Thread: not enough space for new game?

not enough space for new game?

cyb3rvampire Guest

not enough space for new game?

hey...i recently installed the game...everything was fine, i have all the system requriements the directx9, the virtual memory etc. i go to start a new game and it says "can not start a new game not enoguh space on your PC" WTF!?!?! i have 2 hard drives, one has 80gbs free, the other has about 8gbs free, space cant be the problem, a game cant be that big, so wtf is going? im running XP pro with NTFS hard drives....help this is pissing me off

Did you try this?

If you receive an error message saying 'Your PC doesn’t have enough free space to start a new game', it may be because you’ve changed the location of the My Documents folder. Move it back to the original location and try again.

If your My Documents folder must be shared, you can (sort of) get around it by disabling sharing, loading the game, and creating a few saves. You will then be able to overwrite those saves and use the quicksave even if your My Docs is shared. You just won't be able to create new saves.

cyb3rvampire Guest
    well im on a network with roaming profiles, all the documents are on my server, so should i play the game on the local machine?

You'll probably have to. I don't know of any other workaround for this.

Unhappy uhhh

where does the my documents file start at? i got this game for the xbox, then it mysteriously dissapeared so i got it for the pc and im about ready to give up...

C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents

For me, my username is "Administrator". Changing your username after the initial installation of windows doesn't change that path. Of course, this is assuming I'm remembering things correctly.

I can say I did have this error when I got this game back when it came out. I got on tech support and it took a couple of days to hash it out. Turns out that the game tries to use the system's API to detect the amount of hard drive space available to your "My Documents" folder. It does this by finding the the physical drive that contains "My Documents" then looking for information about that drive. If your "My Documents" folder is on a *nix box running Samba, the API will be unable to get information about the hard drive that stores "My Documents" because it only gets SMB filesystem information. At this point, it fails semi-gracefully and says you don't have enough space. It should say it can't figure out if you have enough space and give you the option to proceed anyway. But, it's better than just crashing.

If you are redirecting your "My Documents" folder to a remote filesystem as I was, it's an easy thing to redirect it to a local hard drive.

If you're using roaming profiles, you should still be able to redirect your "My Documents" folder to a local location and you may have to do this every time you login depending on your setup.

I have not tried this with a Windows file server storing my "My Documents" folder, so I don't know if the API can read hard drive information correctly that way. I know that it cannot using *nix and Samba.

But yes, you will need to redirect your "My Documents" to a local hard drive. Just right click on "My Documents", select "Properties", and change the target folder location. It doesn't matter where you put it as long as your direct it to a hard drive that is local to your computer, not a networked filesystem. Oh, and of course, the hard drive must have enough space!

(This is assuming you're using Windows XP. I have next to zero experience with Vista so I can't help you there.)