Thread: FFXIV: Beginner's Thread

FFXIV: Beginner's Thread

I'm a new player and as such do not know alot but i am learn but it does get boring playing alone i would like to party up some ppl my psn id is Jaychance shoot me a msg if you do and tell me you are from here also i do have skype to help with coordination and the such hope i can play with you guys

na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235...

Go here and look in the Google Docs.

Most of us are on Behemoth so you can see if you can us or other peoples there.

Just curious about this got my beta code for ps3 yesterday and wondering exactly thing's such as two hand swords or dual wield never really found out about it also is there any guild's of sorts in the game if so please do tell thanks.

As i said new guy here just started curious on the armor types and weapons such as if ever dual wield or two hand swords. also about anything of the sort if guild's if it has those sorry didn't do much info searching be a pleasure if you could say something thanks.

CE FF14, New to the world

Evening Gentlemen and Ladies,

First of all I wanted to say hello to everyone since ill be one of the new players - I have played W.o.W for the past 6 years and have raided in some top guilds but now is a time for a change of pace and many hours of grinding in the FF world. I have bought the Collector's edition to rock the Mog hat and have little pets, but I made this post to ask a few questions as well.

1st - I'm jealous of those beta players - props to you guys any suggestions for the new players regarding classes and jobs?
    2nd - It is my understanding that the 24th is the open early date and we will be sent an email at that time to begin playing after using our code?
    3rd - I was reading through the forms and came across this link : "Here is the client/downloader link.
    http://sqex.to/FFXIVGame " Can anyone confirm this would be what well be playing on or if this is simply the beta? Reason I ask if that is the correct link and install is because its under maintence and didn't know if it was going to have a separate install on go live.

Looking forward to meeting you all and maybe a few of us can play in game - hours on end. Take care all and thanks in advance for the information!

Kiritos

Question Any advice for a (completely) brand new player?

Just like the title says, Im completely new to the FF MMO's. Im not new to MMO's, Ive played the AAA titles and others like Tera and Warhammer.

Im looking on what would be a good starting Classes that is beginner friendly and what Job would be a good stepping stone without being toooooo easy to the point its mindless.

I enjoy Support roles, I love the aspect of working in the back throwing buffs and debuffs, heals or absorbs if the game has those. I dont have a hard time multitasking and would actually prefer a more harder learning curve as I tend to get bored if my role has little to do in a group. Melee or Casting is fine, I enjoy a Tanking role but prefer to wait until I have a grasp on the games mechanics.

Any Dos and Donts would be great as well, as in what crafting to stay away from till later in the game.

Anything is helpful. Thanks!

i always mage it up. love magic launching. your lucky to be mmo devirginized by this game. its epic!!! go black mage! thaumaturge!!!

Originally Posted by TinSparrow
    Just like the title says, Im completely new to the FF MMO's. Im not new to MMO's, Ive played the AAA titles and others like Tera and Warhammer.

Im looking on what would be a good starting Classes that is beginner friendly and what Job would be a good stepping stone without being toooooo easy to the point its mindless.

I enjoy Support roles, I love the aspect of working in the back throwing buffs and debuffs, heals or absorbs if the game has those. I dont have a hard time multitasking and would actually prefer a more harder learning curve as I tend to get bored if my role has little to do in a group. Melee or Casting is fine, I enjoy a Tanking role but prefer to wait until I have a grasp on the games mechanics.

Any Dos and Donts would be great as well, as in what crafting to stay away from till later in the game.

Anything is helpful. Thanks!
    it honestly really depends on your playstyle. ive had experience with open beta and all i can say is that 1day of plying ff arr u'll pretty much know what to do how to play ect.

best thing in ffxiv is u can change ur class. well thats what i like about it...
    HELL i like everything about it :L

yes you can be all jobs and classes and stuff! ALL OF THEM, just change weapons.

I personally would recommend to pick up class which starts at Gridania as it's IMHO easier place to navigate for newcommers to game comparing to Limsa Lominsa or even Uldah. If you want to be in the magic group then Conjurer starts there (that's what I've picked in both Beta 3 as well as Beta 4 / Early access / Live as my first character / primary class). Arcanist starts in Limsa Lominsa and it's pretty sweet and most of all quite independent having the pet available very early in the game. And finaly - THM starts at Uldah.

Frankly - doesn't matter much really due to the fact that once you've complete your main guild LVL 10 quest you're free to join all other guilds as well and changing the class is as simple as equipping another main weapon. Just keep in mind that various guilds are placed in various starting cities and you'll be unable to travel to other cities until about LVL 15 - 17 so try to choose the city with the guilds / classes that most appeal to you. You can easilly reach needed level though in 2 to 3 days of cuasal playing (not hardcore 23,5 hours per day one )

this is why i love this ffxiv. you can level without giving your life away. i remember fighting crabs at the beach forever in ffxi for 1 possibly 2 levels. its great that i can play 2-4 hours and still get something out of it and progress.

Originally Posted by HEC007
    I personally would recommend to pick up class which starts at Gridania as it's IMHO easier place to navigate for newcommers to game comparing to Limsa Lominsa or even Uldah. If you want to be in the magic group then Conjurer starts there (that's what I've picked in both Beta 3 as well as Beta 4 / Early access / Live as my first character / primary class). Arcanist starts in Limsa Lominsa and it's pretty sweet and most of all quite independent having the pet available very early in the game. And finaly - THM starts at Uldah.

Frankly - doesn't matter much really due to the fact that once you've complete your main guild LVL 10 quest you're free to join all other guilds as well and changing the class is as simple as equipping another main weapon. Just keep in mind that various guilds are placed in various starting cities and you'll be unable to travel to other cities until about LVL 15 - 17 so try to choose the city with the guilds / classes that most appeal to you. You can easilly reach needed level though in 2 to 3 days of cuasal playing (not hardcore 23,5 hours per day one )

Originally Posted by HEC007

That's really good to know, as in some games the town design can be absolutely horrid. I remember playing Aion and getting completely frustrated at not being able to find key points in a city / town and getting upset and taking a break for a bit due to it and needing to look it up online.

I had no idea you could change classes just by the weapon.

The design of all 3 start cities is very good, it's only that both Limsa Lominsa as well as Uldah are "multilevel" with stairs, passes and bridges going up and down and might be a bit confusing at start before you get acustomised to the map / minimap functionality while Gridania is pretty much "flat" / more 2 dimensional (apart of the airship landing) in design so it's less chance of getting lost there at the start. Buit it's in no way means that you'd be unable to start in Limsa Lominsa or Uldah instead indeed.

And - yes - being able to switch classes freely on the same character is one of the most attractive features of ARR.

If you are new to the game, introduce yourself to others as this in game. You are almost guaranteed to find someone willing to help you. Once you get that head start, you can pretty much quest your way through levels. I would also suggest making friends with some of the JP players (Japanese). They can be very friendly and willing to help you too.

After you get leveled up, and understand some of the story and background, you might be curious to interact with some of the other players. This is a great opportunity to find others that socially meld with you or if they are doing the same quest.

You can always solo, but I'd use the social aspect of the game as a great starter. Welcome to FFXIV! Look me up on the Balmung Server if you like. My name is Moose Quest.

new ff player, please help

ok it shows i have the pre order bonuses but where in game do i find them? can someone be specific and help please? im lost on thise

You should get them delivered by moogle mail, everyone on the early access got them delivered yesterday, they were waiting for me when I logged in. Top right corner of HUD will show you have mail so just go to the moogle (envelope icon on map) to receive your gear

thanks. here is it in first area?

Originally Posted by tonyf3939
    thanks. here is it in first area?
    Which town did you start in? There's a moogle in most areas, just go into the map full screen and look for the envelope icon

im just at adventurers guild so far

ok ty so much. people in game are not helpful

What server you on? I'm on Odin (EU) and not had nothing but good things to say about the community, everyone is very willing to help out.

So is that Ul'Dah you've started in? If so then it's right outside the guild.

If you're struggling then look here http://www.ffxivguild.com/maps/ as this has full maps of all 3 cities. Just find the mail icon.

Not sure what's going on in your server, but as the other guy said, people on my sever are also VERY helpful. I've been on the Coeurl Server since beta P4, and everyone was offering help to questions asked.

If you are typing in the message box but you only 'say' it then people may not hear you, you generally have to 'shout' so everyone in the area gets the message in their windows. Clicking the speech bubble next to the entry window will let you change the option to shout.

New to gane looking to join some people for some great fun

Just started playing would love to get with some people to get started let me know if anyone is interested

from PS3 btw

Page 2 of 5 First First 12345 Last