Thread: TombRaider 1 Installation?

Question TombRaider 1 Installation?

Hi...

I´ve had the PC versions for a long time but preferred playing TR on the PS.

Now the time has come that I want to try TR 1 on my PC.

Troubles... I have Win ME... Audiophile Soundcard...and my CD drive´s automatic startup doesn´t work.

So, I open the CD and ... do what???

I can click on tomb.exe and the game will commence, but no sound, and REALLY bad graphics. Am I spoilt? Or is that the real thing?

Don´t I have to install it somehow???

Anyone who can help would be greatly appreciated.

All i can do is suggest going here

http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/...dos/index.html

Download glidos and see how you go

Muad Dib Guest
    Well, your in for some fun. I had ME but never got it to work. After I upgraded to XP I discovered GLIDOS and VDMSound.

It's fairly easy, like most things, once you know how to do it. But I never tried the GLIDOS/VDMSound on ME.

The GLIDOS page has instructions for configuration with VDMSound from start to finish and a forum as well.

It's fairly straight forward and getting the higher resolution graphics will be worth it.

A couple of things to remember:

a) TR1 inisists the CD be in the lowest drive letter to get sound. See the VOGONS GLIDOS forum for more. I'm runningit off virtual and it still has to be the lowest letter drive. There is no way to beat this that anyone has come up with.

b) I had a problem in that XP executes a CONFIG.NY and AUTOEXEC.NT file in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 for MSDOS programs. My upgrade left som detrius in the AUTOEXEC.NT which disabled the PATH to VDMSOUND. Mke sure ME doesn't do that (I can't remember).

Good Luck,

Glidos
    http://www.glidos.net/

VDMSound
    http://ntvdm.cjb.net/

ive got me and it worked

basically all i did was run the autorun and install the game. then close the autorun and goto the folder it installed to. choose setup and manually change the sound card to

SoundBlaster
    Port = 220
    DMA = 1
    IRQ = 5

dont press test or anything cause it crashes. then save + exit. load it up from tomb in the folder it installed to. start a new game, and instead of using Glidos (which costs $10) press F1 to get better quality

Muad Dib Guest
    Baylisst's suggestion might or might not work for TR1. A lot depends not on the ME operating system but the graphics card and the sound card the system has and which protoccols they will support. The problem stems from the technology available at the time TR1 was produced. The graphics and sound were hardware specific to the popular boards of the time.

Glidos and VDMSound remove the hardware dependencies which is why they solve the problem(s) for a lot of configurations.

Glidos provides the graphics protoccol which TR1, for the Voodo graphics boards, used (GLIDE) and VDMSound provides the protocols for the sound card(s) (read the descriptions for more). Both will work not only with TR1 but with other legacy MS-DOS based games which gives them multiple uses, not just TR1.

VDMSound is free and Glidos is $10.

I had tried mine on my VAIO/ME system using instructions some Stella's site members wrote up for TR1 with ME but it was no-go.

You can give Baylisst's suggestion a try and also the VDMS/Glidos configuration a try (you don't have to pay for Glidos until level 3 when a REALLY annoying spinning Glidos banner blocks the screen).

Raid on!

Re: TombRaider 1 Installation?

Originally posted by Lone Raider
    Hi...

I´ve had the PC versions for a long time but preferred playing TR on the PS.

Now the time has come that I want to try TR 1 on my PC.

Troubles... I have Win ME... Audiophile Soundcard...and my CD drive´s automatic startup doesn´t work.

So, I open the CD and ... do what???

I can click on tomb.exe and the game will commence, but no sound, and REALLY bad graphics. Am I spoilt? Or is that the real thing?

Don´t I have to install it somehow???

Anyone who can help would be greatly appreciated.
    Good luck it's not easy getting it to work on a modern PC!

If your CD ROM's autorun is disabled (which it sounds like it is) click on My Computer, right click on the TR CD and choose the "AutoRun" option or click on "Explore", double click on the "Install.bat" file (with the cog icon in the middle) to install TR.

If you're stilll having trouble installing the game download the TR installer program available for free from http://www.glidos.net/install.html?lang=en but don't use the replace tomb.exe option if you dont' plan to install GLIDOS. This is the only way I could get it to install on Windows 2000.

If you want high quality graphics you'll have to install GLIDOS. Pressing F4 may increase the graphics quality slighty but believe me GLIDOS is much better (you'll need a pretty good graphics card if you plan to use F4 anyhow)

The only problem with GLIDOS is that you do need a graphics card that supports OpenGlide i.e an nVidia chipset, an ATI may do so I'm not sure. If you have a budget PC with an inbuilt graphics chipset and no AGP expansion slot you're out of luck. I did and I had to upgrade my motherboard and buy a new graphics card to get TR/Glidos to work! The things I do for the sake of Tomb Raider!

As for sound you need the SoundBlaster sound options set as mentioned in the post above - if you've used the Glidos TR installer program it'll set these options automatically. Last but not least you need the CD to be in the CD drive with the lowest letter - click on My Computer and check which CD drive has the lowest letter and put the TR CD in that. You'll usually need the enable digital audio option set on your CD ROM drive as well.

(The DOS sound emulator VDMSound works well but is only available for Windows NT/2000/XP as these versions of Windows don't have DOS sound - Windows 9x/Me do have it and so VDMsound is not necessary.)

The only advantage of the PC version is the 4 extra levels, to be honest with you the PC version is inferior to the Playstation version otherwise. If you want to play it on your PC and you still have the PSX disc then why not use a PSX emulator? The best one is available from www.epsxe.com , it's free and you don't need any special programs/installers/graphics/sound cards to get it to work!

Thumbs Up

Praise be unto Mua'dib, the Master, and Paul Gardiner!

After following the interpretation of the Glidos instructions provided above by the Kwisatch Haderach and the Master, TR 1 appears in splendid, high-rez, bold sound glory on my new XP machine!

!!!!

Muad Dib Guest
    Outstanding!!!

Since I had started with TR5 and worked backwards through the series it had frustrated me not to be able to play the game that started it all.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

"The spice must flow!

He who controls the spice, controls the universe!"

Muad Dib

Hey guys, thanx for your responses! I haven't had any time to play since I've been working all through the summer so I just found your answers but I'm gonna go and give it a try now I think.
    I have a Nvidia graphics card (TNT2 methinks) but o god does all that sound complicated.
    If I get it all sorted I'll let you all know.
    Oh, and can anyone recommend a pad to play with? I will try the keyboard but find it terribly uncomfortable to use, and couldn't find a pad yet which has enough buttons to assign all Lara's moves to.