Thread: DX2 + Radeon = bleh?

DX2 + Radeon = bleh?

moggis Guest

DX2 + Radeon = bleh?

hello..
    i got a Radeon 9800 pro 256 mb ddr ram, Athlon 3000xp, A7N8X asus motherboard and 768 ddr ram.
    And the game laggs/hacks very much weather i am in 640x 480 or in 1024x768. The diffrence is slight if any at all between these resolutions. even putting down effects dont have an big impact.

DX2 seems to be incomplete as a product or a "halo", very bad for PC's but good for consoles, the whole game screams console. With examples as:
    1 ammo type, shortened the story from original of 45 hours to 15 hours...
    and now the performance issues on stable PC's with more then enough performance power than what the game should reqiure having severe problems.

Im talking about the real game here not the demo, and btw the demo worked fine for me... was laggy as hell when i didnt have x6 multisampling (AA), but when i initiated the x6 it worked very good with some minor GFX glitches, but even that doesnt work now on the real version... My guess is that Eidos did it again, rushed out a product...

I'm in the same boat as you

I have a
    Asus A7n8x deluxe mobo rev2.0
    1 gig Corsair DDR 3200
    AMD XP 3200/400 mhz fsb
    RAdeon ati 9800pro 128

I can run the game in 800x600 with no problems but as soon as I turn shading on the game pixilates.

ANd what pisses me of the most is the fact that DX2 is a ** console game thats ported to the PC. This is complete BS, Like you said the game was supposed to be about 40 hours long yet I has been shortened and dummed down. Ion Storm has sold us out by putting this crap out.

In the end DX2 is a dummbed down console based FPS with RPG elements thrown in. DX2 has completly destroyed what DX1 created. And lets not forget the fact that even our high end PC can bearly run this crap. I mean damn they could have at least coded the game properly!!!

I litterally have teh exact same thing as you. i run mine at 1280x1024, everything on full, with ..what the hells that called the thing that goes up to 6x i have mine at 2x with bloom off, the game runs within acceptable frame rates and looks fantastic, bloom causes artifacting.

so i dont know whats wrong with your systems mine runs good.

Originally posted by Delta0311
    I'm in the same boat as you

I have a
    Asus A7n8x deluxe mobo rev2.0
    1 gig Corsair DDR 3200
    AMD XP 3200/400 mhz fsb
    RAdeon ati 9800pro 128

I can run the game in 800x600 with no problems but as soon as I turn shading on the game pixilates.

ANd what pisses me of the most is the fact that DX2 is a f* console game thats ported to the PC. This is complete BS, Like you said the game was supposed to be about 40 hours long yet I has been shortened and dummed down. Ion Storm has sold us out by putting this crap out.

In the end DX2 is a dummbed down console based FPS with RPG elements thrown in. DX2 has completly destroyed what DX1 created. And lets not forget the fact that even our high end PC can bearly run this crap. I mean damn they could have at least coded the game properly!!!

moggis Guest
    do u got pentium or Athlon?
    or radeon?

Originally posted by moggis
    do u got pentium or Athlon?
    or radeon?
    Can't really lump Radeon in the same category as Athlon or Pentium.
    "True friends stab you in the front."--Oscar Wilde

DivineRight Guest
    Just so you guys know it's not a running thing with Radeon/AMD.

I have an AMD Athlon 2000+ with a Radeon 9800 XT 256 and the game runs like silk at 1024*768. Only thing is I can't use the multisampling or FSAA/AF as it causes bad pixelation.

Its a current known issue with the catalyst 3.9 drivers on the AA issue causing small black pixels to appear in some textures. Hopefully can be resolved in new drivers from Ati

I'd suggest turning bloom off and turning multisampling up to 6.

With these changes, and all other settings maxed out, at 1024x768x32 with 4XAA and 8XAF it ran very playable (would have definately been at least 20FPS, possibly 25+) on my brothers computer, which is not anywhere near the level of yours.

His comp specs:

Athlon XP 2000+
    Asus A7N266 (original nforce)
    768mb DDR266 ram
    Asus 9600XT
    Windows XP home

I was surprised at how well it ran, after hearing all the complaints about bad performance. After some people mentioned turning bloom off and multisampling up, I tried this and it went from absolute jerkiness to the aforementioned performance level.

This is despite the fact that the ASUS 9600XT uses slower memory (i think 3.3ns) compared to the faster gigacube versions (i think 2.8 and 2.5 ns, respectively).

Based on how it runs on his computer, i'm expecting a certain 30+ FPS on mine:

Athlon XP 2500+
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
    1024mb kingston DDR333 ram
    Gigacube 9600XT eXtreme
    WinXP home.

Try making these adjustments if you havent already, it may make a big difference.