Thread: Thief: Deadly Shadows System Specifications

Thief: Deadly Shadows System Specifications

Originally posted by Optik45
    Reglegg, GM, Do you know if Thief III uses a CD key now? I would really like to just input a CD key once instead of constantly having the CD in to play the game.
    No, it does not use a CD key similar to other games (Battlefield just to name one). But you will need to have that game disk, as it will be copy-protected.
    RedLegg

Originally posted by van_HellSing PL
    The first sentence of my post means you got the name of the game wrong.

The second sentence of my post means I envy your playing Thief: Deadly Shadows.

I hope that clears it up
    That is what I get for writing messages before the morning coffee.
    RedLegg

Re: 1.1 pixel shader

Originally posted by matteus
    Do all the recommended Radeons and FX cards have 1.1 pixel shading? I want to spend as little as possible so i was hoping a Ati 9200 or a FX 5200 would do it?
    If you spend as little as possible, you'll get a little as possible. All GeForce FX and Radeon 9x00 series have 1.1 support. Invisible War did play on 5200s and 9200s, but only at the absolute lowest resolution and detail settings, and even then it was jerky. I'd strongly suggest that you get a mid-range card, such as a 9600 Pro or a 5700 Ultra. Both are around $175, and should let you play with some decent detail settings.

Originally posted by mtllord
    Will the GeForce2 Ecstasy Gold be supported?
    A Geforce 2 is a Geforce 2, now how many pretty suffixes you tag on the end. Soo... No.

Originally posted by prjames
    I choose Win98SE instead of XP because I have heard repeatedly that XP is a resource hog.
    I was a 98SE fanatic as well about 2 years ago. When I saw the recremended ram requirements on 2000 and XP, and just refused to upgrade.

However, it turns out that when you have more then 256MB of ram, 98SE can no longer efficently address it, and ends up wasting ram allover the place. I don't remeber why exactly, but two summers ago 98SE had gone tits-up(again), and I decided to give 2000 a try. Well aprently when you throw a gig of ram at 98SE it starts rocking back and forth in a corner of the institution, because my fresh install of 98SE(with just a VS and firewall running) was using 22% of my gig at idle. My equally fresh install of 2000(with the same VS and firewall) on the other hand used 12%. I took into consideration that 10% of a gig was 100MB, and have been using 2000 since then. Now XP is another matter.... It does use more ram then 2000, and personally I find the new interface fruity and the "user-friendlyness" to be intolerably "helpfull".

I'm suspect you still don't care, but I just thought I'd share.

Originally posted by hellbilly
    Might as well try it anyways...you could always just return the game the same day or the next if it doesn't work.

That depends on if the place you buy it from will take back open software returns.

I've got
    1200mhz amd athlon xp (can't afford to update it, as I would have to buy a new mothrboard at the same time, and I don't have any money)
    Nvidia Geforce 4 TI 4400 128mb
    detonator 45.23 drivers (the ones that get rid of the flickering in DX:IW)
    392mb simm (there's only three ram slots on the motherboard)
    60gb hard drive although on 21gb is free (filled with far cry, thief 2 mods, morrowind + 2 official extra add on's)
    soundblaster 4.1 soundcard

I've pre-ordered the european dvd version, should get it about chiristmas time.

After I've played half-life 2 in july.

After I've played half-life 2 in july
    Yeah, riiiight...

Athlon 700
    512MB PC133
    Asus 6800 deluxe GeForce I
    SB Live Value
    Win XP

I guess my wife's new computer won't play it. I'll be dropping just under $1000 mostly to play this game, and some to speed up home movie making.

Probably get an Athlon 64 3k, 9800 Rad, Audigy combo meal.
    (wife's new computer is my current for those decaf drinkers)

It looks like the Win98 users will just have to download a "risk-free version" of the game.

Admin note:

The Iron Claw

The policy of The Iron Claw is that the moderators will show no mercy when it comes to maintaining order and ensuring that the rules of the forum are obeyed. We ask that all members read and understand the rules completely. Violations will be dealt with at the moderators discretion. A moderator may change a title, edit a post, delete a post, close a thread, or delete a thread. One of the rules is that members shall not complain about or debate moderators’ decisions in the forum. If you have any questions, you may e-mail or PM us.

Members who are deemed to be in repeated violation, flagrant violation, or incorrigible may be banned. In most cases we try to work with the individual to correct problems, but in some cases a member could be banned outright. There are no requirements for due process. Think what you are writing before hitting the Submit button.

Originally posted by john9818a
    That depends on if the place you buy it from will take back open software returns.
    Indeed.

Jesus..1.5 GHz..
    I have a 400 MHz
    guess I'll have to deal without the game then

*cries*

are these the minimum specifications?

Saturday, May 1st 2004, 07:35am (local Gr time )

Dear Forum Administrator,

My name is Christopher Stathopoulos, I'm 31yo, and a gamer from Athens, Greece.Thank you for taking the care to provide the public with the official sytem specifications for the third installment of "Thief" game series, but can you please clarify whether these are the minimum or the recommended system specifications?
    Thank you for your time,

Best Regards,

Christopher Stathopoulos

They're the required specs.

Originally posted by RedLegg
    Those are the required. You MAY have it run on a lower specification, but your performance will be VERY poor.

The recommended specs are higher. 2gig plus CPU and 512 or higher RAM. Geforce 4 5600 or higher or ATI 9600 and up. Audigy 2 sound card for EAX support.

Thank you!

Had a chance to get around to seeing how those headphones or multiple speaker set up sounds yet?

Unhappy

I started to post the other day but hit a bad key and my video froze and could not get past it and had to reboot. Made me ticked so I didn't write again till today.

I am very unhappy about WIN98(se) not being supported. There have been many changes to this new game that has not thrilled me but I figured I'd at least try the demo (if one is released) to make a final decision to see if I could get past these disappointmens. Now however, this will be a final letdown to not my buying this game! I'm not sure how this static was reached...the overall number of ppl playing games having all but 3% not migrating to XP, but for my preference, I will not buy a whole new OS plus the other upgrades that would seem to be made. I do not like the intrusion of MS to take over your computer and what you put in it and even less the more they intend to do with their newer upcoming OS!!!

There will still be many producers that recognize the fact that there are still many WIN98 users and I guess I'll be supporting their efforts (hopefully I think DoomIII and Half-Life 2, etc.) and am sorry that Eidos/ION have elected to not include this group of gamers! But like another person, perhaps a patch will be made to change this?

I will still try to see if/how it would run on my so-called dated system (via a demo) but will not buy the game to try it.

Some of my other specs are borderline or slightly under (CPU is 1.3ghz) etc. so maybe it won't work anyway...I'll just have to wait and see I guess. Ta and Good Hunting!
    It's not how you win the game, it's how you PLAY it! Have FUN!

Hi Huntress! I'm pretty much in your boat--I have ME & a 1.2 GHz CPU. Besides that, I will need to upgrade both my sound & video cards so we're talking a major upgrade. I may take the plunge regardless but it will be a big expense & I would have to have a reason other than just playing T3 to do all that.

This is my first post here, but i've been reading these forums for quite a while. :0
    I just have a quiestion for Grey Mouser or RegLegg - whichever has the game and can play it (lucky bastards ). It's about the game performance, cause i gotta now if i should start saving for an upgrade...
    How would you say the game runs compared to DX:IW? At what settings do you play the game and on what system.
    Pardon my curiuosity, but i have the money for an upgrade but i really need it right now for something else... and if the game doesn't suck the life out of the CPU/GFX card there's no point in saaving/upgrading.

Originally posted by MindBlank
    This is my first post here, but i've been reading these forums for quite a while. :0
    I just have a quiestion for Grey Mouser or RegLegg - whichever has the game and can play it (lucky bastards ). It's about the game performance, cause i gotta now if i should start saving for an upgrade...
    How would you say the game runs compared to DX:IW? At what settings do you play the game and on what system.
    Pardon my curiuosity, but i have the money for an upgrade but i really need it right now for something else... and if the game doesn't suck the life out of the CPU/GFX card there's no point in saaving/upgrading.
    This is the spec on the system I've been using:

AMD 1.7 Ghz
    256 RAM
    ATi Radeon 9700 Pro
    SB Live Value
    Windows XP Pro

The game runs very well at 1024x768x32bit with Multi-sample X2 and bloom on. And it is still being optimized.

DX would not run on that configuration with satisfactory results. (as many have experienced) On the same system I had to run 800x600x32bit with no Multi-sampling and got a consistent 45 FPS.

I've not run FRAPS on TSD (just too lazy), but overall I am very happy with the performance of the game. The lighting and shadows are simply put awesome. If you have a lesser system, upgrading will only improve the performance.

HTH
    RedLegg

Originally posted by Huntress
    I started to post the other day but hit a bad key and my video froze and could not get past it and had to reboot. Made me ticked so I didn't write again till today.

I am very unhappy about WIN98(se) not being supported. There have been many changes to this new game that has not thrilled me but I figured I'd at least try the demo (if one is released) to make a final decision to see if I could get past these disappointmens. Now however, this will be a final letdown to not my buying this game! I'm not sure how this static was reached...the overall number of ppl playing games having all but 3% not migrating to XP, but for my preference, I will not buy a whole new OS plus the other upgrades that would seem to be made. I do not like the intrusion of MS to take over your computer and what you put in it and even less the more they intend to do with their newer upcoming OS!!!

There will still be many producers that recognize the fact that there are still many WIN98 users and I guess I'll be supporting their efforts (hopefully I think DoomIII and Half-Life 2, etc.) and am sorry that Eidos/ION have elected to not include this group of gamers! But like another person, perhaps a patch will be made to change this?

I will still try to see if/how it would run on my so-called dated system (via a demo) but will not buy the game to try it.

Some of my other specs are borderline or slightly under (CPU is 1.3ghz) etc. so maybe it won't work anyway...I'll just have to wait and see I guess. Ta and Good Hunting!
    I feel your pain Huntress, I felt much the same when I had to switch from my Amiga to WinTel machines back in the day.

Being that there are more factors for you than just the OS, I'd say sadly, that you would be disappointed if we did support Win98. Again to be clear, Win 98 may not be supported, but it may work on your system. One hopes that a demo is forthcoming to help those in your position.

Regards,
    RedLegg

Originally posted by pibb
    Had a chance to get around to seeing how those headphones or multiple speaker set up sounds yet?
    We have, and they fuction as designed. Though personally I've a SB Live so the EAX features don't work. I have played it with headphones with satisfactory results.

The sound engine in Thief is better than anything I've come across in recent times. Even without EAX. I cannot wait until I can bring the game home to play on my Ubersystem.
    RedLegg

Originally posted by RedLegg
    This is the spec on the system I've been using:

AMD 1.7 Ghz
    256 RAM
    ATi Radeon 9700 Pro
    SB Live Value
    Windows XP Pro

The game runs very well at 1024x768x32bit with Multi-sample X2 and bloom on. And it is still being optimized.

DX would not run on that configuration with satisfactory results. (as many have experienced) On the same system I had to run 800x600x32bit with no Multi-sampling and got a consistent 45 FPS.

I've not run FRAPS on TSD (just too lazy), but overall I am very happy with the performance of the game. The lighting and shadows are simply put awesome. If you have a lesser system, upgrading will only improve the performance.

HTH
    Wow!! Thanks so much! I don't have to upgrade right now

AMD AthlonXP 2800+
    512 MB RAM
    Radeon 9600 PRO

Guess it's gonna run pretty decent on my rig

By the way, Mr. Mod, did you now that nforce 2 and nforce 3 are motherboard chipsets and not graphics cards? Or where you refering to the versions that have little built in viedo cards on them? I think its a 9100 that's integrated though...

Those running Windows 98(and ME) can probably get away with having slightly lower than the minimum system specs as 2k and XP use more resources. You'd have to turn down the options, though(and try it with bloom both on and off).

That is, if the game will run on your system(which it probably will).

OK, I had DX IW and it ran good to crapy(depending on level and what was happening) at highest graphics and @1024x768 res. My question is, will Thief run at an acceptable framerate with the optimizations and these specs:

2.6C P4 800mhz bus (HT)
    1 GB of DDR PC2700 RAM (dual-channel) @ 666mhz
    Geforce FX 5900 Ultra
    SB Audigy 2
    WinXP Pro
    7200 RPM HD

I put what I believed would effect preformance (for example, the fact that the HD is 120 GB does not matter). I am a bit skeptical of the optimizations but I REALLY hope they payoff cause I just love the Thief series and I want to have a blast playing it.

Originally posted by Black Knight6662000
    My question is, will Thief run at an acceptable framerate with the optimizations and these specs:
    2.6C P4 800mhz bus (HT)
    1 GB of DDR PC2700 RAM (dual-channel) @ 666mhz
    Geforce FX 5900 Ultra
    SB Audigy 2
    WinXP Pro
    7200 RPM HD
    It had better with specs like that. In all likelyhood it will perform better than IW seeing as it's using a better performing version of the engine(it's had more time to be worked on). It will at least have the performance of IW 1.2(although I doubt you'll have the option of turning down the shadows).

One question though: why PC2700 when you could have used PC3200 and ran that in dual-channel?

Page 3 of 24 First First 123456713 ... Last