Thread: In search of the golden hiccup!!!

Cool In search of the golden hiccup!!!

My story begins back in March of this year, when I decided to upgrade the old PC so as I could enjoy TRAOD in all it's glory.... oh and Doom III when it comes out - but don't tell Eidos

My saturday afternoon was full of joy wrestling the motherboard into a tiny space left by my insignificant 'other' mobo, only to find I had to remove it again in order to fit the memory.... well I forgot didn't I....

Well a couple of hours later, there it was, my new PC..... It didn't look anything like the picture though... oh no, that was the Big Mac I had later........

Up and running, the PC did showeth its power... and subsequently crashed to a lower resolution. What!!!... I followed all the intructions to the letter... wait a minute, that was from from my ex..

Well I had to do it... test it with every game I could muster.... but still it would crash back to a lo res screen.

So I updated all possible drivers... but alas, still the lo res.

I contacted ATI, I contacted MSI, and I contacted GOD, well a prayer could help at this point couldn't it

I followed their instruction but still no joy. and up until last week it was still crashing back to a ..... yes you've got it..... A LO RES SCREEN!!

Then, out of the blue after talking about it to dear Kev, I happend to say that I'd done everything I could, and updated everything I could and renewed everything I could.... but then {{PING}} it happened.... The modem was as old as the hils and XP had found it's own drivers for it, so could it be.....

I changed the modem for a new model, and would you believe it.... It stopped crashing, no more lo res screen and has been the best PC anyone could ever want since.

dhama is smiling again now...... and the moral of this story; "Don't count your IRQ's before your files have batched" - good night..

It can't have a been a bad driver that was causing all the problems? Can it? I mean how would it affect your PC as a whole?

Or was the last sentence a reference to an IRQ conflict?

Grey Mouser Guest

Re: In search of the golden hiccup!!!

Originally posted by dhama
    dhama is smiling again now...... and the moral of this story; "Don't count your IRQ's before your files have batched" - good night..
    This is excellent advice

Frighten PC Users Mode On!

MunkeeChum - heck yes, a 'bad' driver can mess up your whole PC!

For example I recently installed DirectX 9.0a on a 'Below min-spec' system (for AOD) running Windows ME, and an old ATI Rage Pro video card/Aureal Vortex sound card (both of which are DirectX 6 compliant, or at best DirectX 7 compliant with beta drivers). The game won't run on that older hardware but I just wanted to see what would happen.

After installing DirectX 9 the PC refused to boot, Blue Screen Of Death and message complaining about 'Missing Resource Files'.

After some sleight-of-paw with an ME boot disk and the MS-DOS prompt I was able to roll the system back to its state from several days earlier (before installing DX 9 - Hooray for 'scanreg/ restore'). Just to see if it were a fluke I reinstalled just DX 9.0a again, and got exactly the same problem.

So I rolled the system back again, got ME booting again, then I uninstalled the Rage Pro, shut the system down, installed a GeForce 2 MX, restarted ME in Safe Mode, installed the current DirectX 9 compliant drivers for the GF2 MX, retarted the system, and then reinstalled DirectX 9.0a...and the system worked fine. It even played AOD on the Aureal Vortex after I lowered the hardware sound acceleration level.

Just to be sure the Rage Pro was not giving up the ghost I put it in another Win 98 test system running DirectX 7.0a...it was fine.

Moral of story: Yes, drivers for video, or sound (or apparently, modems, and by extrapolation, other hardware) that do not support the version of DirectX (or some other feature of the Operating System you have) on your system can cause major problems!

In dhama's case though, it does sound like more of a hardware conflict, as in the Old Modem was conflicting with something XP was asking it to do. Could have been an IRQ conflict, or maybe if it were a really old modem it was trying to use DOS-based drivers that XP does not support.

Frighten PC Users Mode Off!

So yeah...you kinda need to be a little careful when changing anything on your PC, be it hardware or software. Or, you really enjoy breaking things you can get a job in QA/Tech Support!

Re: Re: In search of the golden hiccup!!!

Originally posted by Grey Mouser
    Moral of story: Yes, drivers for video, or sound (or apparently, modems, and by extrapolation, other hardware) that do not support the version of DirectX (or some other feature of the Operating System you have) on your system can cause major problems!
    A bit like washing down a good curry with a pint of lager...

I think as far as the modem was concerned, Win XP decided which driver was best for it, and I just settled for that, not realising it may cause a problem...... It's usually the simplest thing and yet the easist to miss.

That's why my new upgraded puter is still running Win98SE...

My main PC is still on 98SE.. :0

Still waiting for the new one I ordered in May..

But at least it's not crashing as much now that I removed my old modem (don't need it any more anyway)... Now to get the web cam working again.. And the scanner.. And the digital camera.. the bluetooth module... oh yes, the memory stick thingy..

Do I hear "format c:"?????

I'm happy to say that nothing so imminently frustrating has happened to me yet, but I'm holding my breath on this PC. Glad to know it worked out in the end for you.