Thread: Thief: Deadly Shadows System Specifications

Thief: Deadly Shadows System Specifications

I had to basically get an entire new computer to play this game. Oh well, this new one should last me a long time:

* ASUS K8V-DX, SATA Raid, S.754, 800FSB, Audio/LAN, DDR333/400
    * AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 3400+ 2.2GHz 1024K 800FSB S.754 w/Cooling Fan
    * 2x 512Mb DDR400 PC3200 Samsung (1Gb Total)
    * 120Gb ATA133 Maxtor 7200rpm
    * AGP (8x) Sapphire ATI RADEON 9800PRO ULTIMATE 128Mb DDR TV/DVI
    * LiteOn Combo 52x32x52 CD-RW/DVD-Rom
    * Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy LS

If for some freak way it doesn't work I'll never buy a PC game in my life. lol

geforce fx 5200

this may seem like a silly question to many of you, but i'm a newbie in many things.

does a geforce fx 5200 have PIXEL SHADER 1.1?

I believe the answer is yes, and it was answered a page ago on this same thread. Just in case you werent aware, (and this is not being nasty), you can use the search button up at the very top to look for an answer before you post. I realize the thread is getting a bit long what with all the I have this pc that is 2x the requirements will it run Thief well posts

Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    By the way, Mr. Mod, did you now that nforce 2 and nforce 3 are motherboard chipsets and not graphics cards? Or where you refering to the versions that have little built in viedo cards on them? I think its a 9100 that's integrated though...
    You've provided the answer within your query. Sort of!
    RedLegg

Answer to why I have 2700 instead of 3200. My previous Mobo only supperted 333mhz ram (2700) and I had 2 512's. I wasn't going to spend a bunch of money just to get a bit faster load times.

I just thought I should mention something about that Pentium 4 1.5GHz requirement...

The P4 1.5 used a different processor core than the newer ones. They upgraded that core with the 1.6 or 1.7, can't recall which, but the P4 1.5 is MUCH MUCH slower than a 1.7, I'm saying about half the speed. I have a P4 1.5, and it performs about the same as an Athlon 850 MHz (which I also have - I ran them side by side on some things, pretty much the same exact speed on most things.)

So I would really, really watch out on any Pentium 4 that's under 1.7, because if you use the same speed scale as the newer P4's and use performance to number them, a P4 1.5 *really* would be called a P4 0.85.

So be careful with those minimum requirements! I always assume a game won't run well unless I'm a good deal above the minumums.

does a geforce fx 5200 have PIXEL SHADER 1.1?
    Yes but it is just about the slowest card that does. It's actually slower than many Geforce 4 cards. You'd better find a way to try before you buy. If they ever release a demo, you'd better get it first. (Yet another reason to assume the game won't run well unless you are a good deal above the minumum specs.)

Question about my video card

I know this is proably a stupid question but I thought I'd ask anyhow, im currently running on a Asus v8200 deluxe Geforce 3 card and was wondering where does it stand in performance rating compared to a Gf 4 ti or low Ati 9000's? Does it even have any legs? =/ I seemed to able to run DX:IW demo just fine, in at 800x600 and full multisampling/bloom rendered some decent results...and thats with my low end system, which im currently UPing. I ran the demo for IW on a 1.4 Ghz (1.2 ghz Tbird OC'd) and only 256 mb ram with that Geforce 3 and by the sounds of it I did better then some with more recent systems...and ATI Radeon 9200's, who say they had to degrade the detail setting n res ot get ok performance. Am I just delerious or is my ASus v8200 deluxe Gf 3 actually a decent card overall??

The cards from each line that were actually intended to be nvidia's high end models have held their own pretty well. I'm surprised you were able to run Deus Ex 2, because my computer with a Quadro 4 had to run it at 640x480 to be anywhere close to smooth enough to play. I suppose the Quadro line isn't as good at games as the Geforce line, so maybe that shouldn't surprise me.

The Geforce 3 line isn't included on any of the same benchmarks that include the modern cards, but you can sort of guess and extrapolate. Here's one benchmark, *click*, that compares a lot of cards dating back as far as the geforce 4. (it'll pop up for Call Of Duty, but you can click on other game benchmarks at the bottom.) If you navigate a little, that same web site has benchmark archives that date back all the way to the Voodoo line and Quake 2, so you should be able to look back and find a benchmark to compare the Geforce 3 and Geforce 4. Calculate the "percentage of a Geforce 4" that a geforce 3 is, and you can approximate where the GF 3 would stand in the larger list I linked to. (BTW, be sure to look at the Geforce 4 TI cards, and not the Geforce 4 MX cards near the bottom. The GF 4 TI cards are between the GF-FX 5600 Ultra and the GF FX 5700 Ultra cards. The Halo and AquaMark benchmarks are a better comparison, but harder to read because they split the Pixel Shader 1.1 cards from the Pixel Shader 2.0 cards.)

But, if Deus Ex 2 performed good enough for you, then chances are Thief 3 will perform good enough for you too, even if that isn't good enough for me. It just surprises me, because the Geforce 3 was the card-to-have if you wanted to play Deus Ex 1 smoothly.

:O

hehe, well looks like my cards left eating dust compared to the newer ones, but the thing that addles me is the fact that DX proved playable with such an out-dated pile. The settings were cranked too, just had to keep it below 1024x768 to get decent frames. I guess its time to move onto bigger n better things, that'll be my third upgrade >< lol im a little behind on things, u see.

Oh yah, n how could I forgot, thanks for the info, you went to alot of trouble to give me some TLC n move me out of the stone age

No prob! I type fast. Actually I have a friend who just upgraded from a Geforce 3 a couple months ago. I guess those must have been pretty good cards. I skipped them myself because my GF 2 was pulling its weight pretty well up until UT2003 came out.

Given that the GF 4 TI's perform between a GF-FX 5600 Ultra and 5700 Ultra, the Geforce 3 couldn't have been even as slow as a GF-FX 5200. (you see, people, why you don't buy the 5200...) I predict the old cards going obsolete pretty fast now that the Geforce 6800 is out though, it nearly doubles the cards you saw at the top of that benchmark list. If only one would come out so I can buy it...

...and the ATI X800 is coming very soon too, and the review in The Register today is as salivation-causing as the 6800 one a week or two ago.

Toms has the X800s reviewed now.

They also have a short blurb in the hardnews section on the rest of the 6800 line. From the few benchmarks they've posted, I'd be very interested in seeing where the 6800 GT goes. It's priced the same as the X800 Pro, but performs almost the same as the 6800 Ultra.

Cool

Thanks for the reply RedLegg41 (LOL to the old monikor) but as you say maybe I'll get lucky? Actual specs are:

Duron 1.3g; 512 PC 133 CAS 2; TurtleBeach (does have EAX but since it's all about Audigy? ) and ATI 8500LE 128mg mainly.

Note to grafixmonkey...just for your G.P., I ran and still play DE1 very nicely/smoothly, etc. on my older other machine that I also still have using...AMD K6/2 380mhz/VooDoo 3/3000 PCI and 128 PC 100 RAM (*WIN98se) thank you very much So I respectfully disagree with your comment about the "Geforce 3 was the card-to-have" to play it best. Especially since it (the game) used AMD's MMX coding, both did use this engine very well IMHO

Ta and Good Hunting!
    It's not how you win the game, it's how you PLAY it! Have FUN!

Originally posted by Huntress
    Thanks for the reply RedLegg41 (LOL to the old monikor) but as you say maybe I'll get lucky? Actual specs are:

Duron 1.3g; 512 PC 133 CAS 2; TurtleBeach (does have EAX but since it's all about Audigy? ) and ATI 8500LE 128mg mainly.

Ta and Good Hunting!
    Ouch, that one is pretty low for Thief. The lowest we've tested on was a P4 1.5. Had to turn down much of the glory to play, but it could be played.

I can check on the test result for TB sound cards. I have an SB Live! on my rig at work, and the sound is simply awesome. I spent 2-3 minutes listening to a conversation yesterday, just turning left and right to check the positional sound. Turn left and the talking came from the left, right and the sound was correct. When I faced the two taffers talking there was a noticable increase in volume.

Did you run DX on that system?

P.S. it would be RedLegg47 now. That is how long I've been on the fourm.
    RedLegg

Re: Re: Re: Thief: Deadly Shadows System Specifications

Originally posted by RedLegg
    Your system is at least 50% better than the one I've been playing on. Thief Dark Shadows rocks on my machine. Even with a flat-panel display. You should be good to go!
    The new UT2004 engine is great, UT2004 runs great on my system, i hope they include that engine update.

Turn left and the talking came from the left, right and the sound was correct. When I faced the two taffers talking there was a noticable increase in volume.
    ... and if you turn away from them the sound comes from the rear speakers right? right?? I hope? (they totally forgot to check for that in Deus Ex 2 and the rear speaker positional sound had to be fixed by a community member finding some goofy DLL hack!) Please, I really loved it in the first Thief series, when I'd just gotten a good sound card with a Vortex 2 chip, when I could suddenly hear if a guard was behind me as well as in front. I just got a set of Klipsch 5.1 speakers too!

Note to grafixmonkey...just for your G.P., I ran and still play DE1 very nicely/smoothly, etc. on my older other machine that I also still have using...AMD K6/2 380mhz/VooDoo 3/3000 PCI and 128 PC 100 RAM (*WIN98se) thank you very much So I respectfully disagree with your comment about the "Geforce 3 was the card-to-have" to play it best.
    So you can turn the resolution up really high, and play at 1280x960 and still get 60 frames per second? I did get my lines a little confused, that's going way back in graphics card business... the Geforce 2 played Deus Ex 1 pretty well I remember, but I think I remember having to stay at 800x600 or 1024x768. The Geforce 3 I guess was after DX1's time, but with that I bet you could play at just about any resolution you want. "Card-To-Have" means the card that lets you crank everything up and enjoy every last bit of detail they put in the game. Like, I can play UT2004 smoothly on a Quadro 4, if I turn a bunch of stuff down. But the card-to-have is a Radeon 9800 XT or a geforce 6800, because then you can turn everything on at a high rez and (maybe with the 6800) play with antialiasing.

Originally posted by RedLegg
    I can check on the test result for TB sound cards.
    Please do. They support EAX2 which IIRC is the same level as the SB Live!

Originally posted by grafixmonkey
    So you can turn the resolution up really high, and play at 1280x960 and still get 60 frames per second?
    Heh. I doubt it. First time I played Deus Ex one was on a 1.33GHz Athlon with a gig of DDR2600 and a Radeaon 8500LE. Anything higher then 800x600 with 32bit textures and it got slishy. My 9800 on the other hand cranks out 1024x768(higher and I loose my 85Hz refresh) with 32 bit textures and 16x Ansi(AA doesn't work in DX1) like it's nothing.

Still new to the Windows xp thing and need a lil help.....

Hello All,
    This is my first post and im still new to the whole windows xp and how do i tell if my video card will run this.......
    on the plus side i do have a xbox.
    Im gonna try to post my specs but bare with me ok:

Pentium 4 cpu 2.66GHz
    1.25 gb ram
    windows xp
    disk space 74.4
    now my video card is stock but im thinking it might be something like Intel extreme graphics but IM NOT sure ,so anyone care to help me out so i know whether to buy the X-Box Version or Pc Version.....

1 More thing does anyone know the differnce between the 2 versions.

Thanks in advance,
    qwert

Hey qwert. Well mostly your specs are solid. However, if you DO have that Intel extreme graphics card apparantly the PC game won't work. Try hard to find out what graphics card you have! Then compare it to what the requirements specify. If you have the integrated card you'll either need to update it or get the XBox version (even though I think PC gaming is far more entertaining). Did you but a namebrand computer? If so, search for it online...or hunt down your receipt if you still have it. Will say it on there. Either way, good hunting!

Hey Woodenkey thanks for the help.1 thing i did was right click on my computer,select properties,select hardware,select device manager and then i choose display adapter and it says:

Intel(R) 82845g/gl/ge/pe/gv graphics controller

is that ok or am i doing it wrong.

I got a dell dimension 2400.

qwert

either way im getting it.....would like to have the pc version but i got to find out what card i have and if it'l work.

Ok after some research at the dell site i found out this:

General Information

Service Tag DD3ZD41
    Express Service Code 29090919457
    Computer Model Dimension 2400
    BIOS Vendor Dell Computer Corporation
    BIOS Version A05
    BIOS Date 12-02-03
    Windows Version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Processor

Manufacturer Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz
    Clock Speed 2.7GHz

Processor

Clock Speed 2.7GHz

Memory

Memory Slot 1 Description [DIMM_1]: 256Mb
    Memory Slot 2 Description [DIMM_2]: 1024Mb
    Available Memory 74.80 %
    Page File Size 3053.5Mb
    Available Page File 94.61 %
    Virtual Memory 4331.5Mb
    Available Virtual Memory 88.76 %

Memory

Memory Slot 1 Description [DIMM_1]: 256Mb
    Memory Slot 2 Description [DIMM_2]: 1024Mb

Memory

Memory

Network Card

Adapters Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport
    WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface

Storage

Drive Type Drive Size Total Available Space User Available Space
    C: NTFS 74.46Gb 61.27Gb 13.19Gb

Storage

Hardware

Type Description
    DVD/CD-ROM Drives HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8483B
    Disk Drives WDC WD800BB-75FRA0 74.50Gb
    Display Adapters Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller 64Mb
    Floppy Disk Drives (Standard floppy disk drives) Floppy disk drive
    IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers Intel(R) 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CB
    Primary IDE Channel
    Secondary IDE Channel
    Keyboards Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    Mice and Other Pointing Devices PS/2 Compatible Mouse
    Monitors Intel(R) Graphics Chipset (KCH) Driver - Intel Corporation
    Sound Devices Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
    SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
    USB Controllers Intel(r) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2
    Intel(r) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4
    Intel(r) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7
    Intel(r) 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD

Software

Name Version
    DA920EN
    ABBYY FineReader 5.0 Sprint 5.0.482.3421
    WebFldrs XP 9.50.6513
    Sonic RecordNow! 6.5.0
    Sonic Update Manager 2.9
    Internet Explorer Default Page 1.00.03
    Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8 Dell Edition 8.10.0000
    Dell Networking Guide 1.00.0001
    Sonic DLA 4.50
    Dell Support 2.1.0.0
    Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia Standard 2004 2004
    Microsoft Money 2004 System Pack 12.0.80
    WordPerfect Office 11 11.0
    Adobe Reader 6.0.1 006.000.001
    Jasc Paint Shop Photo Album 4.0.3
    Microsoft Money 2004 12.0.50
    Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2 1.4.2
    Banctec Service Agreement 1.00.0004
    Dell Solution Center 1.00.0000
    Broadcom Management Programs 4.01.0000
    Banctec Service Agreement 1.00.00
    Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 1.1.4322
    Help and Support Customization 1.00.0000

Software

So im kinda lost.
    qwert

Video Graphics: Integrated Intel® Extreme 3D Graphics with up to 64MB shared3 main memory.

damn this is bad aint it.
    looks like il be going with the xbox version.So anyone know the difference between the 2.
    qwert

qwert...I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that you have the integrated graphics which I guess that will not work for the PC game. However you have a few options. The Dell that you have doesn't have an AGP slot, just PCI...so you won't be able to get the fullest/most advance video cards out there. (I had a Dell 2400 and just upgraded to a new computer because of that little slip up on my part). Anyway....there ARE some PCI video cards out there that you can buy, but again...they do not compare to AGP. The best one I can think of is an ATI Radeon 9200 PCI 128mb. The good news is that it meets the specifications in the Thief PC game. Those cards run around $95 or so. SO...in your case to play the game you have 3 choices: 1) upgrade your pci video card. 2) Get a new computer (with AGP!). 3) Get the X-box version. Those are your best options. Good luck!

Rolleyes

You know what really chaps my ass, though? Most computers have 98 on em. 98 SE, or 2000 tops, but there aren't many of the last. I have to format mine and reinstall XP, and I THINK everything else is satisfactory. I also THOUGHT my machine was toppa the line.

This ain't nothin but pure and simple, old-fashioned Communism! Happens everytime those Microsoft Freaks start poontangin around with the law!

Hail to the Gates, the Chief Thief.
    Ash nazg gurbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul, Ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum ishi krimbatul

Page 4 of 24 First First 1234567814 ... Last