Page 2 of 24 First First 12345612 ... Last

Thread: Thief: Deadly Shadows System Specifications

Thief: Deadly Shadows System Specifications

Well, I'm out. I'm not about to spend hundreds to upgrade my 2 year old comps just to play a game when I can wait a year, get an upgraded machine and buy the game used for $10.

Grey Mouser Guest
    Originally posted by Blame_Benny
    Well, I'm out. I'm not about to spend hundreds to upgrade my 2 year old comps just to play a game when I can wait a year, get an upgraded machine and buy the game used for $10.
    Understandable.

No Win98SE support - bummer

I would suggest you strongly reconsider your decision to not support Win98.

If I was to buy Thief: Dark Shadows now, I'd have to pay $200+ for it (cost of game + $100 for WinXP upgrade from 98SE + $80-$100 for graphics card to replace my GEForce4 MX). Sorry, as they used to say in early text adventure games, "Not bloody likely".

I can understand not supporting my graphics card. Other games (DX:IW, of course, but also the latest Prince of Persia) won't support it either. But this is the first game I've seen that is not going to have Win98 support. (Even DX:IW supported Win98SE, although it's other requirements were similar to what you announced here for Thief: Dark Shadows.) I just looked at this month's Computer Gaming World. All the reviewed games support Win98 (they don't even mention OSes, they just assume you have Win98). In fact, some of the games have higher minimum requirements if you have 2000/XP (usually for memory) because 2000/XP is apparently more of a resource hog than Win98.

I actually purchased my PC a year ago from a local shop that lets you customize and let me choose the OS. I choose Win98SE instead of XP because I have heard repeatedly that XP is a resource hog. I admit my reaction upon hearing your system requirements was, "Do they really want to sell any copies of T: DS to PC gamers (as opposed to the XBox version)?"

To be honest, I think you (Ion Storm/Eidos) are shooting yourselves in the foot by not supporting Win98 - you will definitely sell fewer games, and you won't sell Thief 3 to me in the near future (I might have bought the game and the graphics card (especially if you release an SDK), but not the game, the graphics card, + $100 to Microsoft, + pain of setting up dual-boot.) Especially if we learn that Half-Life 2 and/or Doom3 will support Win98SE, you all are likely to look ridiculous with your steep requirements.

(Sorry, needed to get this off my chest.)

- prjames

Originally posted by Grey Mouser
    Understandable.

Please understand that it BREAKS my heart to come to that realization. Thief II is the only video game I've played in the two years since I bought it. I'm a devout junkie. Even decided that my next dog's name has to be Benny.

Question 1.1 pixel shader

I'm thinking of getting a new graphics card for T DS. Do all the recommended cards have 1.1 pixel shading? How do you find this out? Do all the recommended Radeons and FX cards have 1.1 pixel shading? I want to spend as little as possible so i was hoping a Ati 9200 or a FX 5200 would do it?

Thanksie

Re: 1.1 pixel shader

Originally posted by matteus
    How do you find this out?
    Thanksie
    Try a GOOGLE for the GeForce, and for Radeon.

OR:
    http://www.ati.com/
    http://www.nvidia.com/page/home

Does Thief III support a NVIDIA GeForce 5600

Originally posted by siris4285
    Does Thief III support a NVIDIA GeForce 5600
    Erm, yes...NVIDIA GEFORCE FX SERIES includes that one.
    RedLegg

Re: 1.1 pixel shader

Originally posted by matteus
    I'm thinking of getting a new graphics card for T DS. Do all the recommended cards have 1.1 pixel shading? How do you find this out? Do all the recommended Radeons and FX cards have 1.1 pixel shading? I want to spend as little as possible so i was hoping a Ati 9200 or a FX 5200 would do it?

Thanksie
    Yes all of the cards/chipsets will support Pixel Shaders 1.1. Just to refresh the group memory.
    SUPPORTED GRAPHICS CHIPSETS:
    ATI RADEON 8500
    ATI RADEON 9 SERIES (9000,9200,9500,9600,9700,9800)
    NVIDIA GEFORCE 3TI SERIES
    NVIDIA GEFORCE 4TI SERIES
    NVIDIA GEFORCE FX SERIES
    NVIDIA GEFORCE 6 SERIES
    GRAPHICS CARD MUST SUPPORT PIXEL SHADER 1.1!
    And to further illuminate:

UNSUPPORTED GRAPHICS CHIPSETS:
    NVIDIA GEFORCE 4MX (460, 440 & 420)
    NVIDIA GEFORCE 4 GO
    NVIDIA QUADRO FX GO
    NVIDIA GEFORCE NFORCE2 & NFORCE3
    These will not work.
    HTH

Will the GeForce2 Ecstasy Gold be supported?

Will Thief III run on my system?

I have a laptop with all specs higher than I needed. However, when I tried to run Deus Ex: IW, it gave me the error saying I did not have pixel shader 1.1, which was BS because I have a higher pixel shader than that, and all other games that require that run fine. Apparently, many others have had the same error although their systems more than met the requirements. Moderators closed all topics related to this issue on official forums, basically ignoring what people were saying. In any case, I have 1.7 GHz Athlon with 640 MB RAM and 9200 ATI Radeon mobility videochip, which DOES have all the latest drivers etc., does anyone know if Thief III will have the same strange configurations as in Deus Ex-2 that somehow prevents the game running with modern videocards? Thanks!

Re: Thief: Deadly Shadows System Specifications

WINDOWS 2000/XP (ADMIN RIGHTS REQUIRED) (95/98/ME/NT NOT SUPPORTED!)

That's what they said about Prince of Persia IV, it ran superb on my Windows 98SE.

INTEL PENTIUM® IV 1.5GHZ (AMD ATHLON XP™ EQUIVALENT)

Intel Pentium IV 2.4 GHZ

256MB SYSTEM MEMORY

512 MB

100% DIRECTX 9 COMPATIBLE SOUND CARD

Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1

3GB FREE HARD DISC SPACE

40GB Hard Disk

MOUSE AND KEYBOARD

Why in the world ? everybody would have them.

CD-ROM DRIVE REQUIRED.

52 X CD Rom
    16 X DVD Combo

ATI RADEON 8500
    NVIDIA GEFORCE FX SERIES
    NVIDIA GEFORCE 6 SERIES

Asus V9570 GeForce FX 5700 256 MB.

Well, as it looks like I cannot play the game on my laptop (unless I spend about two grand on a new laptop with the right graphics card or at least $1000 to buy a desktop system that I have no room for), I think that I will probably just buy an XBox. They are selling on E-Bay for about $120. Plus, if this lack of laptop support is the wave of the future, $120 is a small price to pay for other games I might want to play on it.

This may not be the right place to ask, but can anyone think of a good reason not to do this? I'm sure there are differences in gameplay between the XBox and PC versions of TDS, but it's better than not playing the game at all.

Re: Re: Thief: Deadly Shadows System Specifications

Originally posted by Beagle Boy
    WINDOWS 2000/XP (ADMIN RIGHTS REQUIRED) (95/98/ME/NT NOT SUPPORTED!)

That's what they said about Prince of Persia IV, it ran superb on my Windows 98SE.

INTEL PENTIUM® IV 1.5GHZ (AMD ATHLON XP™ EQUIVALENT)

Intel Pentium IV 2.4 GHZ

256MB SYSTEM MEMORY

512 MB

100% DIRECTX 9 COMPATIBLE SOUND CARD

Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1

3GB FREE HARD DISC SPACE

40GB Hard Disk

MOUSE AND KEYBOARD

Why in the world ? everybody would have them.

CD-ROM DRIVE REQUIRED.

52 X CD Rom
    16 X DVD Combo

ATI RADEON 8500
    NVIDIA GEFORCE FX SERIES
    NVIDIA GEFORCE 6 SERIES

Asus V9570 GeForce FX 5700 256 MB.
    Your system is at least 50% better than the one I've been playing on. Thief Dark Shadows rocks on my machine. Even with a flat-panel display. You should be good to go!
    RedLegg

Re: Will Thief III run on my system?

Originally posted by Darkhan
    I have a laptop with all specs higher than I needed. However, when I tried to run Deus Ex: IW, it gave me the error saying I did not have pixel shader 1.1, which was BS because I have a higher pixel shader than that, and all other games that require that run fine. Apparently, many others have had the same error although their systems more than met the requirements. Moderators closed all topics related to this issue on official forums, basically ignoring what people were saying. In any case, I have 1.7 GHz Athlon with 640 MB RAM and 9200 ATI Radeon mobility videochip, which DOES have all the latest drivers etc., does anyone know if Thief III will have the same strange configurations as in Deus Ex-2 that somehow prevents the game running with modern videocards? Thanks!
    Not to belabor the point, but

LAPTOPS ARE NOT SUPPORTED!

The game, based on the same general code as Deus Ex Invisiable War most likely will perform in a similar manner.
    RedLegg

What's a Thief Dark Shadows? :P

Man! I envy you...

Re: No Win98SE support - bummer

Originally posted by prjames
    I would suggest you strongly reconsider your decision to not support Win98.

If I was to buy Thief: Dark Shadows now, I'd have to pay $200+ for it (cost of game + $100 for WinXP upgrade from 98SE + $80-$100 for graphics card to replace my GEForce4 MX). Sorry, as they used to say in early text adventure games, "Not bloody likely".

I can understand not supporting my graphics card. Other games (DX:IW, of course, but also the latest Prince of Persia) won't support it either. But this is the first game I've seen that is not going to have Win98 support. (Even DX:IW supported Win98SE, although it's other requirements were similar to what you announced here for Thief: Dark Shadows.) I just looked at this month's Computer Gaming World. All the reviewed games support Win98 (they don't even mention OSes, they just assume you have Win98). In fact, some of the games have higher minimum requirements if you have 2000/XP (usually for memory) because 2000/XP is apparently more of a resource hog than Win98.

I actually purchased my PC a year ago from a local shop that lets you customize and let me choose the OS. I choose Win98SE instead of XP because I have heard repeatedly that XP is a resource hog. I admit my reaction upon hearing your system requirements was, "Do they really want to sell any copies of T: DS to PC gamers (as opposed to the XBox version)?"

To be honest, I think you (Ion Storm/Eidos) are shooting yourselves in the foot by not supporting Win98 - you will definitely sell fewer games, and you won't sell Thief 3 to me in the near future (I might have bought the game and the graphics card (especially if you release an SDK), but not the game, the graphics card, + $100 to Microsoft, + pain of setting up dual-boot.) Especially if we learn that Half-Life 2 and/or Doom3 will support Win98SE, you all are likely to look ridiculous with your steep requirements.

(Sorry, needed to get this off my chest.)

- prjames
    Thanks for your comments. Industry research indicates that 97% of those that have gaming systems in the target market do not still use Windows 98/ME.

We considered that gain of potenitally 3% of users did not justify the delay that would result in trying fix the stability that is experienced on Windows 9x systems and came to the conclusion that the benefit did not warrant the contined developement time involved.

We have had some success with this OS, but the majority of systems that were configured with it, were very unstable. Thus we decided not to support the "legacy" OS.

You may not have any problems if your computer is using Window 98/ME, but you are given fair warning that if you make a choice to purchase the game, we cannot help you with the problems that may arise. Moreover, we could only encourage your to follow what has become the litany of gaming tech support. Namely, update driver, insure that all background programs are not running, ad nausea.

This situation is corollary to when publishers and developers moved from all DOS, all the time; to Window 95.
    RedLegg

Originally posted by van_HellSing PL
    What's a Thief Dark Shadows? :P

Man! I envy you...
    RedLegg

The first sentence of my post means you got the name of the game wrong.

The second sentence of my post means I envy your playing Thief: Deadly Shadows.

I hope that clears it up

Re: Van_Hellsing PL:
    Yup, you got me. I misstated the name of the game formerly known as "Thief 3".

Re: RedLegg:

Thanks for your reply. You could choose to support Win98 later if you get a loud outcry (louder than just me ) or you find it easy/trivial to fix Win98SE issues after launch. The probability I will buy the game as soon as you ship it is pretty low anyway.
    Similarly, if a bunch of people report on the forums that Thief: Deadly Shadows works well (or at least "good enough") on Win98SE, I might just "throw the dice" myself.

(I look forward to reading in a couple months that patch 1.05 of the game adds support for Win98SE. )

- prjames

Might as well try it anyways...you could always just return the game the same day or the next if it doesn't work. I, on the other hand, cannot play it yet because I'm running an GF2 MX card. I guess I'm not even supposed to be able to play T2, but it runs pretty well with my athlon 850. I think "throwing the dice" for me would be tryin to only upgrade my video card...and bumpin my memory up to at least 512. I think it just may work.

Reglegg, GM, Do you know if Thief III uses a CD key now? I would really like to just input a CD key once instead of constantly having the CD in to play the game.

It just may work...provided, you make sure the Athlon has perfect cooling, because it will be going to suffer!

But about your memory: are you still using non-DDRRAM?
    If so, you'll likely run into caching-problems, when moving around fast.
    But whether this will happen often?

A new (let's say middle-ranged) vid.card also will need more power...is your power-supply sufficient enough?

If you're the Thief-fan that I think you are, then I'd consider upgrading the entire computer.
    Doesn't have to be anything special...just make sure you meet the recommended system-specs easily.
    Shouldn't have to cost you more than 400-500$, and will give you a new Thief-experience (on breath-taking settings!) for at least 2 years, if we will be able to make fan-missions.
    www.61shap.org

No..I have to get another power supply as well. I think I can score one for nothing through a friend that works for the university. Yeah, I could upgrade everything right now. I'd just have to not eat for a few weeks. It's ok though. I just recently started playing T2 fan missions. So, I'm doing ok.

Originally posted by Optik45
    Reglegg, GM, Do you know if Thief III uses a CD key now? I would really like to just input a CD key once instead of constantly having the CD in to play the game.
    I seriously doubt that. Most games that use a CD key are multiplayer, with single player games a cd-key would be no protection at all.

Page 2 of 24 First First 12345612 ... Last