Thread: What happened to the futuristic look of DX1?

What happened to the futuristic look of DX1?

Rolleyes What happened to the futuristic look of DX1?

OMG!!!
    What happened to the cool Cyberpunk-look of Deus-Ex?
    I didn't play the game yet but when I look on the screenshots I only see "antique-lookin" surroundings and boring stonebuildings. What happened to the cool futuristic all steel and glass buildings looming in the shadows, the flashing neon-signs and the computer-terminals visible in DX1.
    Is it just the screenshots lacking the cyberpunk-atmosphere or are these elements also missing in the game?

A system-shocked DX1 fan,
    Wireflyer

Well it's not as if technology is completely eradicated in the sequel. There are still computer terminals, security cameras, neon signs and other things like that.

There are a couple of places in IW that do still have a futuristic feel to them, but for the most part the game does seem to have lost that. Although that's not really surprising, considering that it follows the Collapse.
    "Tell me about the shipment and I'll order the troops to pick you up as a prisoner instead of a corpse!" - JC Denton.

Question whywhywhy

Thanks for the answer but that hurts to hear.
    One of the things most dear to me in DX1 was the cyberpunk-feeling you had. It was fun alone, wandering around at the hongkong-market or the old town (where JC had his apartment) savouring the great mood. The settings were unique to DX1 and unparalleled, in my opinion.

And even after the collaps (I chose the melting with Daedalus, or was it Icarus - damn too long a time ago - ) steel and glass should still rule the face of the city, not stone. It seems to me they adapted the look for DX2 to fit that of any other games out there.
    There are many high tech gadgets in the game (nanites, hologramm, etc.) but they seem oddly displaced in this boring low-tech stone-cave-feeling-like surroundings.

I have to say though, there is a wallmap of the main character with the handgun, pointing toward you with a very cool futuristic city as a background. Why the bloody hell didn't they make such surroundings for the game??!!!!!!

Re: whywhywhy

Originally posted by Wireflyer
    I have to say though, there is a wallmap of the main character with the handgun, pointing toward you with a very cool futuristic city as a background. Why the bloody hell didn't they make such surroundings for the game??!!!!!!
    I think you probably mean Seattle, which is in the game. It's a pretty small area, though, unfortunately. If you wanted plenty of maps that look like Hong Kong you'll probably be disappointed, but the stone environments you describe is probably Cairo, which is only one location. There are still plenty of science labs and so on, but not many locations like Hong Kong or New York from DX1.

Originally posted by DarkForge
    There are a couple of places in IW that do still have a futuristic feel to them, but for the most part the game does seem to have lost that. Although that's not really surprising, considering that it follows the Collapse.
    There's no reason why a termination of international communications would mean the end of neon signs, glass high rises, etc....

I think he's referring to the economic collapse, so the poorer areas are very run-down, while the rich areas like Upper Seattle are shinier. But there aren't that many maps in the rich areas.

Huh?

-Hoovering bots
    -Omar
    -Holocoms
    -NG Resonance
    -AI Ava
    -Illuminati troops
    -JC's sanctuary

All pretty cyberpunk to me..

-Hoovering bots
    -Omar
    -Holocoms
    -NG Resonance
    -AI Ava
    -Illuminati troops
    -JC's sanctuary

All pretty cyberpunk to me.

Yea thats all cool and cyberpunk.
    But I was more referring to the surroundings, not the tech-gadget. Cyberpunk feeling is for me the streets of a "Bladerunner Megacity", "Ghost in the Shell" and such. Skyscrapers and flashing neon signs, but not only this. Also run-down slums or old innercity quarters can have this cyberpunk mood to them.
    On the screenshots I didn't feel this, only buildings like in any FPS and even ones that would more appeal to a tomb-raider episode.
    But at last I don't have played the game yet so I still have hopes that my fears will be displaced.