Thread: Important: How To Search This Forum

Exclamation Important: How To Search This Forum

Searching the Forums and YOU: a rant by D3v1L80Y

OK, so you are new to the game and you have a gotten yourself into a bit of a jam. You turn to this forum with hopes of finding assistance with your dilemma. You have come to the right place, but how does one find assistance here? Simple, search this forum. That’s right; I said “search this forum”. I did not say post a new thread; I said “search this forum”. Well you ask, “How do I search this forum?” Again this is simple. Direct your attention to the top right hand corner of your screen. You will see a grouping of buttons like this:

One of those buttons is labeled “search”, why not click on that one? When you do you will see a screen like this:

You can then type in what ever you want to search for. “What should I be looking for?” you may ask, look for whatever you need help with. For example I typed ‘red ghost’ in the keyword field and just selected the AOD forum and I got back 71 different threads in the search results (brother obscura got around 46 and the word ‘ghost’ on its own got back 169 results!). Next I typed ‘boaz’ and got back a whopping 213 different thread results. The entire Tomb Raider Community Chat forum has only around 150 threads TOTAL. Searching ‘boaz’ brought back an entire forum’s worth of responses. So, instead of adding even more to that already large number just search instead of starting a new thread.
    You may think that there are too many threads to look at. "How am I ever going to find the answer?" you may ask. Well there is a reason why there are so many threads......everyone keeps posting a new one and NOT SEARCHING FOR ONE. Try to be a little more precise with you search. For instance, I typed 'how do I kill the red ghost' in the keyword field and got this back:

That was only 9 results to read instead of 90...a bit easier. The point is this...don't post a new thread until you have thoroughly searched the forum first. These are just a few examples of the senseless, multiple postings that are going on here. This forum alone has over 1500 different threads. This game that this particular forum is for has only been out for a little over a month and this forum has ten times the threads of the TR Community Chat forum. That is a little out of hand. Lets try to help each other and cut back on some of these needless, duplicate threads. So if you plan on posting another thread on Boaz, a Red Ghost....or something as inane as simply 'Help!' then please think twice, in fact think 3 or 4 times about it before you post another thread on that topic. Search is your friend and should be used when you really need help. Search becomes harder and harder each time a duplicate thread it posted, so again....please try to cut down on them and just search. If you want to see if anyone else noticed your little bug, or secret or whatever, just search first. You will find out if anyone else did. If not, then go ahead and post something. But with 1500 to 1600 threads I am certain that someone else already noticed it as well. Search is also good when you are thinking about doing a poll...chances are it was done already, so search first. Again the bottom line here is to search....search and then post if necessary. How many times do I have to say "search"? Just do it.
    OK..I am done ranting now......just go ahead and search already why don't you.....
    "Its not easy being evil in a world that's gone to Hell" ~ Anton LaVey
    Click here to learn how to search this forum

Search is your friend and should be used when you really need help.

Right on !
    @ moderators: please make this a sticky !

Thank you, Finiz...that would be great if this were given priority and made a sticky.
    And let me say this....I am sure that some will read this thread and think that I am just 'giving newbies a hard time'. That is so far from the truth. The internet is nothing new....message boards like this are nothing new....and searching the aforementioned internet and message boards is nothing new. People may be 'new' to this particular message board, but unless you got your computer yesterday and just signed up for internet access this morning and went online for your very first time today, you are NOT a newbie to the concept of search. Searching is just good common sense. In fact a lot of people find this message forum as a result of a search. They may have used Yahoo!, Google or whatever search engine they choose to. Why then would you stop your search when you reach here? If the feature exsits, and it does, then use it. And its not just 'newbies' to this forum who are posting senseless duplicate posts. I have seen several people with a 'member' or 'senior member' behind their nickname. Now I understand that those classifications mean nothing more than the number of posts one makes on the forum...so it could be said that a senior member has no more knowledge or experience than a junior member. 'Senior' member means only that you have posted more than 500 times on this forum. In closing, searching is simple and it is just good, common sense.

Thumbs Up

VERY GOOD!! LOL! No one could say it better! I can understand some users tempted to just post a thread in hopes for a quick answer to frustration over the game & it is easy to forget the 'Search' button, but it is there for a reason. I had not thought of using it before posting a Poll....good suggestion. Thanks for this reminder.

@ D3v1L80Y:

@ Finiz: People don't read stickies by default. It is like they are invisible to most people.

Originally posted by GoranAgar
    @ D3v1L80Y:

@ Finiz: People don't read stickies by default. It is like they are invisible to most people.
    True, but you can try it at least.....It can only help.

LOL. At this very moment someone has started a new 'Hall of Seasons' thread.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...threadid=22313

It's getting a real plague !

Originally posted by Finiz
    LOL. At this very moment someone has started a new 'Hall of Seasons' thread.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...threadid=22313
    Well, at least I tried.....I really, really did try to help here...I did my best to try and have people stop the madness.....too bad we can't force people to use common sense and just search....and another thing, why on earth is it called 'common' sense when it isn't a commonly shared attribute???

My two cents on the whole search issue (and I may be one of the guilty ones, at times). If you have a question, or problem, or are just plain stuck and you post a new thread, you then have to wait for people to read it...Then wait for more people to read it, til someone reads it that can help you...You then have to wait for their reply.
    If you do a search there's a good chance your question will be answered in a matter of seconds and you're back in business.
    Why would anyone not want that?

Originally posted by nowalruses
    My two cents on the whole search issue (and I may be one of the guilty ones, at times). If you have a question, or problem, or are just plain stuck and you post a new thread, you then have to wait for people to read it...Then wait for more people to read it, til someone reads it that can help you...You then have to wait for their reply.
    If you do a search there's a good chance your question will be answered in a matter of seconds and you're back in business.
    Why would anyone not want that?
    True, and another thing.....by the time it takes you to have typed up your question in your new thread you just started, you could have already found you answer in a past post by using the search. It takes more time to start a thread than it does to search for one.

Thumbs Up so true

D3v1L80Y - hats off to you for this bit of sanity.
    On a different note, but harking back to what you've said:
    People always ask "why are there so many registered members with no posts?"
    Many of those registered users are people who have come here
    to find answers to questions, but don't like to post. You have to register
    to be able to use the search function, and this is exactly what they have done.
    signature imagesignature imagesignature imagesignature image
    "Doomsday device?...I suppose I could part with one and still be feared..."
    Skusting's deviantArt gallery <-updated with regularity regularly!