Thread: ... some more tipps to run a game I BOUGHT??

... some more tipps to run a game I BOUGHT??

hansi Guest

... some more tipps to run a game I BOUGHT??

i bought the game, but i cant play... whats up with these guys? why did they go gold, with this BETA-product? so many people have massive problems running the game... pc´s with 2.8 Ghz and more, have performance problems... CANT BE REAL!!!

i tried ALL tipps & tricks (the tweaker, the win2000 mode, newest drivers..) but i only get poor framerates at 640x480....

all games i play on my pc (1800+, 512RAM, Ti4200) work... run... are playable! but deus ex IS NOT!

is there ANY patch? are there some more tweaking tipps?

greetings from an anrgy customer

HI all,

I have same problem!
    Game crash is very unstable some time work during 1 hour & some time crash return to desktop!
    I remenber Deus Ex 1 version 1.0 work very well in my old tnt2 ultra!
    Why this version crash?I have try to change some parameter
    but result is same! "Crash"
    I like this game is very original & good disegne,effect unfortunately to many bug in this version!!!
    Maybe reasons is mixing parameter game pc with Xbox !?

My configuration is:
    FX 5600 256 DDR
    P4 1.7
    WinXPsp1
    Ram 640 Mo 133Mhz

I hope only one patch out soon but I don't read nothing around

ciao

have you increased cashmemsize to 32megs (since you have 512ram)?

have you turned off all the apps (including explorer.exe)?

how mauch space do you have on the system volume? (have you installed DX on the system volume?), (how big is your sys volume, is it defragmented?)

i've got lower specs than yours ( http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...threadid=29508 ) and the game runs perfectly even with 2xAA.

if you are unsure about something, ask me about my system, cause i can't describe it the whole day long

hansi Guest
    ::: have you increased cashmemsize to
    ::: 32megs (since you have 512ram)?
    yes

::: how mauch space do you have on the system
    ::: volume? (have you installed DX on the system volume?),
    ::: (how big is your sys volume, is it defragmented?)
    its on the "game" HDD, and there are about 20GIG free...

::: i've got lower specs than yours (
    ::: http://forums.eidosgames.com/
    ::: showth...&threadid=29508 ) and the
    ::: game runs perfectly even with 2xAA.
    i know, and THIS is the strange thing!

::: have you turned off all the apps (including explorer.exe)?
    all apps, excluding explorer.exe

i wont splatter my system, for only playing this game. as far as i know, should a game be installed and then played. somtimes u have to patch, but u dont have to kill ALL other APPS!

lets see, what will happen....

thnx

yes you're right about splattering your system, but this is the exception we make for some great games, i'll do the same for Thief3, Doom3, HL2, etc.

you've mentioned that you have your games installed on "games" HDD. well, weather it is a separate partition or another hard drive, IT IS WRONG TO INSTALL GAMES ON THE VOLUME DIFFERENT FROM THE ONE WHERE YOUR WINDOWS IS INSTALLED (with pagefile.sys, tmp dirs, etc..). this is because when you run a game, it doesn't mean that this game doesn't need files from WINDOWS directory or TMP, and also it may use swap file (pagefile.sys), also the system itself may "do" smthng while you play, specially when your progs and explorer.exe are running. SO! the system has to read files from two different volumes at the same time while you are playing, and this DECREASES PERFORMANCE DRAMATICALLY!

if nothing helps, try reinstalling the game to c:\program files\..

Originally posted by man
    yes you're right about splattering your system, but this is the exception we make for some great games, i'll do the same for Thief3, Doom3, HL2, etc.
    Sure - but not for a xboxed DX2 !!!

Originally posted by man you've mentioned that you have your games installed on "games" HDD. well, weather it is a separate partition or another hard drive, IT IS WRONG TO INSTALL GAMES ON THE VOLUME DIFFERENT FROM THE ONE WHERE YOUR WINDOWS IS INSTALLED
    Well I don't know you, so you're joking maybe - plz tell me that you are joking

Let me tell you: NO GAME VISITS MY c:\ drive. AND THAT'S THE WAY ITS GONNA BE - as long as it is a Win-whatever-OS. Hello? It's 2003

Originally posted by man
    you've mentioned that you have your games installed on "games" HDD. well, weather it is a separate partition or another hard drive, IT IS WRONG TO INSTALL GAMES ON THE VOLUME DIFFERENT FROM THE ONE WHERE YOUR WINDOWS IS INSTALLED (with pagefile.sys, tmp dirs, etc..). this is because when you run a game, it doesn't mean that this game doesn't need files from WINDOWS directory or TMP, and also it may use swap file (pagefile.sys), also the system itself may "do" smthng while you play, specially when your progs and explorer.exe are running. SO! the system has to read files from two different volumes at the same time while you are playing, and this DECREASES PERFORMANCE DRAMATICALLY!

That is quite incorrect. It matters not where anything is installed. Not a single OS cares where any program is installed. It is best to keep all games on a seperate partition.

Grey Mouser Guest
    Honestly, I don't know what the heck you are talking about. I have the game installed to D:\DX:IW. I created the folder on the drive first, then told the installer to put it there. Why does that not work for you, Razzr_TonyDa?

Originally posted by Razzr_TonyDa
    Sure - but not for a xboxed DX2 !!!

Well I don't know you, so you're joking maybe - plz tell me that you are joking

Let me tell you: NO GAME VISITS MY c:\ drive. AND THAT'S THE WAY ITS GONNA BE - as long as it is a Win-whatever-OS. Hello? It's 2003
    i won't even bother myself trying to explain you something since you seem to know nothing about a pc and its os. you may keep your stupid principles like ''NO GAME VISITS MY c:\ drive.'' , but i've got a IW running smoothly and pleasently on GF3 and you sit there with ruins of expencive hardwre with 5fps in the introduction movie

"OH YEY! I WILL STORE MY GAMES IN THE RECYCLER BIN I KNOW THIS IS THE BEST PLACE!! AND THAT'S THE WAY ITS GONNA BE"

Originally posted by man
    i won't even bother myself trying to explain you something since you seem to know nothing about a pc and its os. you may keep your stupid principles like ''NO GAME VISITS MY c:\ drive.'' , but i've got a IW running smoothly and pleasently on GF3 and you sit there with ruins of expencive hardwre with 5fps in the introduction movie

"OH YEY! I WILL STORE MY GAMES IN THE RECYCLER BIN I KNOW THIS IS THE BEST PLACE!! AND THAT'S THE WAY ITS GONNA BE"
    Man, it doesn't matter where you install a game, whether it's on another partiton or on a whole seperate drive. The game will not perform any differently. Folks try to keep games on a different partition than the OS to keep down clutter, and to easily remove old game files/folders.

I have been a pc tech and a hardcore gamer for 8 years, and I know this to be true. I would never install any games to C:
    Coolermaster ATC-210-VX1 case w/Antec TruePower 430W PSU | Asus P4C800-E BIOS 1010 w/ 1Gb Kingston HyperX PC3200 | P4 3.0c @ 3.3ghz 220 fsb w/ Swiftech MCX4000 HS and ThermalTake Smart Fan II | 2-Western Digital Raptors in Raid 0 | e-Geforce FX 5900U 45.33 DX9.0B w/ Viewsonic G810-2 | Creative SB Audigy 2 Platinum w/ CL inspire 6.1 6600 speakers | XP Professional with SP1

Grey Mouser Guest
    Yeah, but what I don't get is why some folks can't install to a different directory. I can...so that makes me believe that people who cannot are...ummm...not gifted with the ability to correctly use a PC.

Originally posted by BadMojo
    Man, it doesn't matter where you install a game, whether it's on another partiton or on a whole seperate drive. The game will not perform any differently. Folks try to keep games on a different partition than the OS to keep down clutter, and to easily remove old game files/folders.

I have been a pc tech and a hardcore gamer for 8 years, and I know this to be true. I would never install any games to C:
    does a pc tech know something about the IDE interface specifications and organisation, and about a hard drive reading-head movement. well you should try this: copy xMB file from A drive to B drive, asume it took yMIN to copy, now copy xMB file from drive A to drive B and C at one time, you'll notice that it took 10*yMIN... if you still don't get idea of installing the game to one drive with the system then try reading some books.

belive me, when i was a pc beginner as you are, i even put the pagefile.sys to a different drive, to avoid fragmentation on sys. drive, and ofcourse my games were installed on a separate drive. BUT IT IS NOSENCE!!! your separate volumes must contain static data like movies, music, vcds. pics, or whatever, and non of this should be kept on the sys. drive. But all the dynamic data that that is used during some application activities must be kept on system drive.

this does not apply to monsters with 1GB ram / 3gHz cpu.

i bet you with your 3ghz cpu / GFX5900 could not get 8100 3dmarks2k1 on athlonXP1700+/GF3ti200/256RAM ever!!!

Originally posted by man
    does a pc tech know something about the IDE interface specifications and organisation, and about a hard drive reading-head movement. well you should try this: copy xMB file from A drive to B drive, asume it took yMIN to copy, now copy xMB file from drive A to drive B and C at one time, you'll notice that it took 10*yMIN... if you still don't get idea of installing the game to one drive with the system then try reading some books.

belive me, when i was a pc beginner as you are, i even put the pagefile.sys to a different drive, to avoid fragmentation on sys. drive, and ofcourse my games were installed on a separate drive. BUT IT IS NOSENCE!!! your separate volumes must contain static data like movies, music, vcds. pics, or whatever, and non of this should be kept on the sys. drive. But all the dynamic data that that is used during some application activities must be kept on system drive.

this does not apply to monsters with 1GB ram / 3gHz cpu.

i bet you with your 3ghz cpu / GFX5900 could not get 8100 3dmarks2k1 on athlonXP1700+/GF3ti200/256RAM ever!!!
    Whatever, dude. You do it as you see fit.

Grey Mouser: Most programs default to C:\Program Files\... I have found that most new (and some old) PC users don't realize that they can change the path.
    Coolermaster ATC-210-VX1 case w/Antec TruePower 430W PSU | Asus P4C800-E BIOS 1010 w/ 1Gb Kingston HyperX PC3200 | P4 3.0c @ 3.3ghz 220 fsb w/ Swiftech MCX4000 HS and ThermalTake Smart Fan II | 2-Western Digital Raptors in Raid 0 | e-Geforce FX 5900U 45.33 DX9.0B w/ Viewsonic G810-2 | Creative SB Audigy 2 Platinum w/ CL inspire 6.1 6600 speakers | XP Professional with SP1

Originally posted by Grey Mouser
    Yeah, but what I don't get is why some folks can't install to a different directory. I can...so that makes me believe that people who cannot are...ummm...not gifted with the ability to correctly use a PC.
    This is probably because when you choose "Typical" setup it doesn't even ask you which directory you wish to install to. "Custom" on most installers I've dealt with just means selecting which options you wish to install -- the directory can usually be chosen either way. I figured it out pretty easily, though...

Yeah I had the same "problem" with installing to a different dir.

I installed it, and during the filecopy I realised I never specified a directory! silly me, had to cancel and start the install via "costom install"

And that whole thing about the IDE , it doesn't matter where you install it.
    It would if you were copying a load of files, but you aren't, you're playing a G-A-M-E.
    The game isn't maxing out your HD transfer during gameplay, only during loading 'n . (Unless you got a REALLY crappy system). During runtime, the performance loss would be negligable.

And I can't get it to run fluently either. It's just a major bug in the game. The dev. team is promising a patch (or so I heard)
    Still sucks if you payed $50 for your game...

And stop putting people down. Everyone who can run the game (by pure chance, or after serious tweaking) is *****ing people about their poor PC config.

It isn't the PC's fault, it's the game that is faulty, some bug is preventing it from running well on most PC's...

Some people with low end PC's can run it, well lucky you!
    If the game wasn't broken like this, everyone could play it, some even better than you! It's magic!

ok, so can we just all shut up and pray for a patch?

I feel like I have to apologize to man . I was in a bad mood, when I wrote my posting - but I still won't bother myself why - after 35 years of pc/console-hw-experience - I should discuss something with people who obviously seem to know much more then the rest of us... - only so much: calm down, man

Love & Peace

Grey Mouser Guest
    Originally posted by Razzr_TonyDa
    I feel like I have to apologize to man. I was in a bad mood, when I wrote my posting - but I still won't bother myself why - after 35 years of pc/console-hw-experience - I should discuss something with people who obviously seem to know much more then the rest of us... - only so much: calm down, man

Love & Peace
    Yeah, that's cool and all. But still does not explain to me why you cannot install to a different directory, as I so easily can. I am not using any magical powers, it is straightforward. Tell me what you are doing, where the problem occurs, and I'll look at it.

Like I said...It works for me. I am guessing your 35 years of experience left something out.

silent_bob Guest
    Originally posted by man

My god, is this for real? I almost pissed myself with laughter upon reading this. I have for years used a slaved HD as a game only hard drive and have never once had any performance issue as a result of it. This is the most cracked out statement I have ever heard. Do you talk out of your a$$ for fun?

Re: ... some more tipps to run a game I BOUGHT??

Originally posted by hansi
    i bought the game, but i cant play... whats up with these guys? why did they go gold, with this BETA-product? so many people have massive problems running the game... pc´s with 2.8 Ghz and more, have performance problems... CANT BE REAL!!!

i tried ALL tipps & tricks (the tweaker, the win2000 mode, newest drivers..) but i only get poor framerates at 640x480....

all games i play on my pc (1800+, 512RAM, Ti4200) work... run... are playable! but deus ex IS NOT!

is there ANY patch? are there some more tweaking tipps?

greetings from an anrgy customer
    funny you should say that because err, this game does run on the beta version of the Unreal Warfare engine (cheaper license). I mean think about it, it looks more cack than UT2003 but runs much crapper...doesn't make sense does it?

tee hee... i love arguments like this. Actually your all pretty correct in what you say.

Running programs fom a different drive which is on the same IDE channel is slower than running programs of the same driver. As you can only read or write to one drive on the same channel at any given moment. So if your transferring several gig of data it really would take a long time.

If you transfer data from one drive to another but they are both on different IDE channels then you can read and write to both at the same time. This is why CD/DVD writers are usualy put on a separate IDE channel than the main drive so you reduce the chance of buffer under runs (untill BURN proof drives came out)

In any case, when playing Deus Ex 2 you'll never really see any performance problems as you'll probably never have to read data while writing it unless you have very little RAM and windows ends up using the swap file.

All in all, not worth worrying about unless you find the game stuttering every few seconds while it accesses the hard drive. In that scenario buy some more ram!