Thread: New Virus Alert

Exclamation New Virus Alert

virus was released to the Internet today called Sobig.F. This virus exploits e-mail, sending mail to addresses found in various files on your computer. The mail the virus sends out will appear to have been sent by you, even though you did not send the mail. Alternatively, the address of the sender may be admin#internet.com.

The subject line of the mail may be one of the following:
    Re: Details Re: Approved Re: Re: My Details Re: Thank You Re: That Movie Re: Wicked Screensaver
    Re: Your Application Thank You! Your Details See the attached file for details
    The infected mail will also have an attachment and may be one of the following:
    your_document.pif document_all.pif thank_you.pif your_details.pif details.pif movie0045.pif
    document_9446.pif application.pif wicked_scr.scr

If you receive a mail with an attachment that ends in .pif or .scr there is a high possibility this is the Sobig.F virus.

All the major antivirus vendors released updates to their products today which will stop this virus.

When will this continual string of viruses and worms end?

Do you have any info on what OS's will be infected or are susseptible? <<<<I think we need a spell check here!

Originally posted by Aquarius
    susseptible? <<<<I think we need a spell check here!
    sus·cep·ti·ble
    Pronunciation: s&-'sep-t&-b&l
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Late Latin susceptibilis, from Latin susceptus, past participle of suscipere to take up, admit, from sub-, sus- up + capere to take -- more at SUB-, HEAVE
    Date: 1605
    1 : capable of submitting to an action, process, or operation <a theory susceptible to proof>
    2 : open, subject, or unresistant to some stimulus, influence, or agency
    3 : IMPRESSIONABLE, RESPONSIVE
    synonym see LIABLE
    - sus·cep·ti·ble·ness noun
    - sus·cep·ti·bly /-blE/ adverb

Ask and ye shall receive.

Thumbs Up

Thank you Mr. Webster.

Big Grin

Thank you Mr. Dictionary! I knew there was a c in there somewhere.

But what about those OS's?

Thank you Mr. Dictionary! I knew there was a c in there somewhere.

But what about those OS's?
    Winders of course. 98/Me/2000/XP all them there Outlook losers.

When will this continual string of viruses and worms end?
    I'm hanging out for the hacker wars

Someone recently rewrote an MS Blast worm variant that spread exactly the same way through the same exploit and then examined you network for other machine that were unprotected but instead of damaging systems it then went about installing itself on all the computers in the network and then patched them to close the security hole and then also scheduled an auto unistall of itself before 2004

An ideal IT world would be the good writers and the bad, the bad writing the virus and the good ones writing coutner viruses that hunt and kill the original and their variants... if only they could then transcend the web and kill the virus writer as well

Thumbs Up

Courtesy of MsLedd
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com...big.f@mm.html:

Info on the SOBIG.F sucker.

Originally posted by ragsy
    Someone recently rewrote an MS Blast worm variant that spread exactly the same way through the same exploit and then examined you network for other machine that were unprotected but instead of damaging systems it then went about installing itself on all the computers in the network and then patched them to close the security hole and then also scheduled an auto unistall of itself before 2004
    The downside of the anti-blast virus though is that it also reboots computers/servers after it installed the patch.

So if you don't open any strange e-mail attachments you'll be fine right?

And seeing that this one can affect Window ME, I'm very glad we just got a firewall!

I just read an article on AOL this morning that said the Sobig.F worm is the fastest spreading e-mail virus ever. Even faster than the Klez virus.

Cool

Get yourself Zonealarm from http://www.zonelabs.com it's free.

I just read an article on AOL this morning that said the Sobig.F worm is the fastest spreading e-mail virus ever. Even faster than the Klez virus.
    It's because people still haven't learn not to open unknown or suspicous attachements

glad im still using 98SE

but still have a firewall ;todays count of attemted intrusions was 6,284 and 2,678 access attemps just in the last 2 hours

;D
    i/o interactive

Originally posted by @m
    It's because people still haven't learn not to open unknown or suspicous attachements
    not entirely true. i recieved the virus and never opened anything. i got the virus from my isp. in fact everyone on my isp got it becuase of their stupidity. so its not just people who know better, i got the blaster worm becuase someone at my isp facked up!

You could have prevented yourself getting the Blaster worm by downloading the patch that Microsoft "told everyone to download "4 weeks before it hit.

oh we had the coolest thing at school. about 2000 students all work with laptops there (me included) and we are all hooked up on the school network. now, the sysadmin has infected every single one of us with the blaster thingie...

about 20 students downloaded the patch as soon as they got their laptop (me included)