Page 6 of 24 First First ... 234567891016 ... Last

Thread: Thief: Deadly Shadows System Specifications

Thief: Deadly Shadows System Specifications

And as far as the SIMD thing...AMD came out with their MMX a few years ago ahead of Intel...that's when Intel decided that they better catch up and got on the bandwagon and expanded their instuctions with SIMD to compete with AMD, etc.
    MMX is not the only SIMD instruction set. There are instructions available on the P4's that are not available on the Athlon XP, and technologies on newer P4's that are not available on earlier P4's. Namely SSE2, which doesn't exist on Athlon XP, only Athlon 64 and up, and AFAIK is not available on P3. And hyperthreading which is not available on earlier P4's though that should not be any kind of compatibility issue. But if they programmed the game to need SSE2, that means the difference between older processors being able to run it slowly, or not being able to run it at all.

grafixmonkey...I guess you didn't read my post earlier very well...I said on this machine I play DE 1 on has a VooDoo 3/3000 not a VooDoo 2.
    So I typo-ed. There really isn't any point to this discussion anyway, all you're arguing about is the semantics of my made-up term "card-to-have". If you think 16 bit color and no AA at a lower resolution is "perfect" then I'm not going to argue.

Hey there,

I'm having somewhat of a difficult time looking for a good quality video card that I can place into my PCI Bus Port. I have an integrated video card already set into the motherboard, and I do not have any AGP slots. Its an Intel Extreme Graphics thing (Junk i know), and I was wondering, what would be the highest quality PCI card I could find to help me play Thief III?

I already upgraded my computer to a 2.6 P4, and I have 768mb of RAM, with two 40 GB hardrives. Overall, since I have some nice connections..the cost was very cheap. But the friends I have contacted were unable to really tell me what good video card I can find for my PCI section.

I really don't care if its not one of the best cards out there..im sure it won't be. I just want something that'll let me play Thief III.

Thanx,

John Do Iron

The best you can hope for is an Nvidia FX5200. Here is a link to Pricewatch for the FX5200 128MB cards. Add "PCI" to the end of the search query "GeForce FX 5200 128MB" and narrow your search to only PCI versions. Prices aren't too bad.

Cool

Cool! Thanx a lot man! I might just go for the 256 one..whats 20 extra bucks anyways ahhaha.

have a good one

Keep your $20 for the summer gas price hike. The 5200 will not perform any faster for the double memory, the top of the line cards certaintly didn't when they became 256s.

Don't buy that card... You won't like it. You can get a motherboard for $50 that has an AGP port on it, why not do that and get a decent card instead?

The Geforce FX 5200 is slower than a low end Geforce 4. If you buy that card you will be extremely disappointed with how it runs your games. But if you really really have to buy it, at least don't get the 256 meg version. There is no performance difference between any 128MB card and its 256MB version. In fact most benchmarks show the performance dipping down by about 1% when you go for the 256 meg version, for whatever reason. It's a marketing gimmick.

I know you're going to ask, so I'll just preemp and say the motherboard options depend on your processor type, so that has to be known before a motherboard can be chosen that will work with your processor and memory. But it's fairly certain you can find one close to $50 that will work with your existing hardware, and will accept a good AGP graphics card.

EDIT: Here, look at this, and look at where the 5200 is on the chart. The Geforce 4's are on the chart attached below the bigger one, because they use shader 1.0, but you can clearly see that the lower end Geforce 4 TI4200 performs a good 80% better than the FX 5200.

Originally posted by RedLegg
    Probabally low-to-medium with that video card.
    I played Unreal II with high detail and played perfectly, 60/70 frames/sec (only with much action and explosions around 30) I heard Thief III uses the Unreal II engine wil it not perform almost the same?

features

This has jack to do with the thread, but the thread's always on top of the page, so...heck with it.

I had two major gripes about Thiefs 1 and 2, namely that not all the doors in the city were enterable. Most were just there for looks, and this has been resolved in DS. Second, I love to sneak to within a few feet of a guard or civilian who's facing me, and pop a broadhead through his or her eye. The women always scream better, and then I can watch, from my shadow, everyone who heard come runnin with their swords or maces.

But the graphics involved only show a splat of blood and the character's reaction. I dearly hanker for DS to show the arrows stickin outta the person's body. I doubt it, but that'd be righteously stompass. Mean ain't I?
    Ash nazg gurbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul, Ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum ishi krimbatul

Gorman, have you been taking your medication?!?!?

Truart must be a charming person in real life. Do you happen to own a leather mask and find yourself interested of everyone named Clarice???

Last night I bought all the parts to build a new, better computer. I was getting tired of mine locking up all the time and I want to play thief DS . I spent a little over 450 bucks for the new components and a new case. I'm gonna use my roms, floppy, keyboard, mouse, and soundcard. Anyone want to buy a geforce 2 MX 400?

Originally posted by FISCHER
    I played Unreal II with high detail and played perfectly, 60/70 frames/sec (only with much action and explosions around 30) I heard Thief III uses the Unreal II engine wil it not perform almost the same?
    It is reassuring that you were able to play that game with those results. Thief is not Unreal... It is so different from Unreal that to say that it is "based on Unreal tech" is a gross mistake.

I would hope that you will be as happy with Thief's performance, though I will stand by my evaluation.
    RedLegg

yeah, agreed... realtime shadows are gonna hurt performance quite a bit compared to Unreal 2. So is the fully interactive physics system.

Question

RedLegg...you never did come back with the report about TB and the game sound with T3? What did you find out please? Thanks and Good Hunting!
    It's not how you win the game, it's how you PLAY it! Have FUN!

Simplicity

"Simplicity, Clarice. Read Marcus Aurelius: 'Of each particular thing, ask what is it in itself. What is its nature?' What does he do, this man you seek?"
    "He steals."
    "No, that is incidental. What is his purpose? What needs does he serve by stealing? He COVETS. That is his nature. And how do we first begin to covet, Clarice? Do we seek out things to covet? No, we covet what we see everyday. Don't you feel eyes moving over your body? And don't your eyes seek out the tings you want?"
    Ash nazg gurbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul, Ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum ishi krimbatul

It is reassuring that you were able to play that game with those results. Thief is not Unreal... It is so different from Unreal that to say that it is "based on Unreal tech" is a gross mistake.

I would hope that you will be as happy with Thief's performance, though I will stand by my evaluation.
    Thanks for the info , I really think Thief III is going to be even better than the first two parts! Looking forward to the release

Originally posted by Huntress
    RedLegg...you never did come back with the report about TB and the game sound with T3? What did you find out please? Thanks and Good Hunting!
    Hi,

The only info I could scare up was the it will work, but EAX will only be supported on the Creative Audigy cards.

Time will tell on how well it works though. As long as the TB supports DirectSound, it should be the same as I hear with my SB Live! card.
    RedLegg

The unreal2 engine is heavily optimised, all unreal games really use resources fantastically well, the one used for IW is really pretty bad for it, though not crap with resources on Morrowind or Grandprix 4 levels I guess. One issue with thief is that they have had to make Dynamic shadows an un-removable option, after all, it's part of the game, and that is a HUGE hit on performance. That's one of the biggest reasons this game is so demanding.

I'm just glad I recently stepped up from 2100 ram and a 2000+ to 2500+ and 3200 ram, and managed to softmod and OC my R9500pro. (See www.omegacorner.com to see if you can softmod your particular card, or another driver editing site.)

The 2500+ only has a 333FSB, so running it asyncrounusly with 400MHz ram will actually decrese memory perormace. Or did you OC the FSB to 400MHz?

The D in DRAM stands for Dynamic. That means the memory will slow down if it's put into a slower system. So, if you stick PC3200 into a system with a 333 mhz FSB, it will run at PC2700 speeds. It's going the opposite way that causes the problems. If you put PC2700 into a system running a 400 mhz FSB you'll bottleneck it at the memory.

Rolleyes

I was just wondering. Why is it that the game doesn't support graphics cards like geforce 4 mmx 440 (which is mine)? The same damn thing happened with Splinter Cell Pandora tomorrow.
    This is geting frustrating not to mention disappointing since I am an avid Thief fan.

Actually bus speed means nothing as long as your motherboard can handle a split ratio, the real issue is this:

My ram is 400mhz @ 128bit (DDR1), that's a MAX bandwidth of 6.4gb/s, but in real life due to latency and burst lengths (8 on my NF7S motherboard, 4 with DDDR) (3,3,2.5 latency ram) (The long, complicated and very approximate explination to this and the rough formula is all over the web.) my average bandwidth is only 1.4/1.5ish gb/s, but my CPU's max is 2.6gb/s, so the faster the better. No huge bottleneck at that kind of level, but the faster the ram the better the performance for sure.

As for the GF4mx, it's just too outdated and was only designed for office use. It also lacks pixel shader 1.1 and is not fully DX8 compliant, let alone DX9. It's slower in real terms than the 3TI. Sorry to say it but the cards stink.

Question

Sorry I came to this thread so late, but I just don't have time to read through all six pages of posts.

I have an AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1400 MHz processor. AMD'd are a little faster than Pentium IV's, right? So will I be okay?
    "Join us...join us now...you're so close!"
    --Bat-mite

possibly

Almost certainly. The 1.4 ghz Thunderbird performed roughly equivalently to a 1.8-2 ghz Pentium 4. I ran Splinter Cell on that same processor, without trouble.

Page 6 of 24 First First ... 234567891016 ... Last