Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Thread: FFXIV: Beginner's Thread

FFXIV: Beginner's Thread

FFXIV: Beginner's Thread

New to the world? Then feel free to share your thoughts and ask your questions here in this thread.

Play Guide

Edited by Grimoire
    ---

I just started playing FFXIV and got to level 7, and thus far no complaints... I love this game. Is there a way to have the npc's talk instead of reading everythign they say? If there is can someone tell me how to make that optional, if not I do wish the game would allow to hear the npc's talk instead of reading what they say. Other than that no complaints here. Graphics is awesome. I will be getting the game myself when it comes out. Another option that I do like is the sprint your character has in game. Not having to walk slow every where is great.
    Last edited by Grimoire; 10th Dec 2013 at 10:44.

Yea I have to stand three feet from my 30' plasma tv just to read.

While I can't say for sure, the way I understand it is that the voice acting isn't implemented into the beta yet. I'm led to believe they will have it in, I just don't know how much content will be voice acted or when it will be in. I have seen videos with voice acting though. So it has to be coming sooner or later.

Originally Posted by imported_Brett

While I can't say for sure, the way I understand it is that the voice acting isn't implemented into the beta yet. I'm led to believe they will have it in, I just don't know how much content will be voice acted or when it will be in. I have seen videos with voice acting though. So it has to be coming sooner or later.

What there's voice acting?!, I thought it was just old school.

Yeah, there is supposed to be. In betas they tend to leave out some of this fluff so they can focus on the core problems. You may see it in phase 4 but I'm sure it'll at least be there by launch. Truthfully, I don't care though. I played SWTOR for awhile and all that voice acting started to grate my nerves after awhile because of having to hear some tentacle head repeat the same lines over and over because someone in the group doesn't want to use the skip feature and making me want to rant about anything and everything like tacos mating with orange juice on a cold winters night right after the blue moons won the series againt the rat legs and their smelly cheese nachos and about 13 beers. *sigh* ok.. rant ending.

Point being, if it's done well and I don't have to hear the same lines 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times. I'll be good with it.

But in this you only have to listen to dialog once, unless it makes you listen when you're in a group?

Yeah I don't think they implemented voice acting yet. I mean even your own character's voice are japanese. So I say they're probably looking for more voice actors.

Originally Posted by nedroj/uteh

But in this you only have to listen to dialog once, unless it makes you listen when you're in a group?

That was the problem in SWTOR. Most group missions/raids made you play through the story every single time. So you were forced to hear it EVERY SINGLE TIME. I had to step down from my duties as a guild leader because I couldn't take people through those missions anymore. I know it's probably a silly complaint to most people, but dammit if it wasn't annoying.

Wait my character can talk?, I thought they went for the silent protagonest.

Any VA's should be released in Official.

Originally Posted by Demyx.

I might not buy it, I might get a PS4 at christmas and ESO comes out next year.

i could never really get into elder scrolls. Skyrim was just pretty damn boring to me. had to walk 12 hours just to fight something that fell with a couple shouts and some punches to the face lol. im not hatin on it just couldnt get into it.

Originally Posted by imported_Chad

i could never really get into elder scrolls. Skyrim was just pretty damn boring to me. had to walk 12 hours just to fight something that fell with a couple shouts and some punches to the face lol. im not hatin on it just couldnt get into it.

I restarted Skyrim 15 times until I got into it, but to be fair I have an illness that does not work well with RPGs.[img]/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif[/img]

well i just got tired of walking for 12 ing hours just to set a skeleton on fire

You might be shooting yourself in the pooper there. I've been hearing some pretty negative things about ESO. I won't say much other than what I read from others online. People saying it has some notoriously bad quests and the combat system is sub-par at best. It's like everything you love about Skyrim minus everything you love about Skyrim. But hey! It is still in Tamriel I think!

Voice is one of the character creation features. From low to high I believe.

You might be shooting yourself in the pooper there. I've been hearing some pretty negative things about ESO. I won't say much other than what I read from others online. People saying it has some notoriously bad quests and the combat system is sub-par at best. It's like everything you love about Skyrim minus everything you love about Skyrim. But hey! It is still in Tamriel I think!

The quest and story in Skyrim sucked and your actions had no consequences, Skyrim sucked for the most part, and I usually don't listen to reveiws , people hate Dynasty Warriors but I absolutely love the games, for example.

Originally Posted by Saha

Oh THAT voice thing. Your characters voice in FFXIV is only there for combat grunts and emotes. They don't actually do any straightforward speaking. If they did, they would have to add a lot more dialog into the game since there is none for your character.

Originally Posted by Saha

I thought those were just grunts....like in Dragon's Dogma

well i just got tired of walking for 12 ing hours just to set a skeleton on fire

Lmfao! It's late. I'm high off milk and I'm sleepy. Lot's of these comments are just making my night. x'DDDD!

Lmfao! It's late. I'm high off milk and I'm sleepy. Lot's of these comments are just making my night. x'DDDD!

I'm allergic to dairy.[img]/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-sealed.gif[/img]

The quest and story in Skyrim sucked and your actions had no consequences, Skyrim sucked for the most part, and I usually don't listen to reveiws , people hate Dynasty Warriors but I absolutely love the games, for example.

Normally I would agree with you. It's just that MMOs all have the same basic formula to them. Quest -> turn in -> level up -> get gear.. etc..

What counts is how intuitive the developers can make that formula. Guild Wars 2 ditched the whole questing aspect and you level through world events or exploration and combat. I found it very boring. Not enough meat with my garnish. SWTOR followed along with the MMO standard and counted on the Star Wars appeal and some story dialog to make their game unique. It also got boring really quickly.

So if ESO isn't doing something that the population isn't absolutely excited for, where would you think it'll end up in the MMO spectrum? That said, you don't need to base your opinion on what others think, but you'd do well to take it under advisement before making that decision.

Normally I would agree with you. It's just that MMOs all have the same basic formula to them. Quest -> turn in -> level up -> get gear.. etc..

What counts is how intuitive the developers can make that formula. Guild Wars 2 ditched the whole questing aspect and you level through world events or exploration and combat. I found it very boring. Not enough meat with my garnish. SWTOR followed along with the MMO standard and counted on the Star Wars appeal and some story dialog to make their game unique. It also got boring really quickly.

So if ESO isn't doing something that the population isn't absolutely excited for, where would you think it'll end up in the MMO spectrum? That said, you don't need to base your opinion on what others think, but you'd do well to take it under advisement before making that decision.

I really just wanna play it because I already know the world of Tamriel, in FFXIV I have to learn I these knew words that I don't care to much about, and by the way this beta is my first ever time playing an MMO so my standards arent very high, but if what you mean is that because ESO isnt "special" that it will go free to play really fast then yes I'll consider that, but I know for sure I'll get Dayz, even though I'm zombied out and hate Walking Dead, but it seems to have unique gameplay that interests me.

I really just wanna play it because I already know the world of Tamriel, in FFXIV I have to learn I these knew words that I don't care to much about, and by the way this beta is my first ever time playing an MMO so my standards arent very high, but if what you mean is that because ESO isnt "special" that it will go free to play really fast then yes I'll consider that, but I know for sure I'll get Dayz, even though I'm zombied out and hate Walking Dead, but it seems to have unique gameplay that interests me.

I'm not suggesting that ESO will go f2p, only that I don't think it is going to hold a high populations attention for very long. Might be fun for a quick play through of the story or something. I just have a feeling that it'll end up like SWTOR and get a massive influx of people at launch, then die out over the course of 6 months. FFXIV on the other hand is a full world with more and more to do. Not just another mindless drone game where you pick a character, level them through the story and quests, max them out and have to do it ALL over again to play a new class. That repetative crap gets really old really fast. That's one reason I love FFXIV. I don't need new characters to play new things. Really cuts down on that repetative gameplay.

I'm not suggesting that ESO will go f2p, only that I don't think it is going to hold a high populations attention for very long. Might be fun for a quick play through of the story or something. I just have a feeling that it'll end up like SWTOR and get a massive influx of people at launch, then die out over the course of 6 months. FFXIV on the other hand is a full world with more and more to do. Not just another mindless drone game where you pick a character, level them through the story and quests, max them out and have to do it ALL over again to play a new class. That repetative crap gets really old really fast. That's one reason I love FFXIV. I don't need new characters to play new things. Really cuts down on that repetative gameplay.

Oh didn't know FFXIV was the only MMO that you can change class and play endless quests.

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last