Thread: So disappointed.

So disappointed.

So disappointed.

I have waited axiously for 3 years for the sequel to my personal favorite FPS of all time.

And unfortunately due to a very poor console port the game is unplayable on my highend PC.

I can play 90% of games both DirectX8 and DirectX9 games in 1152x768 with 4 times antialiasing.

However i cannot play Deus Ex 2 on 640x480 with no AA.

I have turned off everything including Bloom but to no avail.

I wanted to play this game so badly i even reinstalled my OS just to be sure.. (however i knew this not to be the case)

I get 6000+ points on 3dmark2003 and 13000+ points on 3dmark2001.

My system is as follows:

Athlon XP 3200+
    2 x 256mb 3500 DDR (Dual Channel)
    Nforce 2 Chipset Motherboard DDR400
    WinXP SP1a (and all other updates)
    256mb Geforce FX 5600 Ultra (53.03)
    2 x SATA RAID HDD

The only other game that i have seen this occur on my PC is with Halo. (Another poor XBOX to PC port)

Coincidence.. i think not.

All i have to say is i hope that a patch is available soon to correct this monstrosity.

However seeing Halo try and fail with patches i fear that its not possible.

I feel somewhat betrayed. Though i will not lose hope.

I have a 64 meg GeForce piece of trash, around 700 megs of RAM, and a 1 ghz processor. I run Halo just fine. There's some chop when a great number of enemies show up...but not much that's noticable. The DXIW demo runs ok on a friend's system with almost identical system specs and very little or no options on, at 640 x 480...I can only boggle as to why everyone with systems so much better than mine insist that the game is unplayable...much less Halo. (note that I don't have the full version of DXIW yet)

Sage

Its just the 'mouse_lag' syntax.
    set it to zero, you'll soon see a HUGE difference.

Right click your 'default.ini' file and untick 'read-only' then edit it to:

MouseLagThreshold=75

Change the 75 to a 0.

Good luck!

TwoBells

ps: I also set the HUD much further to the edge of the screen by using:

FOV__d=61

Change the 61 to a 68, and this will effectively move the HUD to the outer edges of your screen

ref: http://66.193.119.177/index.php?showtopic=205527

Yeah, I just got the game and started playing. I have a GF3, so I knew it wouldn't run great. But I ran the original decently on my V3, and I used to play Quake 1 at 320x240x10 fps. From my experience of playing 3d games for years and my experience as a 3D programmer, I knew immediately that something was up with the mouse that was more than just my computer being laggy. After reading this, it makes sense.

thanks for your input guys..

however i have already done all the user.ini and default.ini mods with no avail..

id like to believe there is one magic setting that will resolve this problem.. though somehow i doubt it.

its a hardware problem not a software problem, my versions of Halo and Deus Ex2 run beautifully, and I have a lower end graphics card then you, so there is SOMETHING wrong with your system, not the games.

reptile_spot Guest

Mouse? PS? Game?

I have the game running Great all except when I move the mouse.
    as soon as I move my mouse it looks like it is skipping frames. but my framerate is still the same. Im sure its not my harware and system setting. With bare processes running it still acts the same.

Here is my Harware specs on the machine in trying to run it on the most.

Win XP SP1a
    AMD 64 FX-51
    Gigabyte GA-K8NNXP-940
    2x512 Kingston (I think)
    256MB Nvidia 5900 Ultra (PNY)
    SB Audigy 2 (not the gamer card)
    2 SATA HDs 2x 80GB
    1 IDE HDs 1x120GB

I think there is something wrong with the hardware itself because when I open the game My power supply starts making zapping sounds mostly when I move the mouse wheel. (odd)
    I know its not the mouse its 3days old its a Microsoft wireless desktop 2.

II built this computer for fun and games.
    I ordered a new PS and a 5950 Gfx card I hope that will help.
    (Ill infrom everyone on how it runs after the new gfx card)

other notes I run the game at 1024/768

I look forword to any help. I like the game too much to blame it I think the game runs best at 1600/1200 at 30-50fps but it still looks funny when i move. (Maybe its XP?)(jk)

@Neravine
    What talk about you don't have eyes for see 1000 post from
    problem with card!
    Because work in your computer I am happy for you
    do you want say you are better of all other gamer?
    Do you know something in Program 3D?
    Maybe one braggart!!!!
    My old Deus EX 1 work perfectly!
    Hardware is hardware!!!it is game need to adapt in existing hardware!
    for soft 3D is together!

Re: Mouse? PS? Game?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by reptile_spot
    [B]I have the game running Great all except when I move the mouse.
    as soon as I move my mouse it looks like it is skipping frames. but my framerate is still the same. Im sure its not my harware and system setting. With bare processes running it still acts the same.

your post does not mention whether you tried the mouse_lag = 0 fix.

DId you? Because it sounds exactly like that's your problem.

TwoBells

reptile_spot Guest
    I wasnt trying to brag. I had it made to try to keep up with a friend and his computer plus I want to be ready for UT04l.
    It was a click and order machine. to tell you the truth I still like my Athlon 2800+ i know it better. I cant do anything to this new one without Voiding it.
    now to find out why the resoloution keeps resetting to to very low. ill read if anyone else has that prob.

Nevarine, are you serious about it being a hardware problem and not software? I have to disagree based on the thousands of threads from people having problems with all types of setups. From super fast to super slow, many people are having the same problem.

Shanar_D Guest
    Originally posted by Neravine
    its a hardware problem not a software problem, my versions of Halo and Deus Ex2 run beautifully, and I have a lower end graphics card then you, so there is SOMETHING wrong with your system, not the games.
    Could you post your system config and maybe your Default and User.ini files? A Dxdiag would help too..

Just so if you 'are' able to play just fine we can see what the hell is different? Most of us can play any other game with no lag but this one kills us, there is something wrong with that.

Hell assuming the devs even bother reading this, it would be good insight for them too.

its a hardware problem not a software problem
    NOT! lol... get a grip

its a hardware problem not a software problem, my versions of Halo ... run beautifully
    Halo PC is widely recognised as being an extremely bad X-Box port. Either you're just used to bad looking games that run slowly, or you're trolling.

However, lets pretend you know what you're talking about. Post your machine specs and game settings. Lets see what wonder machine runs this game sooo well

[edit]
    A screenshot would also be worthwhile so you can show everyone how nice it looks too.

I would like to see the FPS on the screenshot, just for clarification.

This is my first post, but be assured I'm not new to gaming at all.

From the 50 posts I have read in the past 20 minuutes about slow performance, I have made the following conclusions:

1. Most people complaining either have a really crappy video card (i.e. FX5200/ati9000 or lower) or a decent video card but are trying to run at insane detail levels.

2. Most people that are complaining can't understand why the game doesn't run exactly like DX1 did.

and finally,
    3. All the people complaining say they have tried every single thing when they clearly haven't.

In regards to this thread, running DX2 with 4xAA is the worst possible idea you could have ever had. Not only does that require smoothing on every humongously polygon'd model, but also every real-time shadow, every box, every eyeball, etc etc etc. Your first performance increase is gonna come when you try at default settings and slowly work your way up.

Of course the game is running kind of slow. But in 3 years when you have a GeForce 49305839458FX^3 and you can runn the game with every option set to the highest in 1600x1200 with the real time shadows and all, you won't be complaining.

For those with MX cards, the Geforce FX5200 is under $100 and it has PS on it.

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz
    For those with MX cards, the Geforce FX5200 is under $100 and it has PS on it.
    While that's strictly speaking true, it isn't fast enough to run the game at a reasonable framerate. Lets not fool anyone here - moving from one generations cheap ass card to another isn't necessarily the best idea. $170 will get a decent mid-range card that will last longer than any 5200. Or they could buy an X-Box.

I agree that the card could be ONE of the problems, but this game should run fine on any current video card (with the cpus that I have been seeing) at 640x480 with all settings off or at lowest detail. Isn't the recommended system spec for video 128 (the required is 64 if i remember correctly). Basically, if a system meets the recommended specs (not required, but recommended), shouldn't it run at least at the lowest detail settings?
    But you are right, a new video card would make a world of difference!

Originally posted by thegrommit
    While that's strictly speaking true, it isn't fast enough to run the game at a reasonable framerate. Lets not fool anyone here - moving from one generations cheap ass card to another isn't necessarily the best idea. $170 will get a decent mid-range card that will last longer than any 5200. Or they could buy an X-Box.
    Sorry wasn't my intention to mean that. But a GF FX 5200 is only a LITTLE slower than a 4200. You should be able to get a respectable framrate at 640x480x32 with pretty much everything turned off.

I think the default settings are the same as on the XBox, any GF4ti series card should be able to run at the defaults just fine, only slowing down in a few places. Like on the XBox.

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz
    I think the default settings are the same as on the XBox, any GF4ti series card should be able to run at the defaults just fine, only slowing down in a few places. Like on the XBox.
    And it does. (GF4 Ti4200 128MB)