Thread: Settings and Controls

Settings and Controls

Everything seems to work fine and i had to rebind the keys but it seems I can't bind my 360 controller's triggers. It wont recognize it as a button essentially lol. It is only a minor inconvenience because it mapped the two buttons to the joysticks when they are pressed down but I want to know if anyone has figured out how to solve this. Any tips that doesn't require third party software?

I cannot assign my LT and RT buttons to work for the game. It detects the other buttons but not LT and RT. Does anyone know why?

As far as I am aware there is no way to get the game to recognize the triggers (though you can map the shoulder buttons). Also, I believe the same goes for the d-pad.

The reason you can't map "button" functions to the 360 triggers is because windows views them as one axis, usually called the z axis and acts simliar to the x and y axis of the sticks...one option is to get a logitech controller [or any other brand] that has actual buttons in that location...

as an alternative though, if you're not using the "L3" and "R3" buttons of the sticks, then you can map those...

hope this helps.

My solution fixes this problem, as I couldn't stand using the analogue stick to navigate menus. I also took a screenshot of the correct buttons to map to the 360 controller to make it as much like playing with the PS1 controls as possible, have fun

na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235/29318819/FF7_D-Pad_Fix_with_Xpadder_(for_Wireless_360_Controller)_and_Original_PS1_Layout

Bump again as it got lost

I'm having the same issues.

My Logitech F310 is horrible with Final Fantasy VII for the PC.

Never mind. I found out why. You need to switch it to X-Input by turning the controller around and at the back of the controller there is a switch that you must switch to change it from D-Input to X-Input. It will enable the LT and RT buttons to work.

Anyone?

I get an error when trying to load the profile

"Range Check Error"

Running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit with a wired XBox 360 controller. Got Xpadder and loaded the controller and game profiles, but when I try to change the joystick layout in FF7's settings, it still won't register either of the triggers or the D-pad. Would love some insight on this. Thanks for the help in advance.

Edit: I lied. The buttons do work! I was just misled by the settings menu not responding. I confirm that they do, however, function perfectly in-game! Thanks muchly for the solution, OP!

Originally Posted by Wyatt
    I was just misled by the settings menu not responding. I confirm that they do, however, function perfectly in-game! Thanks muchly for the solution, OP!
    Glad it helped, I probably should have been more clear about the fact that the button layout in the menu is just to lay out the buttons that do work on the controller. As the triggers and d-pad don't exist according to the launcher they aren't mappable at all from there and I just make them the same as the keyboard bindings for the appropriate functions.

Originally Posted by Wyatt
    I get an error when trying to load the profile

"Range Check Error"
    Are you running the latest version of Xpadder? Also after reading around a bit, have you tried running the Xpadder executable file (xpadder.exe) in Compatibility Mode (Windows XP SP3)? Seems to fix that error for some people.

Hey guys, downloaded the new version of FF7, looking forward to reliving all the good memories. I'd really rather not use the keyboard though--I have a PS2 controller plugged into a USB adapter. When I first load FF7 though, under "Joystick" it doesn't appear to recognize that it exists. Is there some tweak or setting I can modify to get it to recognize my controller?

Originally Posted by imported_John
    Hey guys, downloaded the new version of FF7, looking forward to reliving all the good memories. I'd really rather not use the keyboard though--I have a PS2 controller plugged into a USB adapter. When I first load FF7 though, under "Joystick" it doesn't appear to recognize that it exists. Is there some tweak or setting I can modify to get it to recognize my controller?
    For games that don't directly support the use of a PS2/Xbox 360 controller, you need an additional program in order for it to interface with the program. A popular one is called Xpadder, which can be found at xpadder.com/.

www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff7/buttons.php

This link will help you with the setup of the controller so it is exactly like the original setup of the game.

Wicked, thanks!

I had this same issue, you do not need any 3rd party apps to get it to work (at least with my ps2->usb adapter).

My adapter has 2 ports. One port works to set up the buttons (outside the game) and i have to switch ports to get it to work inside the game.

Pretty strange problem, but only needs to be set up once anyway.

Using XBOX 360 controller. Game starts, stick works and then it gets to the keyboard layout screen after you select new game and it just freezes there. Any ideas?

I thought Xpadder cost money...

It costs $10.

Originally Posted by imported_James

It costs $10.

Meh, it should be free, but whatever.

Press the X key.

For some reason it won't continue unless you press the OK function on the keyboard.

Ground, first i want to thank you for starting this thread, the first thing i wanted to do when i first launched it is use D-pad instead of analog stick. Unfortunately though your suggestion isn't working for me, it says your profile was created in a newer version of xpadder and i can't use it. From what i am seeing so far you can't get the newest version without paying for it (10$), which basically means you are paying as much as you did for the game just to use D-pad, no thanks. I am running xpadder in compatibility mode for XP as it won't open at all without it. I'm going to research this more and will update if i am able to get past this but wanted to warn everyone.

Originally Posted by blaket81
    Ground, first i want to thank you for starting this thread, the first thing i wanted to do when i first launched it is use D-pad instead of analog stick. Unfortunately though your suggestion isn't working for me, it says your profile was created in a newer version of xpadder and i can't use it. From what i am seeing so far you can't get the newest version without paying for it (10$), which basically means you are paying as much as you did for the game just to use D-pad, no thanks. I am running xpadder in compatibility mode for XP as it won't open at all without it. I'm going to research this more and will update if i am able to get past this but wanted to warn everyone.

Yea I've owned Xpadder for a while now cos it's really useful for some of the games I play that either don't support controllers or have issues with them, I could try and remake the profile in an older version of Xpadder if you like, what version are you running?

Originally Posted by GroundXaero

Originally Posted by blaket81

Yea I've owned Xpadder for a while now cos it's really useful for some of the games I play that either don't support controllers or have issues with them, I could try and remake the profile in an older version of Xpadder if you like, what version are you running?

I think i got it, i'm amazed this worked though. I changed the extension of the profile to .txt to edit it and chaged the version date at the top to be the same as the modified date of xpadder.exe and after changing extension back to .xpadderprofile it took it. As far as the controller file i just made my own (guessed). I'll update again if i see any problems but the D-pad seems to be working now with no other unwanted results. Thank you very much for offering to remake it though, you didn't have to do that.

Page 3 of 5 First First 12345 Last