Thread: Campaign for a T: DS Editor

Campaign for a T: DS Editor

I think the new signups are probably because the game has just come out in Europe.

I found Thief by accident (it came with my sound card) I played it, liked it and then lost it. I read about FM’s in an issue of PC Gamer so I DLed a FM and I was hooked all over again. I pre-ordered Thief gold, I pre-ordered Thief 2, I pre-ordered Thief 3 but if there are no FM's this game is dead to me, I will not buy Thief 4. Thief has 0 replay value for me! I finished the game on its hardest level and found all the loot. What’s Left? Eidos you have a winner here don’t blow it now.

Over 5000 sigs! Tell all your friends! Get the word out!

Cool

Sweet! Keep 'em coming!!!
    ===================================
    Support the campaign for
    Thief: Deadly Shadows editing tools
    at www.thiefpetition.com.

Hi yall,

I don't know if anyones mentioned this before, I haven't seen it posted so maybe not.

Money

We are asking for something for free here, probably because the T1 & T2 tools came free, maybe if Eidos/Ion Storm saw a profit we might get what we're asking for

I personally would be prepared to pay a good solid fraction of the game cost for a level editor, possibly even match the game cost if it's a good easy to use editor.

My game development skills are practically nil at the moment, but I'd still buy it to see if I could make something worth playing.

So anyone else ? can we convince them there's a market for a development system ?

I signed the petition ages ago

Originally posted by esme
    We are asking for something for free here, probably because the T1 & T2 tools came free, maybe if Eidos/Ion Storm saw a profit we might get what we're asking for
    You've got a point, but. . .

First, traditionally construction tools have shipped free as part of the game. I'll grant you that tradition isn't everything, but we (or at least I) am not asking Eidos to send me a free disc, just post it and I'll download it (and ain't DSL great ).

Second, and more important, there is a profit to be seen here, though marketting types who have problems taking the long view may not understand that profit. Morrowind is my baseline for this. Morrowind shipped with a construction set, and as a result a thriving mod community has developed. This has kept the game alive. I'll bet my rent money that, two years after the initial release of the game, Bethesda is seeing profits from Morrowind sales, and much of that is because of the Mod community.

So, the profit of releasing an editor is found in continuing sales after the initial release of the game, not to mention the good will generated which will, in turn, develop into better sales for Thief 4 (assuming there is a Thief 4.

Matthew

True in the long term it will increase their profits to release a development system for free, but in the short term 1-2 years say, it won't put anything on the books and will actually cost them.

Their shareholders want a return this year not in 5 years time or else they'll go for a more profitable company.

The sad truth is the industry is driven by short termitis, there aint no such animal as a 10 year business plan, and if there isn't an immediate profit it doesn't get done these days.

So I'm offering money, it's not much I'll grant you but it gives them a return in their investment and might increase the chance of getting a development kit

Signed the petiton. Not a thief level editor myself- found dromed too hard to use , but some of the Thief 1/2 FMs i've played have been really outstanding and i'd love to see the community get their teeth sunk into the new engine.

I don't understand it myself. We all know the editor exists, they've made the game with it for christs sake! Surely it wouldn't be such a hard job to pop it on a cd or post it on the internet? They probably wouldn't even need to write documentation for it- the community would no doubt do that. Why withhold it? It can only mean good things for the game and its sales!

Originally posted by esme
    True in the long term it will increase their profits to release a development system for free, but in the short term 1-2 years say, it won't put anything on the books and will actually cost them...........
    The problem is... realistically... not many people are going to buy a game editor after they've paid 50 bucks for the game, especially when (as far as I know) all the other game editors out there are free. As soon as you put a price tag on it, you lose the interest of a big percentage of the people who otherwise would've downloaded it. The less people download the editor, the less effective it is in generating game sales in the long run.

Also, Eidos, as far as I know, is not in the business of selling game editors. There is a whole lot more involved in selling software than simply putting a price tag on it... Marketing, advertising, tech support, product/project management, tracking and forecasting sales, etc... A retail game editor is a product in the fullest sense.

It would be MUCH easier and much more realistic for them to release a free editor and simply support it by allotting some forum space for people to talk about it. Maybe even providing some patches every now and then.

Anyway, keep those signatures coming
    Support the campaign for
    Thief: Deadly Shadows editing tools
    at www.thiefpetition.com.

I could be 100% wrong, but I suspect there could be licencing issues (Havok/Epic/MS) with selling an editor as opposed to giving one away for free or as part of an expansion pack.

Not in the slightest as they won't allow code editing, it's not going to allow changes to the engine, just making levels, which falls under the concern of Maya, who allowed what was essentially a stripped down version of their multi-thousand pound 3D development software.

6140 and counting...

Can we have a petition to have Thief I and II redone ? That'll give them money

ya umm if thief 1-2 was remade
    il be the first at gamestop to pick my copy up and about 20 of the people i know will to!!

dont bother me if no editor is released but for you budding level designers ill sign,hmmmm this reminds me of the guys at splinter cell forum wanting an editor and raven shield,no joy for them,hope you guys are more succseful.........

Originally posted by Feiht
    ya umm if thief 1-2 was remade
    il be the first at gamestop to pick my copy up and about 20 of the people i know will to!!
    So am I !!!! But after some thinking I figured its impossible, since levels are too big And it would suck to have this blue wall across the entire Shipping and receiving for example

Rolleyes Eidos need a kicking

I know that Eidos have issues about there editor, but COME ON, this thread has over three pages of posts, not to mention 6500 + pertition replys and more letters to boot (unless they are shreading them they should be at head hight in the Eidos labs by now). so why hasn't ONE Eidos/ion storm exec come up with a simple global reply, I mean even if it was a huge NO then at least we would know when to start sending the death threats instead of the pertitions /

just put us out of our misery Eidos!

Be prepared people. Soon the tribe must rise again. . . changes are coming. . .

I signed.

Is Eidos even paying attention to this thread?

A flat yes or no would be nice, preferably a yes but even a 'we are thinking about it' is better than 'we have no plans at this time' as the latter implies plans may be made in the future and still leaves us in limbo

All this effort and not a peep is bloody disheartening

C'mon guys yay or nay put us out of our misery

i signed. so....if we get more signatures, we get more chances, right? would it be fair to get more emails, and signup again and again?

No, not really. Send a letter instead.
    I want your brain... to make his heart... beat faster.

Maybe they are going to release an expansion pack for this game, and they might release the editor then. If they release the editor now, then alot of people might not get the expansion since they will have all the FM to play for free.

Just a thought.

Maybe they are going to release an expansion pack for this game, and they might release the editor then. If they release the editor now, then alot of people might not get the expansion since they will have all the FM to play for free.

Just a thought.

Page 3 of 7 First First 1234567 Last