Thread: new game reveiw, posted on the ion storm forums

new game reveiw, posted on the ion storm forums

new game reveiw, posted on the ion storm forums

CHeck this out...
    http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/deu...w_6074704.html

maybe the before christmas deadline should be added to the realese date officail word thread.

God bless you Alex!

Let's prey that it's really going to be available before Christmas!
    Ask me,I was very happy to hear that the game is already ready.

one tester has made it about two-thirds of the way through the game without having acquired so much as a pistol.
    I'm drooling already.

This game looks great! As long as it lives up to the hype. And as long as my scrap heap can run it.

Just adding more drool to the puddle...

Honestly...

I prefer Ion Storm held back the release date of the game and touched it up a little longer. When Half-life 2 comes out around Christmas (or whenever), there's just no chance for DX2 to market. I know we Deus Ex freaks are happy, but c'mon. If this sequel flops, Ion Storm is gonna drop the franchise.

From what I see in some of the screenshots, the graphics look a little grainy, and I can almost see the limited number of polygons in the character models. Does anyone know if that stuff is gonna be fixed?

Yah I mean, HL2 will cost you million dollars to buy. Noone will be able to afford DX2.

Putz.

Derf, you should realise screenshots mean absolutely nothing, especially pre-release. Gamespot described the graphics as 'supurb' and quite possibley 'the best on xbox'. A testiment to how good the PC graphics will be also. And I think a post half-life release would be more dangerous, either way Deus Ex 2 will have to compete with halflife.

*adds more drool in regard to gamespots description of the game*

Originally posted by TheDerf
    I prefer Ion Storm held back the release date of the game and touched it up a little longer. When Half-life 2 comes out around Christmas (or whenever), there's just no chance for DX2 to market. I know we Deus Ex freaks are happy, but c'mon. If this sequel flops, Ion Storm is gonna drop the franchise.
    If the game is ready it doesn't need to be touched up for eternity. A Gamespot preview in February said the game was already put together start to finish, so they will have had almost a whole year to finish and polish the game mechanics.

And don't forget that the Xbox version of DX2 will be out well before the Xbox version of HL2. They're sure to sell many copies on that platform.

I prefer Ion Storm held back the release date of the game and touched it up a little longer. When Half-life 2 comes out around Christmas (or whenever), there's just no chance for DX2 to market.
    They really do need to release it before chistmas because that is when there will be a boom in the market. If they hold it back, HL2 will get all of the christmas market and none for DX2. If they release it hten at least it will get some. Besides I think that it will still do well if hte original is anything to go by I mean how many game of the year awards did it get?

But HL2 is supposed to be out on September 30th...

LOL, I know, I know, don't hold your breath...
    • If you want to live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn.

return of the Nanotech Sword, woohoo

* uncontrollably empties all manor of bodily fluids into drool pile*

New screenshots! Woohoo!

Hmmm...still skeptical about the Christmas deadline. The deus ex website still hasn't been updated since May, and Edios still has not offically released a date. In the meantime, I suppose all we can do is read more reviews telling us how great the game will be, making our collective drool (and body fluid, aparently) pile grow...

I don't know how it is in other areas (probably why my opinion is like this), but around here, no one I've asked has played let alone heard of Deus Ex. I must've asked around 20 people. Anyway, what I'm saying is, if Deus Ex 2 competes with Half-life 2 in Christmas, I think it will flop. Half-life is just too popular to go ignored now. It won the E3 thingy, giving it even more hype. On top of that, in the RPG category at E3, Deus Ex 2 got beat, sinking its name even lower in the ranks. So now, all the attention that DX2 well deserved has gone to every other game. I don't see how Deus Ex 2 can compete anymore. Should they release it around Christmas, let's hope Eidos pulls another Hitman 2 ad campaign for this game so Ion Storm can rake in at least a little cash.

Call me pestimistic.

Well, Derf, I fully agree with you. They should just wait till after Christmas, maybe a month, and in the extra time, polish it up, and watch the initial sales for HL2 go down a bit. That way they will have more of the market, a well-polished game, and a larger news amount, after all, who's gonna read a story about this DX2 thing when HL2 comes out.

Hype worked against the original Deus Exs favour, so perhaps its a good thing that DX2 isn't being hyped as much. Also, DX2 will have to compete with halflife no matter when its released, a post halflife release would mean people are still into halflife (and getting ready for Halo 2 for xbox users) an a pre-halflife release would mean people are distracted by halflife 2 hype.

Either way, the only way DX2 is gonna do well is on its own merits, not release date.

Honestly...

From what I see in some of the screenshots, the graphics look a little grainy, and I can almost see the limited number of polygons in the character models. Does anyone know if that stuff is gonna be fixed?
    Drop the franchise? Not likely, even if DX2 didn't work out a DX3 would be a near certaintly with a movie in production

Originally posted by Prohass
    Hype worked against the original Deus Exs favour, so perhaps its a good thing that DX2 isn't being hyped as much. Also, DX2 will have to compete with halflife no matter when its released, a post halflife release would mean people are still into halflife (and getting ready for Halo 2 for xbox users) an a pre-halflife release would mean people are distracted by halflife 2 hype.
    Deus Ex 1 was barely hyped at all. Chances are it would have sold more if it was hyped up before release. Are you referring to the GOTY awards it received after release?

Well I hyped it, and I spent a lot of time in communities that hyped it, and that overhype left many peole dissapointed, including me. It was only 2 years after its release, when i had forgotten about it, that i decided to play it again, and realised how good it was.

I suppose thought that hype is good for sales, but you have to look at it reasonably, the amount of games comming out between now and march 2004 is phenomanal, with lots of major titles, DX is gonna have to compete with them no matter when its released.

I don't know how it is in other areas (probably why my opinion is like this), but around here, no one I've asked has played let alone heard of Deus Ex. I must've asked around 20 people. Anyway, what I'm saying is, if Deus Ex 2 competes with Half-life 2 in Christmas, I think it will flop. Half-life is just too popular to go ignored now. It won the E3 thingy, giving it even more hype. On top of that, in the RPG category at E3, Deus Ex 2 got beat, sinking its name even lower in the ranks. So now, all the attention that DX2 well deserved has gone to every other game. I don't see how Deus Ex 2 can compete anymore. Should they release it around Christmas, let's hope Eidos pulls another Hitman 2 ad campaign for this game so Ion Storm can rake in at least a little cash.

Call me pestimistic.
    You know why I bought Unreal when it came out? Every magazine gave it ratigns of 85+.

You know why I bought Half life? same reason.

You know why I bought Deus Ex? same reason.

Neither of these three games had a massive amount of advertising at the time, or at least here (in aus). Usually if i buy a game it goes in some order like this:
    1) Read interesting preview, get some itnerest going (wiht some pretty graphics in screenshots usually helping alittle)
    2) Read review (with very good scores)
    3) Play demo (and thoroughly enjoy)

Usually if the three things happen, I will buy the game.
    I understand that some people might buy a game for the name or advertising (just look how much the tomb raider sequels sold for goodness sakes), i think the real gamers can identify a good game.

It realy doesnt interest me how much advertising i see for it, because advertising is just tryign to sell a product. Everyone will say their product is the best. Very rarely have I bought games that ihave not first played demos of or read very good reviews of (from multiple sources).

To be honest, Deus Ex had little, if any advertising here. I read a little preview on it once (only because the MIB's looks cool in the screenshot) and it sounded so interesting i got sucked in. When the game was given a ratign of 98% by PcPowerplay (my personal favorite gaming magazine, which i have a subscription for for the last 5 years), and thne got similar ratings from other publications, i decided 'i really have to try this'. As soon as the demo came out on the pcpowerplay cd i fell in love.

Personally, the decision of whether i buy Halflife or Deus ex will be based on reviews. If i get to try a demo as well, then all the better. If one game gets a great review, and the other gets average ones, i will buy the one with better reviews. If They both get great reviews (similarly great) then i will buy deus ex simply because it is more then just a shoot-em-up, and because of all the enjoyment i got out of the first.

To be honest, as highly praised as it was, Half life didnt do much for me from storylines. Deus ex did. I want to play half life because of teh technical features (graphics, sound, physics, etc), but i want to play deus ex for the while package. If the graphics in half life dont reach expectations, I will find little more about the game to draw me to it. If the graphics of deus ex dont reach expectations (i.e. like the first) I will still be attracted to its 'freedon based' gameplay and interesting story.

I think this kind of sums up the two games. Deus ex is a great overall package, half life is a pretty shooter. Doom3 i'm assuming will take on that whole 'shooter with style' side as well. While halflife 2 and doom 3 will both essentially be pretty shoot-em-ups, deus ex should be a all round great game. Given a choice between teh three, i'd choose the latter anytime.

Ahh well. Please let invisible war be good