Thread: Steam key for square enix store buyers?

Steam key for square enix store buyers?

Originally Posted by bunnymoon

Please post results of any conversations with SE concerning this. I want steam achievements, thats what I assumed they originally were when I purchased the game. I bought this game when it first came out.

Any suggestions on who I should contact to voice my dissatisfaction and the fact I would like a steam version. Given the download link for the Digital river one expires in a year or so.......

Because right now. I feel kinda cheated, I hated getting forced using Digital river to purchase the game. This is probably not going to affect my purchases of Square enix games in the future, but it is going to affect my purchases directly from the Square Enix store if this is not addressed.

I completely agree, Digital River is a horrid company. My download link expired months ago. Too bad my hard drive crashed and I lost my installer. It would be wonderful if Square would do the right thing and give Steam keys so I could actually download a game I paid to own.

I'm in pretty much the same boat. Being able to download the game I paid for again would be... nice, to say the least.

Would also like to know this. Saw it on Steam and was blown away >_>. This is doubly unfortunate since I didn't realize the game had expired here so quickly. Fortunately I do have a backup of the game still on my harddrive for the moment.

This would be great. I didn't even play the copy I bought from Final Fantasy VII because it would never login (I created an account on Square-Enix NA, EU and Facebook, none of them worked), so I just waste money on this. If I can activate it on Steam without the unecessary Square-Enix account I would be grateful, so I can finally play the game I bought.

The simple fact is that we purchased a product and are unable to use it. I wasn't told before purchase I'd have 30 days to download, and if I was, it was sure hidden away somewhere because it came as a shock to me and so many others. They said they were looking into a solution to grant us the ability to download our game whenever. Well, here it is. Steam provides that oppurtunity. So void our purchases from here and grant us Steam keys. Problem solved, no more ticked off fans. Refuse, and I along with many others simply won't do business here again.

[Final Fantasy VII launches on Steam!]
    eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/final-fantasy...

[Phil Elliott] - 04/07/2013 14:16
    [Hi folks, I've passed on your messages regarding Steam keys, but unfortunately it's not possible to give out keys to those who have already bought another version of the game. I understand that's not ideal for folks wanting to use Steam to launch the Square Enix Store version, so sorry about that.]

[Hi folks, I've passed on your messages regarding Steam keys, but unfortunately it's not possible to give out keys to those who have already bought another version of the game. I understand that's not ideal for folks wanting to use Steam to launch the Square Enix Store version, so sorry about that.]

Angry.. Exclusive my ass, I want a damn steam key. I never play the digital river version b/c the cloud save never seems to work for me. Square you need to fix this ASAP

That is just a copy/paste of a reply I had already read.

We are not asking for a STEAM KEY. We are demanding for our right to have it.

Originally Posted by Gravity

So basically what it means is that Square enix tried to do what EA and Ubisoft did and make there own digital distribution service and used us as test subjects.

In the end it backfired and now Final Fantasy VII is for sale via steam and greenmangaming and gamersgate as a steam activated copy, and unless things change were holding the bag. My Download link through Ugh .... Digital river has expired. Would it hurt so much, to give us a steam copy or even charge us a small upgrade fee to get it on steam as well. I had a CD copy of Final Fantasy VII from eidos, it worked fine or even better than the cloud savegame one and was way less annoying . when they said it was coming out on PC again and there were achievments I bought it almost immediately only to find out they were facebook achievments, I went out of my way to buy it just for that. I guess it was my fault for actually believing in Square Enix, or not trying to get a refund after they screwed up my download, and the delayed cd key issue and gave me the game for the wrong region version, next time unless it's for sale on steam the likelyhood of me ever buying any game directly from the Square enix website, ANY game will be very unlikely, and will I take it as a mission to tell everybody my tale of despair and discourage purchases.

Listen here Square Enix, since I know there will be staff reading the comments on this thread. You have one chance to make this right to your loyal customers, the gamers that have supported you since day one. Do not even BEGIN to say that it is not possible; if a small team like Squad software can make this work for Kerbal Space Program, Square Enix can make this happen. If you DO NOT, I guarantee this will turn into a media fiasco for you, because you are simply unwilling to go the distance. As I have said, MANY developers make it possible to convert game A to Steam, many of them much smaller than you and many for a broader variety of platforms than your system. To not do so here is sheer laziness unless you can prove there is some technological or legal issue regarding the release of this key. You are betraying the customers who purchased your game FIRST for being loyal enough to purchase the game through your store; in what perverted world does this business logic make sense?

I purchased this game through your distribution system, I have a preorder for Final Fantasy 14, and I -own- just about every game you have produced in one form or another, most of which I purchased near launch or preordered. Either set this right, or do not expect to see another dime from me.

I would appreciate a direct response to this statement or I will escalate this issue appropriately via customer service channels.

Sick, can't give us the keys to steam? rly.... SE can talk with steam and give us loyal fans a key... afther all it's grim story your brewing up again SE with this steam release and ignoring the buyers right.

Serious question - what's the point of "passing on the messages" if there's zero intention to do anything about it?

As the game was sold to me as a exclusive I have rights as a buyer to pursue refund if you cannot accomidate me with a steam key, anyone else who feels screwed report Sqaure Enix to the Better Business Bureau and hopefully someone starts a class action lawsuit I'm getting tired of these gaming company's thinking they can get away with screwing their customers over just because they made themselves a household name if we knew it was coming to steam we would have waited this is a scam and I am so glad you guys ruined the FF Franchise so I no longer have to support you crooks by buying your garbage games

you Enix

I agree. I bought a digital copy of the game, so I just want download and play the game through the Steam. I hate the authentication limit by Digital River.

Originally Posted by exileofdreamz

As the game was sold to me as a exclusive I have rights as a buyer to pursue refund if you cannot accomidate me with a steam key, anyone else who feels screwed report Sqaure Enix to the Better Business Bureau and hopefully someone starts a class action lawsuit I'm getting tired of these gaming company's thinking they can get away with screwing their customers over just because they made themselves a household name if we knew it was coming to steam we would have waited this is a scam and I am so glad you guys ruined the FF Franchise so I no longer have to support you crooks by buying your garbage games

you Enix

Second

...How on earth is it not possible? I'm sure you have a database containing information regarding who purchased the game from the SE store. Generate digital keys. Send them to those buyers. At least call it what it is and say that it's unwillingness - not impossibility.

I acutally signed in specifically for this also. Was hoping they would offer a Steam key. Not sure why this wasn't done in the first place. Sucks that they offered us a 1 month window to download just to say "WELL THATS IT."

Hello again,

First off Gravity, no offence to you because I know this is what the suits wanted you to say. Thank you for the great copy and paste answer that's a blatant blanket PR lie. Steam has been around long enough to realize this is completely untrue. I.E.

1. Steam offers retail cd key activations (Tomb Raider and Last Remnant anyone?)

2. Many indie companies have released cdkeys out for their games after buying them from other services. (This is well documented, and I have also had this done for me with a copy of Miner Wars 2081 bought on Impulse, before they were bought out by Gamestop.)

So this now leads us to a couple of conclusions.

1. Square Enix is once again re-releasing a game for a quick cash grab from all its loyal supporters who want the extra convenience of steam.

(Which makes your company look like its going to keep milking it's products for as long as it can) Now let's get into this a bit. George Lucas, remember him? Now good ol' George has been milking the Star Wars franchise for what, say two decades at this point, where has that gotten him? The fans HATE him and he no longer wants anything to do with his creations. Do you really want Square Enix to end up like George?

2. You have a shady business agreement with Digital River, and are enjoying putting your huge loads of cash in each other pockets at the cost of your consumers. Digital River does not have the best online reputation (just do a google search for this). I.E. Trying to get people to buy a subscription for their service for a product they have already paid for. (I still can't get an answer from their support as to what my password is for their download, going on three days now, they obviously care about the consumer and their quality. ::sarcasm:: for those who can't read between the lines.)

3. Let's talk about EXCLUSIVES for a second. Now I distinctly remember the Square Enix store having a big graphics and advertisements when this was released specifically saying EXCLUSIVE to the Square Enix store. Unless Square Enix wants to make up a new meaning of the word exclusive, or wants to reneg their exclusivity with Playstation. This means only available from this distribution platform(aka Square Enix/Digital River downloader). This is further supported by the despised EA, as they love making exclusive to Origin games. Further proof of this exclusive terminology that was used are located at the following addresses:

www.addictasmo.com/2012/07/daily-dose-co...

www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-07/04/...

www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-05-sq...

finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantas...

and just in case you're lazy here is a link to one of the images that was on the Square Enix site prior to release 1.bp.blogspot.com/-H9njsuF-sK4/T_SLWZJPO...

I'm pretty sure releasing the game on Steam makes this no longer exclusive. Now you are drifting somewhere near the lines of false advertising. Another dangerous road. A good example of this is Bioware, remember they promised their customers something a couple months ago, and ended up getting one of the biggest backlashes in video game history (I absolutely will not purchase Mass Effect 4 just because of the way it was handled. They stuck their heads in the sand for a good three weeks before an army of angry games harrassed them to the point when they had admitted they had made a mistake. This even got to the FTC who agreed with the gamers in the situation. I am sitting here thinking, do I really want to file an FTC complaint about Square Enix for false advertising as well. I really think you need to reasses the way you handle this situation, in the meantime I will go back to playing NIS, Namco, and Atlas games and supporting their companies.) ( I suggest the "fans" here check out the AR Tonelico Series, Tales of Graces F, and Tales of Xillia or make sure to purchase Square Enix games used, this way your hard earned dollars are not put into Square Enix's coffers)

Extremely Dissatisfied Consumer,

Iokens

I'm in the same boat. I woulda bought it on steam first had it come there first. I had no other option. You know this is as simple as deactivating our keys from the SE store version and giving us steam keys like we should of had in the first place.

Square can't provide for their loyal customers? Not surprised, they haven't done so for years.

I was already pissed off at the fact that there was an EXPIRATION date on being able to download the installer for the game in the first place. Now you screw us again by not allowing us to have Steam keys? you, Square Enix. I lost faith in you guys years ago, but this is the nail in the coffin.

I will never buy another Square product again. Period. You guys have truly lost your way.

Thank you for the great copy and paste answer that's a blatant blanket PR lie. Steam has been around long enough to realize this is completely untrue. I.E.

1. Steam offers retail cd key activations (Tomb Raider and Last Remnant anyone?)

2. Many indie companies have released cdkeys out for their games after buying them from other services. (This is well documented, and I have also had this done for me with a copy of Miner Wars 2081 bought on Impulse, before they were bought out by Gamestop.)

So this now leads us to a couple of conclusions.

1. Square Enix is once again re-releasing a game for a quick cash grab from all its loyal supporters who want the extra convenience of steam.

(Which makes your company look like its going to keep milking it's products for as long as it can) Now let's get into this a bit. George Lucas, remember him? Now good ol' George has been milking the Star Wars franchise for what, say two decades at this point, where has that gotten him? The fans HATE him and he no longer wants anything to do with his creations. Do you really want Square Enix to end up like George?

2. You have a shady business agreement with Digital River, and are enjoying putting your huge loads of cash in each other pockets at the cost of your consumers. Digital River does not have the best online reputation (just do a google search for this). I.E. Trying to get people to buy a subscription for their service for a product they have already paid for. (I still can't get an answer from their support as to what my password is for their download, going on three days now, they obviously care about the consumer and their quality. ::sarcasm:: for those who can't read between the lines.)

3. Let's talk about EXCLUSIVES for a second. Now I distinctly remember the Square Enix store having a big graphics and advertisements when this was released specifically saying EXCLUSIVE to the Square Enix store. Unless Square Enix wants to make up a new meaning of the word exclusive, or wants to reneg their exclusivity with Playstation. This means only available from this distribution platform(aka Square Enix/Digital River downloader). This is further supported by the despised EA, as they love making exclusive to Origin games. Further proof of this exclusive terminology that was used are located at the following addresses:

www.addictasmo.com/2012/07/daily-dose-co...

www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-07/04/...

www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-05-sq...

finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantas...

and just in case you're lazy here is a link to one of the images that was on the Square Enix site prior to release 1.bp.blogspot.com/-H9njsuF-sK4/T_SLWZJPO...

I'm pretty sure releasing the game on Steam makes this no longer exclusive. Now you are drifting somewhere near the lines of false advertising. Another dangerous road. A good example of this is Bioware, remember they promised their customers something a couple months ago, and ended up getting one of the biggest backlashes in video game history (I absolutely will not purchase Mass Effect 4 just because of the way it was handled. They stuck their heads in the sand for a good three weeks before an army of angry games harrassed them to the point when they had admitted they had made a mistake. This even got to the FTC who agreed with the gamers in the situation. I am sitting here thinking, do I really want to file an FTC complaint about Square Enix for false advertising as well. I really think you need to reasses the way you handle this situation, in the meantime I will go back to playing NIS, Namco, and Atlas games and supporting their companies.) ( I suggest the "fans" here check out the AR Tonelico Series, Tales of Graces F, and Tales of Xillia or make sure to purchase Square Enix games used, this way your hard earned dollars are not put into Square Enix's coffers)

Extremely Dissatisfied Consumer,

Iokens

I am Sorry but I just do not belive your statemnet is true. You see I've bought a humble bundle. Mnay of the games were not yet on Steam. Then as each game was broght to steam, the users of the Humble Bundle got keys to use thier gams n steam. So I know it's soemthing that is possible. Could you bring thisup to your Contacts in Square? As a consumer Im very angry I cant get a steam copy -- especially given how much of a headache Digtal river, various login, and drm isssues have been for me.

The information will be used for future reference.

Page 2 of 4 First First 1234 Last