View Poll Results: Should I wait for a patch?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah, there's a patch in the works

12 66.67%
  • No - better get it now and get the tweak tool

3 16.67%
  • No - you're system is OK and u don't have to have the tweak tool

1 5.56%
  • No - but wait a little bit, u never know.

2 11.11%

Thread: Should I wait for a patch?

Should I wait for a patch?

Should I wait for a patch?

Thanks for the posts, guys. I'll definitely try the tweaking thing if I'm having trouble (haven't gotten the game yet, still have the MX card so need to get another one) I know, u guys want to smack me for not having the FX or ATI yet.

But I did have question re: the tweak tool. The guy says to set the settings like the screenshot, but the screenshot that I saw was not of the settings tab (it was on view resources)

Anyway, should I wait , I mean, are they gonna patch it at all? I'm not trying to whine, but I'm playing Unreal2 and Max Payne at High settings and it runs smoothly, and u guys with a better rig than mine are having trouble. So, should I wait (dude, I love deus ex, I almost don't want to wait)

Anyway, what's your opinion?

My rig

1.6 P4
    512 RAM
    Will purchase the FX 5200 or the ATI 9600
    Directx 9.1b
    Live! 5.1
    MS 2000 Pro NOS
    About 10GB free on HDD

holy yes - wait!

at this stage the game is not worth your money. the next thing i try are the tweaks from this board and i hope that it`ll improve my fps.

aswide from the ridicilous high system demands (wheres the eye candy to justify this?) the font and interface look awful and feel like im playing a goddamn console game.

i truly hope they will fix this game soon (!) and completly.

[rant] ffs what have you done to what could be the next great thing since sliced bread? deus ex was truly revolutionary and imo one of the best shooter/rpg ever! but this? if you dont pull out some MAJOR fixes QUICKLY this game will utterly fail on the PC and dont tell me how great it is on the xbox... argh... they even left the autoaim in [/rant]

They definitely are patching it. According to the only semi-reliable info I've read, many of the fixes will be performance related.

It's up to you. I didn't wait, and I'm not regretting it.

I don't have any problems running the game and my machine barely passes the minimum requirements (except video card, I have 128MB of video memory). The only thing is that it kept crashing under the Win XP, so I had to switch the compatibility with 2000 on. But after that I only had 1 or 2 crashes (in about 10-12 hours of total play time). The graphics are prety good, IMO, though, it is hard to see the real results of pixel shading. Sure there are a few nice shining surfaces, but that hardly justifies pixel shader to be a requirement. The only thing that realy annoys me is the total disregard for the conservation of momentum in the collision model. It makes things fly all over the place from the slightest tap. But other then that the physics is very nice. I don't realy see how the patch would make the game a lot better, so I would get the game right after upgrading the video card.

Better?

Well, K2, thanks for the reply, but I'm a little confused. You mentioned they really couldn't make the game any better, but if, according to the many posts I read, people are experiencing slow frame rates where it appears to be unplayable, and it crashes, I would think the patch would help out a little bit.

Granted, I more of a stealth guy, so I would get into few gunfights which would slow my rig down obviously if u r taking on 20 guys. But it sounds like its slow when u r walking and simply turning a corner, loading a level, or watching a cutscene.

U don't think a patch would be able to fix this? I mean, I don't mind turning down the options and stuff, I usually do anyway (truth be told, sometimes, u can't even really tell the difference) but I just didn't want it locking up or crashing on me.

Tellurye

There are certainly problems, but the game is quite playable as it is. Yes, I have experienced frame rate drops, but they where very rare, and as I said, my machine is a bare minimum. And so far I only had a couple of crashes (plus I fell out of the level once...), but if you save every half an hour or so, it shouldn't cause too much inconvinience. And maybe the patch can fix these issues, or maybe it can't. Frankly, I do not see a way how the patch would improve the framerate signifficantly. It is a problem in the very base of the engine and the way that the levels are constructed (both visualy and in memory). The only way to signifficantly improve that would be to remake the game.

@ K^2

I have more of 50 crash since 3 days!
    My Card FX 5600 256 DDR last drivers
    sound blaster platinum last drivers
    Mother board MSI Last bios
    ram 640 133 Mhz

I don't talk more performance for the moment!
    But Ion need make something for stoping danishh crash
    You don't to be alone in this world & you not represent all
    gamer in the world!!!
    Hum you write 2 crash in 12 Hours O yea is good youpiee
    crash is rock 2 crash is already too much
    I can see pointer of my mouse during loading & reloading
    is normal yea all is okay for you
    I hope never buy one game build by you because if I
    understand you comment,the crash is one option or one bonus!?
    If you want I can sale you one game With crash engines
    Unreal T engines is one good engines & never or rarely crash
    with UT game serie in Higth texture & Polygones !
    My Program & other games works very well!!!!..

Take one longer nigth of sleep is better....

could you post your system specs k^s and what you have tuned on your system and your game settings.

my specs:

p4 1,7ghz
    512mb ddr 266
    g4ti4200 128mb ddr agp 8x (running in 4x cause my mainboard doesnt support agp 8x)
    onboard sound
    latest drivers + dx9b
    windows xp pro (no sp)

tweaked the system with tweak xp and tuneupxp.

and i run the game in 640x480 with everything set to low.
    when i use higher settings the mouse lags terrible.

Re: Should I wait for a patch?

Originally posted by tellurye
    Thanks for the posts, guys. I'll definitely try the tweaking thing if I'm having trouble (haven't gotten the game yet, still have the MX card so need to get another one) I know, u guys want to smack me for not having the FX or ATI yet.

But I did have question re: the tweak tool. The guy says to set the settings like the screenshot, but the screenshot that I saw was not of the settings tab (it was on view resources)

Anyway, should I wait , I mean, are they gonna patch it at all? I'm not trying to whine, but I'm playing Unreal2 and Max Payne at High settings and it runs smoothly, and u guys with a better rig than mine are having trouble. So, should I wait (dude, I love deus ex, I almost don't want to wait)

Anyway, what's your opinion?

My rig

1.6 P4
    512 RAM
    Will purchase the FX 5200 or the ATI 9600
    Directx 9.1b
    Live! 5.1
    MS 2000 Pro NOS
    About 10GB free on HDD
    If you can play Unreal 2 at max settings with an mx card...I'd eat my arse.

btw, the 9600 pAwns the 5200 anyday.

Wait for the patch before buying it. And definitely upgrade from the MX - but not to the 5200.

tellurye, go with the radeon 9600. definitely. and as for the game, it runs really well on my system(as in 30-60 fps, usually hovering around 40).

p4 2.0 ghz
    radeon 9700 pro (not occed)
    768 ram
    win xp
    sb audigy gamer

Originally posted by oOBruceFunyOo
    @ K^2

I have more of 50 crash since 3 days!
    My Card FX 5600 256 DDR last drivers
    sound blaster platinum last drivers
    Mother board MSI Last bios
    ram 640 133 Mhz

I don't talk more performance for the moment!
    But Ion need make something for stoping danishh crash
    You don't to be alone in this world & you not represent all
    gamer in the world!!!
    Hum you write 2 crash in 12 Hours O yea is good youpiee
    crash is rock 2 crash is already too much
    I can see pointer of my mouse during loading & reloading
    is normal yea all is okay for you
    I hope never buy one game build by you because if I
    understand you comment,the crash is one option or one bonus!?
    If you want I can sale you one game With crash engines
    Unreal T engines is one good engines & never or rarely crash
    with UT game serie in Higth texture & Polygones !
    My Program & other games works very well!!!!..

Take one longer nigth of sleep is better....
    I agree. The game shouldn't crash at all. But if it crashes once in several hours, I can live with that. However, if things are worse than that for you, you should contact the tech support, because if the game crashes that often, there is likely to be something wrong with the settings either in the game or on your PC.

Have you tried running the game in the Win 2000 compatibility mode, that is if you are using XP?

Yes, the Unreal engine was better, and it looks like Ion Storm are not very good at writing engines. There are issues with the graphics, the level sizes, and the physics of the game. I don't know about the rest of the things, but even I could write a better collisioin model.