Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Thread: Settings and Controls

Settings and Controls

Settings and Controls

Finished my download, fired it up. Looks about how I expected it. But I can't figure out what combination of keys to make Cloud run instead of just mosey about.

What am I missing? Playing with a keyboard btw. No controller/joystick.

Thanks.

press the cancel button to make cloud run

to run you hold C and the direction key you want to go. also if you want to escape from battle you hold the page up and page down buttons.

I was just wondering the same thing. I'm using a regular USB game controller. "OK", "Cancel", and "Menu" all work fine. Then you have "Switch", "Page Up", "Page Down", "Target", "Assist", and "Camera" under Joystick in the Config window. Anyone know which one of these is used for running?

Cancel is used for running

Settings and Controls

Does anyone know how to be able to use an Xbox 360 controller with the new FF7 pc release? finaly got it downloaded and loaded up ... launcher settings has a joystic option that shows what buttons do what, although cant alter them and in game i can alter the keyboard keybindings but controller just gets no responce... any ideas on how to actuly use a joystic in this game?

Originally Posted by UnFrSaKn
    I was just wondering the same thing. I'm using a regular USB game controller. "OK", "Cancel", and "Menu" all work fine. Then you have "Switch", "Page Up", "Page Down", "Target", "Assist", and "Camera" under Joystick in the Config window. Anyone know which one of these is used for running?
    the page up/down is referring to the L and R buttons. don't know about the target or assist.

There is annother fix. Go to your game controler properties and set your xbox controller as your perfered device for older games. This solved the problem for me instantly.

Settings and Controls

I decided to make a helpful guide for anyone trying to set up an Xbox 360 Controller. These
    settings match the original Playstation Controller settings as closely as I could manage.

For some reason the game doesn't accept input from the directional pad or analog triggers.
    (The Up, Left, Right, Down inputs are mapped to the analog stick.)

If you want to restore function to the triggers and Dpad you will need a key mapping program
    like Xpadder, JoyToKey, or Pinnacle Game Profiler.

Map the keyboard Up, Down, Left, and Right keys to the Dpad. Map the "End" key to the Right Trigger (This is the "Target" key). Map the "Home" key to Left Trigger (This is the "Camera" Key)

OK - B Button / BUTTON 2

Cancel - A Button / BUTTON 1

Menu - Y Button / BUTTON 4

Start - Start Button / BUTTON 8

Switch - X Button / BUTTON 3

Page up - Left Bumper / BUTTON 5

Page down - Right Bumper / BUTTON 6

Target - Right Analog Stick Button / BUTTON 10

Assist - Back Button / BUTTON 7

Camera - Left Analog Stick Button / BUTTON 9

I hope this is helpful. Maybe Square Enix would be nice enough to patch in better gamepad
    support? Or should I wait another 15 years for them to work out all the bugs?

Another thing that bothers me about this release is the music. The PC version and Playstation
    version sound a bit different. If it bothers you, you can actually find the original
    soundtrack on some old FFVII modding sites. With some persistent googling you may be able to
    track down what you want. You'll need the original files converted into .ogg format, then
    rename them to match the PC version file names in the music_ogg folder in the installation
    directory. Just replace all the files in the music_ogg folder with the appropriate PSX version
    files, properly renamed and it should work! I hope some of these tips point everyone in the
    right direction. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can make a custom music tutorial
    thread?

Edit: I made a few corrections to the list of controls.

Thanks for that. I was playing with the keyboard earlier, but playing with the controller sounds nice. I remember playing it on the PS2, so the controiller might be easier to deal with.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Dustin
    I decided to make a helpful guide for anyone trying to set up an Xbox 360 Controller. These
    settings match the original Playstation Controller settings as closely as I could manage.

For some reason the game doesn't accept input from the directional pad or analog triggers.

If you want to restore function to the triggers and Dpad you will need a key mapping program
    like Xpadder, JoyToKey, or Pinnacle Game Profiler. Map the keyboard Up, Down, Left, and Right
    keys to the Dpad. Map the "End" key to the Left Trigger (This is the "Target" key). (the right
    trigger was never used for anything in PSX version!)

OK - B Button / BUTTON 2

Cancel - X Button / BUTTON 1

Target - Left Analog Stick Button / BUTTON 9

Camera - Right Analog Stick Button / BUTTON 10

I hope this is helpful. Maybe Square Enix would be nice enough to patch in better gamepad

Another thing that bothers me about this release is the music. The PC version and Playstation
    version sound a bit different. If it bothers you, you can actually find the original
    soundtrack on some old FFVII modding sites. With some persistent googling you may be able to
    track down what you want. You'll need the original files converted into .ogg format, then
    rename them to match the PC version file names in the music_ogg folder in the installation
    directory. Just replace all the files in the music_ogg folder with the appropriate PSX version
    files, properly renamed and it should work! I hope some of these tips point everyone in the
    right direction. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can make a custom music tutorial
    thread?

Hopefully we will be able to get an ORCHESTRAL mod...would be exceptional.

Great tip, thank you.

Only thing I would suggest is changing 'target' from the left analog stick to the 'back' button, since that is most close to where the 'select' button was on PSX controllers, which had the same function.

Originally Posted by Dustin

like Xpadder, JoyToKey, or Pinnacle Game Profiler. Map the keyboard Up, Down, Left, and Right
    keys to the Dpad. Map the "End" key to the Left Trigger (This is the "Target" key). (the right
    trigger was never used for anything in PSX version!)

OK - B Button / BUTTON 2

Cancel - X Button / BUTTON 1

Target - Left Analog Stick Button / BUTTON 9

Camera - Right Analog Stick Button / BUTTON 10

thread?

I appreciate the setup support, but do you have any idea as to why I'm able to configure my gamepad in the settings outside of the game, but I don't have the option to switch to the gamepad in-game? I only have the option to tweak keyboard settings in-game.

Probably will sound really dumb, but what are the controls to use Final Fantasy 7? I look at what is said to be the default, but it still doesn't work at the page to start a new game. I thought it had to do with NumLock and have been messing around with that and looking online. I tried what they said, but it still doesn't seem to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I used this combo with my Logitech PS2/3 gamepad and it works great!

Use a Playstation button layout for reference.

Many thanks to the people at Caves of Narshe for the help.

www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff7/buttons.php

<table>
    <tbody>
    <tr>
    <td class="toprow tabletoptext">Function Name</td>
    <td class="toprow tabletoptext">Default PS1 Mapping</td>
    <td class="toprow tabletoptext">Default PC Mapping Logitech button # </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">OK</td>
    <td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">?</td>
    <td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">Numpad Enter 3</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">CANCEL</td>
    <td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">×</td>
    <td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">Numpad 0/Insert 2</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">SWITCH</td>
    <td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">Numpad ./Del 1</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">MENU</td>
    <td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">?</td>
    <td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">Numpad + 4</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">PAGEUP</td>
    <td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">L1</td>
    <td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">Numpad 9/PageUp 5</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">PAGEDOWN</td>
    <td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">R1</td>
    <td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">Numpad 3/PageDown 6</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">CAMERA</td>
    <td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">L2</td>
    <td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">Numpad 7/Home 7</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">TARGET</td>
    <td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">R2</td>
    <td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">Numpad 1/End 8</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">ASSIST</td>
    <td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">SELECT</td>
    <td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">Numpad 5 9</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">START</td>
    <td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">Numpad - 10</td>
    </tr>
    </tbody>
    </table>

I don't think there is any way to change gamepad controls in game. You have to set up your gamepad in the launcher.

<table>
    <tbody>
    <tr>
    <td class="toprow tabletoptext">

Function Name

</td>

Default PS1 Mapping

</td>

Default PC Mapping

</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">OK</td>
    <td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">Numpad Enter</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">CANCEL</td>
    <td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">×</td>
    <td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">Numpad 0/Insert</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">SWITCH</td>
    <td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">Numpad ./Del</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">MENU</td>
    <td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">?</td>
    <td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">Numpad +</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">PAGEUP</td>
    <td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">L1</td>
    <td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">Numpad 9/PageUp</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">PAGEDOWN</td>
    <td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">R1</td>
    <td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">Numpad 3/PageDown</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">CAMERA</td>
    <td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">L2</td>
    <td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">Numpad 7/Home</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">TARGET</td>
    <td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">R2</td>
    <td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">Numpad 1/End</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">ASSIST</td>
    <td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">SELECT</td>
    <td class="bottomrow tablemaintext">Numpad 5</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td class="bottomrow2 tablemaintext">Numpad -</td>
    </tr>
    </tbody>
    </table>

www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff7/buttons.php

Thanks for the tip. Will have to dig my controller receiver out for this haha.

I'm using an xbox controller and had no problems configuring it.

Originally Posted by Miox33

I'm using an xbox controller and had no problems configuring it.

I didn't have any problems configuring it outside of the game either, but the game won't recognize that I'm using it when I hit Play Game. Everything is mapped properly, the controller is confirmed as working, but the game doesn't respond to any inputs outside of those provided by the keyboard.

I had to same problem when I pulled out my old Logitech Precision Gamepad during a first boot of the game. Load it up past the first cinematic and the controller SHOULD (at least it did for me) start working. If it doesn't, just try CTRL+Q and exit the game, then try again.

Hey guys, after some disappointment finding out that D-Pads and Analogue Triggers apparently just don't exist to Square-Enix in their re-release of FF7 I took it upon myself to make a far better and more authentic and accurate layout for 360 controllers.

Initially I could not get the D-Pad to work at all, even with Xpadder, but then I found a work-around by editing the controller profile in a text editor and make the D-Pad read just like the Left Analogue Stick and I have now tested and can happily report this is working! I have also modified the Triggers (L2 / R2) as they were also unrecognised and have set them as the original PS1 Buttons.

To make the controls exactly like the PS1 version, just set your Keyboard settings to defaults, run Xpadder (as admin in Windows Vista and 7 just in case) load up my controller and game profiles from the zip file linked below and then map the Joystick buttons like this.

Get the Controller and Xpadder Profile files here.

UPDATE: Thanks to Crono1973 there's now also a Pinnacle Game Profile up too, check his thread out for more details.

If you're a bit hazey on exactly what the PS1 controls are you can check this page.

Good luck and happy levelling

Originally Posted by GroundXaero
    Hey guys, after some disappointment finding out that D-Pads and Analogue Triggers apparently just don't exist to Square-Enix in their re-release of FF7 I took it upon myself to make a far better and more authentic and accurate layout for 360 controllers.

Initially I could not get the D-Pad to work at all, even with Xpadder, but then I found a work-around by editing the controller profile in a text editor and make the D-Pad read just like the Left Analogue Stick and I have now tested and can happily report this is working! I have also modified the Triggers (L2 / R2) as they were also unrecognised and have set them as the original PS1 Buttons.

To make the controls exactly like the PS1 version, just set your Keyboard settings to defaults, run Xpadder (as admin in Windows Vista and 7 just in case) load up my controller and game profiles from the zip file linked below and then map the Joystick buttons like this.

Get the Controller and Xpadder Profile files here.

If you're a bit hazey on exactly what the PS1 controls are you can check this page.

Good luck and happy levelling

The link http://www.myriad3d.co.uk/FF7/joystick_layout.jpg is dead. You might want to fix that.

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last