Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: The little things you loved about Deus Ex.

The little things you loved about Deus Ex.

NamelessOne Guest

The little things you loved about Deus Ex.

There were a lot of things that were obviously great in Deus Ex. Storyline, acting, gameplay, it had it all.

What I want to discuss in this thread are the "little" things. What small feature did you notice that you think pushed Deus Ex up from a great game into a classic one.

One of the things I liked was that the game had a different response if you completed a "quest" before talking talking to person that gives you it. In most RPG's, there might be a quest by an NPC to kill Monster A. Once you kill it, you come back to the NPC and say its done, and he gives you your reward. But if you kill Monster A before talking to the guy, he still gives you the quest without realising that its done, and you end the conversation, and have to start it up again to tell him that its done.

In Deus Ex, JC will inform him that its done immediately. This helped the immersion a lot I think, it felt like something was actually happening.

Another thing that I loved was that despite the fact that the story was essentially linear, you could do things your own way and still continue with the story. eg. When your brother tells you to talk to the guy in the plane, you can believe his story but do nothing, or kill him, or even kill Anna Navarre. It only slightly modifies the story but it adds so much to the "feel" of the game. This happens quite a few times.

What little things did you guys like?

I liked how even the most non-essential NPCs had their own backstory and lives. Remember the NSF leader in the mole people tunnels? When you confronted him, he said he didn't want to fight, that he was just an accountant. My dad's an accountant, so that really brought the game home for me.

There were so many other instances of that kind of thing happening, but it was touches like those that made Deus Ex less of a "game" and more of an "experience" for me.

NamelessOne Guest
    Yeah, I remember sneaking next to one of the NSF in the first level and hearing him remark to the guy next to him about how he hasn't had any training and hes not ready... Made me feel sorry for him.

I think NOLF (No one lives forever) did this well too. I remember seeing 2 guards next to a door and was about blow em away with a machine gun then I heard them talking. One guy talks about how he plays an instrument, and the other guy says hes in a band and they play on Sundays, and invites the first guy to join them. I decided against killing them and snuck past instead....

Yeah, ethics take alot of effect in the game.

That's why after playing quietly in my first round sparing as much as possible, I decide to be even more quiet in the 2nd round sneaking almost everyone & let my NPC friends do the killing.

But that also means leaving hostages alone.

I was trying to sneak all the way, in some levels its hard to do so like in the last.

I used Helios to help me there, I release he's bots to kill the monsters, while those where no Helios to help I jump around & ran as fast as possible to avoid being hit, not quite sneaky, but hey they're monsters not people, being spotted by them is ok.

First time I play, I was totally shock when Paul asked me to silently "take them to bed" Cause I nvr played any game that can stun except for researching purposes [X-Com] or just another weapon or to keep kills low so can get high rank [Hitman 2]

I didn't know about the game that time, my "real brother" bought it & I recognise the picture 7 asked why he bought it, doesn't look any different then other FPS.

"Don't judge a game by its Cover"

I'm glad he bought it or I may "never" know it or even been in this site reading all this wonderful things.

Trollslayer Guest
    Decision-making, NPC interaction, and character customization.

Originally posted by NamelessOne
    Yeah, I remember sneaking next to one of the NSF in the first level and hearing him remark to the guy next to him about how he hasn't had any training and hes not ready... Made me feel sorry for him.

I think NOLF (No one lives forever) did this well too. I remember seeing 2 guards next to a door and was about blow em away with a machine gun then I heard them talking. One guy talks about how he plays an instrument, and the other guy says hes in a band and they play on Sundays, and invites the first guy to join them. I decided against killing them and snuck past instead....
    Both examples are just beautiful. Those are what makes the game for me, that it's easy to forget you're playing the game and get immersed in the experience.

And No-One Lives Forever was a pretty good game, too. Never got to play the whole thing through.

No One Lives Forever

Never get to play, but I got the CD.

PS: I have a 40 Gigabyte Harddisk but I don't have enough space to play it. lol

I have only 8gb, so the lack of space is a motivation to finish games ASAP . It sure is annoying to download a 60mb trailer then get an windows saying "Not enough space to copy file to HDD, delete some stuff then try again."

I guess "The Future War On Terror" is a concession Ion Storm made to Eidos' marketing... the problem is, I don't think it will really draw people to the game...

yeah, mine is full of movies & series episodes, not to mention 3 over 1 gig each games.

Tons of pictures & notepads of writings.

etc.

Where all my space gone

I just replaced my 40 gig with a 120 gig hard drive for that reason.

How much does your 120 gig hardisk cost?

The one I got is presently available at Newegg.com for $110 plus shipping. It's a 7200 RPM Ultra ATA 100 drive with an 8 meg cache.

Agreed, in the ocean lab, one of the scientists complained about the care of the animals, and agreed to help you get rid of the MJ12. First time i play, Jo Jo Fine kills the rentons, i re-load, and I walk up to him, "hi there; BOOM BOOM BOOM, auto shotgun work.

Trollslayer Guest
    One of the little thigns that really helped was the info scattered around that made some things more believable or come to life on their own. You could read the news on newspapers or consult bulletin boards on the web for info (it wasn't as entertaining as Uplink, or the Front Mission games), and you had people talking about somewaht releveant issues, and ideologies. The other thing was the books and diaries scattered around the game levels, very entertaining. "The Man Who Was Thursday", and "Jacob's Shadow" were very good. Wasn't TMWWT a real book, even?

One of the little things that really helped was the info scattered around that made some things more believable or come to life on their own.
    I agree. Same for the interactivity of the environment in general.

Exclamation

The fing that made the game the game for me was the second time i played it i looked for things that i missed the first time round (and there was alot more than i expected)

for instance on liberty island some of those large crates that where lying around where medical crates and had medbots inside although you needed a lockpick to get to them it helped as it kept me alive when i had about 7 guards chasing me cause i ran out of ammo

This sort of thing made the game beter

Im playing it for the fourth time and im still finding fings i havent before

IM SHAPING THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD TO COME
    AND ITS FUN ! THEY'RE GONA NEED LOTS OF GRAVES

Big Grin Life

I liked the fact that every moving creature in Deus Ex was alive. I loved burning flies with my flamethrower and then looking at their little bodies on the ground. I have played some other game that had flies but they were simply lifeless sprites. I do not remeber the game at this point because I have played so many. Deus Ex is truly a magnificent game that I will continue to enjoy for a long time comming.
    http://alianza.meristation.com/porta...nt01_small.jpg
    Beware of the Frost Giant.
    -Thor, GTA: Vice City.

Heh, I was replaying the beginning of the game recently, and used one of the cases of TNT to blow open that first storage box with the medbots in it. After doing that (and dealing with the NSF guard who came running) I went around to the opening and found a couple dead pigeons and more than a couple bloodstains where others had been obliterated.

But, I think the "little" thing I liked the most was the fact that even knowing how to get through, you could not do it fast. The game is so big that it still takes lots of time to replay it fully. You can't just sit down and blow through it in a couple hours. That adds a lot to the replay value of it; you don't get as bored going through because you still have to pay attention.

Originally posted by Trollslayer
    One of the little thigns that really helped was the info scattered around that made some things more believable or come to life on their own. You could read the news on newspapers or consult bulletin boards on the web for info (it wasn't as entertaining as Uplink, or the Front Mission games), and you had people talking about somewaht releveant issues, and ideologies. The other thing was the books and diaries scattered around the game levels, very entertaining. "The Man Who Was Thursday", and "Jacob's Shadow" were very good. Wasn't TMWWT a real book, even?
    http://www.online-literature.com/che.../man_thursday/

Yes, it was a real book. I wish Jacob's Ladder was as well. Perhaps someone could write it for Eidos. Who knows, it might sell well.

~gareis

Trollslayer Guest
    Interesting. Thank you for the heads up, gareis

"Heads up JC, your brother's on his way to meet you. . ."

From the very beginning when you start on that wooden jetty and that distant crackly voice comes over the radio and that slightly nerdy face appears in the HUD. This is one game where, for once, you're not so alone.

And the adreneline and nervousness when you are hiding around a dark corner waiting for some bad ass to walk past so you can creep out and zap him with the prod

Yeah, we're not alone.

we got our friends, family, boss, an iritating instructor & enemies to keep us company.

I prefer to use the baton, no ammo required & can K.O. someone in 1 shot like a prod.

Only time I use a prod is when facing in front of them, to keep them shivering.

an iritating instructor
    you mean Paul?

Only time I use a prod is when facing in front of them, to keep them shivering.
    or for the MIB/WIB, from behind. faster than the baton. or maybe I should upgrade my melee skills

No, not Paul,

Anna Navara that's who.

hmm. speaking of her, when we compare the pic of her on the CD case & the game Anna, is there anyones CG of her in the game look like on the piece of paper?

Or is it just that picture paper & CG are different.

I love the newspapers, setting the scene of what is going on on the world stage.

One I particularly loved was that at one point in the game I saw that a company had won a bidding war with Page Industries over transporting ore from a mine on the moon - then later I saw one saying that their first shipment had crashed into some village in India. Coincidence? I think not.

That was just SO cool when I spotted it

Page 1 of 3 123 Last