Thread: [SPOILER] A different question about Vorador

Question A different question about Vorador

OK, I've seen a lot of "How can Vorador be alive in BO2" threads but did someone wonder what happened to Vorador AFTER BO2?

Maybe we find out in Defiance my european friend.

DW

Hellsing, you couldnt be more right here. I am completely baffled by Vorador's appearance in Blood Omen 2.

Im sure Amy and Co. are still ripping their hair out over the inconsistencies that Blood Omen 2 has kicked up. They have done a good job
    Thus one can only hope that Vorador's role in Blood Omen 2 is thoroughly explained to us all in the next installment of this legendary epic. Im also dying to know more about the extended map of Nosgoth as seen in the Blood Omen 2 opening FMV.

I'll close with saying that, by upping it's relevance; Defiance has made Blood Omen 2 that sightly more appealing to me.

Slowly, slowly though. You can only tell so much in one 'episode'.

MaximumMayhem - you sure are right, but this thread is about what happened to Vorador AFTER Blood Omen 2, not how he came to be in the game.

Anybody any ideas?

Well... There is that frase where Kain says to Vorador something like: "Tonight the Sarafan Lord dies. Tomorow we settle this my friend." But this is before he gets struck by the SL. Although we know that Vorador is no longer with the clan in SR1.

However, SR1 happened before all of the changes to the timeline in SR2 (and Defiance), so maybe SR1 history is different now. Maybe Kain's council will include Vorador. I assume Kain will still raise Raziel, at least, but why do things have to happen exactly like before? Maybe with Raziel taken out of the Wheel of Fate in SR2, history can change without affecting him.

I am assuming that Kain's empire on the BO2 timeline is fairly identical to the empire we saw in SR1. After all, Nosgothic history only admits minimal changes - most things remain the same after a paradox has diverted the flow of time.

On the BO2 timeline, Vorador exists, for whatever reason. The Sarafan Lord didn't kill him, and it seems that the Sarafan would probably have crumbled quickly after the Lord's death. I expect he would have survived long enough to still be around when Kain resurrected Raziel and co.

I find it difficult to imagine Vorador and Kain co-existing for long after the BO2 events, unless Vorador kept well out of Kain's way. Once Kain learned how to raise vampires himself, he didn't need Vorador anymore. I suspect that Umah's fears would have been proved correct - Kain would turn on any vampire that opposed him. Vorador only tolerated Kain's ego and quest for domination while it suited the agenda of the Cabal. I expect that he may have been rather vocal in his disapproval of Kain's ambition, but there was little he could do to stop it.

I am unsure of what became of Vorador post BO2. I don't think Kain would have needed to eliminate Vorador permanently unless he tried to overthrow Kain. I can't see much reason why Vorador would bother with that though. I think it's most likely that he became a recluse, as he had in the past, waiting for Kain's misguided empire to self-destruct. Who knows?
    Legacy of Kain: Dark Chronicle | On Facebook | On Twitter
    Filled with dull tomes of trite accounts by a pompous historian.

You have made a valid point Ardeth, the Kain we see in the events depicted in Blood Omen 2 was young and foolish in his lust for power compared to the 'Elder Kain' we are most familiar with now.

What has baffled me though is Vorador's Cygnet Ring that now adorns Kain's left ear. From the moment I first gazed upon Elder Kain atop his throne of corrupted Pillars in the opening scenes of Soul Reaver, this strangely displayed relic and the symbolism it represented made me think that Kain saw Vorador as either someone worthy of his respect, or as a true friend. If he looks down on the old man so much, then why would he wear a gift from him so prominently?

Many people frowned upon Kain's seemingly cold portrayal in Blood Omen 2. They said his character didnt provoke any connection between him and the player. I didnt mind it so much personally, because I could relate to the anger burning in him, due to his utter manipulation in Blood Omen. Although the way he reacted to Vorador was totally off. Its like his persona had dropped a notch after Blood Omen. Much of the parts I liked of Kain in his debut title werent there. Whether or not there was some sort of foresight involved in this portrayal on the game developer's part is beyond me.

Our Polish friend's persistent imagination has inspired mine to start churning too. Even moreso, after including the Cygnet Ring in this equation. I must admit, that this Vorador scenario is one heck of a blank that I hope is adequately filled soon.

During Blood Omen 2, Kain seemed to be ignorant to the omniscience the manipulation of time can offer. If I remember correctly, he wasnt even aware of any deviant plan in effect to predetermine his fate until the time that Kain refers to as, "eons ago", in Moebius' Chronoplast chamber when he became fully aware of the scheme against him. To me, first stumbling upon the time streaming chamber looks like it very well may have been Kain's coming of age. Id say this is when he realised that Nosgoth was teetering on the edge of a full scale battle, and made the choices that brought him to where Defiance's ending leaves us at now.

What occured inbetween though? Whats the true relationship between Kain and Vorador?

To tell you the truth, I personally disregard much when it comes to Blood Omen 2. Kain's dialogue / exchanges with Vorador included. Its a little too 'BO 2 blurby' for me. By this I refer to one of the phrases on the back of the Blood Omen 2 box, which states:

"In pursuit of power, or just for the thrill of the kill, Kain's lust for power is inspiring."

In other words, something about it just doesnt quite sit well with what I feel the games are trying to achieve. So far, it looks to me like the inclusion of Vorador in Blood Omen 2 was an uneducated mistake.

Like I have once said before, be they mistakes of inconsistency or not, the team is doing a good job in covering the seemingly muddy footprints Blood Omen 2 appears to have made.

So far, it looks to me like the inclusion of Vorador in Blood Omen 2 was an uneducated mistake.
    But I don´t know.... I mean it was said that Amy read the story of BO2, to see if it would fit in the story concept that she had in mind. So I don´t think she would let this mistake happen.
    Also there is Timestreaming

Originally posted by MaximumMayhem
    What has baffled me though is Vorador's Cygnet Ring that now adorns Kain's left ear. From the moment I first gazed upon Elder Kain atop his throne of corrupted Pillars in the opening scenes of Soul Reaver, this strangely displayed relic and the symbolism it represented made me think that Kain saw Vorador as either someone worthy of his respect, or as a true friend. If he looks down on the old man so much, then why would he wear a gift from him so prominently?
    There is another possibility. If Kain has been forced to kill Vorador on this timeline to ascend to power, perhaps he wears the ring as a trophy of sorts.

It's difficult to judge Kain's long-term relationship with Vorador. In BO1, Vorador was vastly superior in age and power. Kain didn't have a particularly high opinion of him, but he respected that power. In BO2, I think a combination of familiarity and arrogance has made Kain forget that initial respect. He had 200 years of victory before his defeat by the Sarafan Lord, long enough to get complacent and overconfident in his own abilities. Also, depending on why and how Vorador appeared in BO2, he may owe his life to Kain - a debt which has given Kain the advantage in their relationship. I think Kain's BO2 persona is justified, but I can understand that he seems a little less complex.

Kain hasn't grown up in BO2. I think he's going through the vampire equivalent of his terrible 'teens. He thinks he knows it all, although he obviously doesn't. I agree, finding the Chronoplast post-BO2 probably made him mature somewhat, and look beyond his personal ambitions.

Shrykull, if it is indeed true that content has been verified and approved in an official sense, then this is most comforting news.

A trophy... I never thought of that. Wouldnt that be sad? Vampire against vampire.. especially a conflict between two of the most reverred characters of the series. A very sad thing indeed.

Terrible vampiric teens indeed!

I just noticed something interesting at www.timestreamer.co.uk -it was posted in the humour section for SR1:

Is Vorador Still Spying? - Remember the birds that were spying on you from SR2, well there were birds spying on you in SR1 as well, makes you wonder...

A trophy... I never thought of that. Wouldnt that be sad? Vampire against vampire.. especially a conflict between two of the most reverred characters of the series. A very sad thing indeed.
    Hmm...if Vorador contested Kain then I say he got what he deserved I am of course very baised toward Kain so my opinion my not sit to well with the Vorador-lovers.

I admit though, it would be more meaningful if some sort of bond between them inspired Kain to wear the "fallen" Vorador's ring.
    Fear is the Mindkiller...

Thumbs Up

I've also speculated in the past about Kain continuing to don the ring for the purpose of a trophy. This notion, of course, extends into two possible directions; One, Kain showing off how he survived longer than the "ancient" Vorador and (as Ardeth suggested), was even responsible for killing him at some point or another. Two, the trophy has nothing to do with Vorador as a vampire, but moreso with his ideals (vampires being "Dark Gods"), to which Kain did support.

Personally, I prefer to acknowledge the second notion a bit more than the first (given the hostile relationship between Kain and Vorador as beings).