Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread: Cloud Service and everything about Saving

Cloud Service and everything about Saving

is that true? and if it is, wtf square...

I went into the Final Fantasy VII folder but cannot find my local save files. Where are they located?

Computer > C:/ > Users > "Bisjac" > My Documents > Square Enix > Final Fantasy VII > user_xxxxx

i would grab all 3 files from the user_xxxx folder as a save backup.

when i tried JUST taking the save file, i couldnt drop it back into the original spot without the metadata.

as the game would otherwise recreate the metadata file on startup and delete just the save file.

so safer to keep all 3 together so to be dropped back in together.

Thank you, Bisjac. I successfully located the local save file.

I bought the FVII PC release....was playing it happily and reliving the old days.

Then later after I stopped for a bit, I went to go play again when my internet was down. and I find out - I'm unable to play a game that I paid for, which is NOT an MMORPG, without an internet connection. Is there any possible way in the future that this can/will be fixed? Especially when it uses local saves - there's no reason that we shouldn't be able to play this offline after registration/activation.

I understand the internet connection is needed for the cloud-saves and posting to member profiles...but to actually play the game itself? Its frustrating and annoying - and making me regret my purchase a little.

Yes DRM is annoying. Also the cloud server has been down and having problems lately, playing FFVII hasn´t been so difficult before.

I feel the cloud save should be optional.

Considering they're not on the cloud due to all the server nonsense, I would love to know. I'm going to try checking hidden files then let you guys know if you hadn't found out before me.

Nope, nothing in the hidden files of the main folder as far as I know. I'll dig deeper.

If you didn't change where anything saves, they should be with your documents, under a folder called Square Enix, then Final Fantasy VII. There isn't too much else in there either, from what I know.

Oh ew, the re-release is leashed to DRM? D: Glad I kept my copy of the original PC game. Now if only I can get it to work on my Windows 7...

A good portion of games are like this, such as any Steam game, pretty much all Blizzard games since the release of SC 2 and etc.

Originally Posted by GaiaGuardian

If you didn't change where anything saves, they should be with your documents, under a folder called Square Enix, then Final Fantasy VII. There isn't too much else in there either, from what I know.

That's the first place that I looked, lol. It doesn't seem to be there.

Originally Posted by Bisjac

Computer > C:/ > Users > "Bisjac" > My Documents > Square Enix > Final Fantasy VII > user_xxxxx

i would grab all 3 files from the user_xxxx folder as a save backup.

when i tried JUST taking the save file, i couldnt drop it back into the original spot without the metadata.

as the game would otherwise recreate the metadata file on startup and delete just the save file.

so safer to keep all 3 together so to be dropped back in together.

*Wind Waker boat shop man*

THAAANK YOU!!!

It is easier to check for validity of your copy, if it has to be played online. It is an anti-piracy mechanism in most cases, unfortunately it also serves to hinder those who actually purchase games, and also serves to encourage pirates to just continue pirating to spite the company that adds these mechanisms.

EDIT: There are ways to play Steam games without being online, unless the game specifically requires an internet connection (Skyrim, for example, can be played offline, but Batman: Arkham Asylum, requires Windows Games to be online to play)

Here's an idea Square-Enix....

Make the save files save locally!

If I switch computers.....let me move them physically myself.....

This will.....

A) Take all that unneeded stress off your servers

B) Make me happy that I bought FFVII again for the 4th time!

I know you'll save money from turning those servers off and i won't even ask you for a penny of it.

P.S. I'm still happy I bought this game but not happy about MANDITORY cloud saving.

Originally Posted by TheSauseMan
    Here's an idea Square-Enix....

Make the save files save locally!

If I switch computers.....let me move them physically myself.....

This will.....

A) Take all that unneeded stress off your servers

B) Make me happy that I bought FFVII again for the 4th time!

I know you'll save money from turning those servers off and i won't even ask you for a penny of it.

P.S. I'm still happy I bought this game but not happy about MANDITORY cloud saving.
    I would pay ten bucks more to turn off cloud saving

na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235...

You can move your save files locally if you do what is described in that thread.

excelent, just saw that. now if the game ever loads past 10% and allows me to log in ever again I'll be able to play. man how many problems can this thing have! Love the game and want to play but have had nothing but pain the past 2 days

so far only log in I can use is through facebook which is more than annoying

Originally Posted by imported_ryan

I would pay ten bucks more to turn off cloud saving

much agreed so please read my post square : )

Add the following to your Windows hosts file
    127.0.0.1 rome.eu.square-enix.com

The windows hosts file can be found in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

You can edit it with notepad.

If you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7, you need to right click Notepad and Run as administrator. On Vista/7, Notepad can be found in the Start Menu, All Programs, Accessories.

Update checking will continue to work fine since this uses a different server. Only remote sync will be blocked. This will also remove the delay you get while it is checking for the remote server. It should now fail almost instantly.

Square-Enix keeps a file called metadata.xml in your saves directory (My Documents\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII\user_??????). This file contains timestamp information to assist with syncing and a checksum of your save data. If the checksum does not match, it will delete the save file. It verifies these checksums when you first run the launcher and any time it attempts a sync with the server.

To keep the game from deleting your saves when using a save game editor, you need to make your changes after the game does one of these checks against the metadata.xml. The best time to do this is when you first launch the game and have the choice to start a new game or continue. Wait for the server to finish syncing or attempt to sync and then Alt-Tab out of the game and use your save editor to make any changes you want and then Alt-Tab back into the game and load that save. At this point, immediately save again. This will cause the game to update the metadata.xml with the proper checksums for your modified save preventing it from being deleted in the future.

For those who are going to ask (like I was about to) "How do we run this as Administrator?"

To Run as Administrator, on the hosts file, right click and select:

Properties-->Security-->Advanced-->Change Permissions
    Edit (Yourname\Users). Check the box for Allow, Full Control.
    This will add a new entry (You should probably remove this entry once you have edited the file). You can now save the edited file.

Also, if you want to add the line now but not use it until you later, you can put a "#" in front of the line to make Windows ignore it.

Why does it quote when I choose Quick Reply?

Question: is the cloud server the same for NA users?

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last