Thread: Gonna build my own comp. at school!

Cool Gonna build my own comp. at school!

I'm so happy! We have this program at school, an interim week, where we ditch the regular classes and take classes specialized in certain things. Some of the courses to take may include Tool Time (took that my freshman year, built a cool wood box that I keep my DVD collection in), Drivers Ed. (took last year). They also have travelling courses. Last year they had a group go to Mexico, this year it's Japan I think. I would definitely love to go to Japan, but there's no way I'm going on a plane for 13 hours my first time. So, I'm taking a course about building our own computer. And yes, we actually do get to build it, and to our liking, and we ge to keep them (why else bother???).
    I know this will be a great opportunity for me, and I'm so excited! The cost is at a minimum of $400. My mom already said she'd pay too. So, I'll let you know how it goes Just had to tell someone, I'm so excited!

That is really exciting, Gandalf. That's gotta be one of the best experiences ever... to build your own computer. Wonderful stuff.

good luck!

That sounds like a terrific opportunity. I wish you the best of luck!
    http://www.tombraider4u.com - The most informative Tomb Raider site

wow thats so cool. I'm sure you will have a great time

Use an ATHLON!!!

make sure you are exactly 1 generation behind the newest stuff

saves you alot of cash, and you`ll still be able to get good parts

of course, get an AMD Athlon, which is half the price of a P4, while just as good

You should use your skills from Tool Time to make a cool custom case and make a super small form factor PC. Using the mini-itx mobo format.

This is what I mean: www.mini-itx.com

I know nothing about computers except how to use software, so what's an Athlon?

Thumbs Up

Originally posted by Gandalf the Gray
    so what's an Athlon?
    Athlon is a processor type from AMD. The current two major chip manufacturors(sp?) are Intel and AMD.

With this beeing said, I have a feeling there is going to be a discussion about what's the best. Which I'll wisely not participate in

Good luck with the building!

Thumbs Up

You should enjoy this experience. I built my first PC about seven years ago and got hooked. I have built myself a new computer at least once a year since then plus several for other people along the way.

Thumbs Up

Congrats, Gandalf!

Be sure to take pics of your *dream machine* for us.

Oh, I surely will, providing I get that digital cam I want for X-mas

Sounds like a great oppertunity, Gandalf! My dad used to (don't know if he still does) build computers with spare parts he got from different people.