess, I'd say that if your processor and memory are up to par or over, you'll probably be able to run it..albeit a little choppy here and there.

Athlon 1.7 Ghz (probably I'll have it overclocked)
    256 Mb RAM
    Plenty of disk space
    Riva TNT2A 32Mb (Gmm... going to upgrade this one...)
    Yamaha 754 soundcard (XWave 6000)
    Win2k

So, Several questions:
    Will the game work at all with Yamaha SB of even software built-in sound?
    Does the CPU clock heavily affect game performance? Does GPU clock, memory on GPU clock or # of Mb memory on GPU affect the game much, or just the function set (so the newer videocard will do better)?

Originally posted by AresJMD
    Ok,

I hear a lot about how the 5200 is not a good card. I will agree in some ways. What I would like to know though; will that card run the game? I'm not looking for top knotch quality, since I don't have thousands of dollars to buy the absolute BEST gaming system. Also, I only have PCI....and the only highest card available for PCI is the GeForce FX 5200. Believe me lol, i know it won't be the best looking game with that card, but will it atleast run Thief 3 good enough to the point where i won't be like "Ok man this totally blows im throwing this game away"

j do iron
    A 5200 will run Thief 3 slower than a Geforce 4 Ti card. If Deus Ex 2 is any indication, that should put you at 640x480, but acceptably smooth at that resolution. If T3 makes as heavy use of shadows as I think it will, you might have to turn those down a bit too. You would be best off getting the demo or asking a friend to let you try it on your machine, because some games look ok at 640, and others (like DX: IW) look really terrible at 640.

The shadows can't be turned off in T3, since their such a big part or the game play, so I wouldn't count on being able to turn them down either.

You don't know that. I can think of lots of ways they could have shadows turned off. Think about it: You've got the shadows you can actually use for hiding, then there's your own shadow, then the guards' shadows, and shadows of little random items like shelves / books / vases on tables, even the torches' own shadows against the walls they're mounted on. Most of those can't be used for hiding at all. (though it would be sweet to creep across a room in the guard's own shadow as he walked his patrol!) Anyway that's exactly how the shadow levels in DX:IW worked; turning the shadow detail down a notch eliminated some of the shadows of smaller and less noticable objects, leaving only the bigger, essential ones like shelves, people and those ridiculous flaming garbage cans with holes in them.

Audio ?

On-board audio AC655 vs SB live vs AUdigy

I only have 2 speakers hooked up.
    May wear headphones to play.

Benefits to card vs chip besides sound quality?
    I'd imagine the audigy is needed for the suer enhanced effects as discussed above.

Oh man, hope someone can assure me that Thief 3 is playable on my current system. Can't afford an upgrade.

Windows XP Pro
    AMD 1.2 gig thunderbird
    768 pc 133 ram
    Radeon 9700 pro
    Sound Blaster Live Value

Thanks for any insight.

Page 7 of 24 First First ... 3456789101117 ... Last