Thread: Easiest of all the Final Fantasy Games?

Easiest of all the Final Fantasy Games?

Did anyone else think that the low level challenge for Final Fantasy VIII was probably the easiest of the entire lot? I mean, it's rather self-explanatory, but given the fact that the enemies scaled to your level, I was able to beat the final boss at level 7 just a few years ago. How do you guys feel about level scaling in general, and do you think it was a good or bad idea to have it in the first place?

It's an interesting mechanic since it pretty much determines the difficulty of the game. It could end up being the easiest or one of the hardest, but that only applies to people aware of it, which I imagine many (including me the first time) weren't.

I think the mechanic just proves that leveling is only a small piece of gameplay; I've never had too much trouble with any challenges in VIII, but I'd argue that I (ignoring the motonous nature of NES-era grinding), VI, and especially X are easier.

I didn't really mind the level scaling, but at the same time there were some areas where the monsters were obviously stronger than my party. VIII was my favorite game for several reasons, but honestly, I found VII to be the least challenging of any i've played thus far.

Originally Posted by Zachary
    Did anyone else think that the low level challenge for Final Fantasy VIII was probably the easiest of the entire lot? I mean, it's rather self-explanatory, but given the fact that the enemies scaled to your level, I was able to beat the final boss at level 7 just a few years ago. How do you guys feel about level scaling in general, and do you think it was a good or bad idea to have it in the first place?

I think for me, I like more of a challenge these days when it comes to pretty much anything. I feel I have enough games under my belt in the past 26 years of existence, that a good RPG should have a few fights in it that requires some thinking/strategy. Sadly it's not the case too much in most games that I play, as most are geared towards teenagers. And it's not with just the Final Fantasy series as well. I think that they don't add too much stuff that's extremely hard, or where you have to think outside the box, just to defeat an enemy due to the differences in our cultures (U.S. and Japan). All through their school years, they're taught one set way. They're not exactly taught to "think outside the box", and instead learn how things are through a text book, and that's it. It's all rote. For instance: While I was stationed in Yokosuka, I got engaged to a JN (Japanese National). She was 26 when I was 20. She had a four-year degree, and worked at a large bank near Tokyo. One day, she was washing clothes and the washer stopped. It had filled with water, (like normal) and was in the middle of a load of clothes. She did the normal thing anyone would do. She made sure it was plugged in, looked for any signs of tampering with the switches to make sure they were still in the right settings, then opened it and stared at it for a second trying to will it to work...She picked up the phone and called her apartment manager to report it. I was gone to get some food ( Yoshinoya!!! God I miss that! ), and came back to hear what was going on. Both, her, and the landlord came to the conclusion that it was broken based on the evidence at hand. I noticed it was making a weird "buzzing" noise that sounded really familiar, and reached my hand down to the bottom. Sure enough, a pant leg had wrapped around the "spinner" thingy really tight, wedging a part of seem into the small gap at the bottom. I pulled it out, and it started working again.

From my understanding of this, their line of problem solving is very text-book like. Not only is it based on what I have seen, but from the various things I have read while there, and of course, learning through Chie herself. Something doesn't work-->check plug-->stare-->it's broke-->call someone/get it fixed. That's what problem solving is for them. Doing things that are not like this, not considered normal, thinking outside the box is not something they can do. It's just how they're raised versus people here in the U.S. who, from a very early age, are taught to solve their own problems and are encouraged to figure things out theirselves.

From a game standpoint, level scaling is a perfect example of this mentality. It offers a modest challenge using the tools/skills you have at that very moment in a game to overcome the obstacle. You don't have to figure out special ways to beat random enemies, or a Boss. You have all the tools you need at your disposal. They'd freak out if say, Post-Game XIII, they encountered Omega Weapon with Long Gui's HP, Str. and Mag., allowed no de-buffs, had a costant Haste and had a skill/spell that could easily get rid of all buffs once the AI detected them up. Sounds like a good fight to me. lol But to them, that would be a nightmare. Not all, sure. But the vast majority would probably rage/complain (especially if a Trophy was attached to it) about it and we wouldn't see that in a game again for awhile.

FFX was by far the easiest game, but if you are talking purely story line all Final Fantasy games are easy. Final Fantasy becomes difficult whenever you attempt to battle the secret or special boss in any of their games. Generally the hardest monstrs in FF games are not mandatory and therefore most players never beat them. When looking at it that way Final Fantasy VIII had one of the hardest bosses for a storyline out of any Final Fantasy game, however every Final Fantasy game has harder bosses if you look for them and are ready to take them on.

When I first played FFVIII I didn't know much about the Junction system so I pretty much played through the game without equiping Magic and I didn't draw magic from monsters and such, I missed out on alot of Guardian Forces but I was a kid. But now going back to play thru it feels a little easier but that's cause I know what to expect and how to properly equip my party and make sure my GF's got all of the SP they need to become stronger.

I honestly feel that FF7 is easier to grasp and do well in... FF8 becomes easy once you figure it out, but the act of figuring it out is more of a challenge than 7 was... maybe its just me. When I was a kid, like summoner I did not know how to junction, and i actually quit the game early.. didn't have nearly that much trouble with 7 a week later.

Well, aside from the level scaling, once I figured out how to junction properly, I was pretty overpowered compared to the other monsters in the game. Sure, Omega Weapon was a challenge, bit it was more of a time-sinker. The rest was simple.

The only bit that is any more challenging than a normal playthrough of VIII in a LLC is the Omega Weapon - no matter what, he is always lvl 100. The rest of the enemies are either the same difficulty no matter what your level, or sometimes even easier because at lower levels they don't have access to their strongest spells. I think a lot of the repliers here missed the Low Level Challenge part of the OP.

I did miss that! to answer his question, my own opinion about level scalling is varied... sometimes, it keeps a challenge in the game regardless of level but at the same time, at one point we want to know our work has made us OP... I think FF8 did this well. I like the system used in KH as well, where certain events cause more powerful enemies to appear in every world for end game levelling. A game that I actually don't like level scalling in is Skyrim, where the bandits who attack you randomly become a stronger type of enemy as the game progresses, but by level 50 all the skills that my build makes regular use of are maxed, and the skills I need to level in order to continue increasing my overall level are too weak to work at all against these new enemies.

Maybe not the best example... but it was what came to mind.

My first time playing I was completely unaware that you could Draw GF's from Bosses, and since I never actually Drew anything from Bosses I never figured it out. I finished the game with the 3 initial GF's and next-to-top tier Magic, using mostly Limit Breaks of course :P

Only fight in this game I've never completed (FYI, I've replayed this about 5-6 times) is Omega Weapon

Am not sure about easily beating the game at level 7 is possible, you certainly couldnt have run from that many fights, VIII is pretty long, and after the lunar cry, the monsters get a hell of a lot stronger without regard to your level, I know this because the first time I played VIII, I breezed through it and was completely decimated after the lunar, had to restart the game cos I just couldnt manage and I had overwritten my previous saves. X for me was the easiest, finished it in under 3 days(just story) on my 3rd playthrough.

How the hell did you keep your characters at level 7?

I actually think FF7 was easier than FF8. Sephiroth is weak compared to Ultimecia, the only hard part of that game is the weapons. But even FF8 has ultima and omega weapon.

FINAL FANTASY 8 just turn your characters extremely overpowered than anything else when you learn everything.

If you abuse the junction system and spend hours getting the good magic, yes it will be very easy. Otherwise, it isn't. The easiest Final Fantasy in my opinion is 6.

Easiest_of_all_the_Final_Fantasy_Games

FF2.

Yea it's pretty easy. I'm playing it now with my vita. I play it for the story.

The bug is strange and weird to say that Final Fantasy 8 Game mood and capricious and in order to illustrate the Semester Valnachz this example. Some monsters are strong and fierce in the stage and maybe if Qament Bhazeemtk and prepared to play with the same opponent might kill him simply and also the materials and equipment that you take as a reward after the end of each battlechanged even played with the same opponent twice in a row and finally when you play card games with the same player Tg

Group may be right with low rate may be able to win easily but the piece depends on the quality of the opponent.Sure you can do piece at the beginning of the play, but later I do not know???.Currently I play 8 It is better to be life and energy rates you high team and the closer of the 10,000 was the best.But I Ask of it's easy to say you finished Aalmarkh with Altima + older brother Omega?????

Take on Omega Weapon at level 7 and tell me again ;-) His level is always @ 100

Originally Posted by Godfrey

Take on Omega Weapon at level 7 and tell me again ;-) His level is always @ 100

Actually, it's possible to do that.

Doesn't Omega deal 9999 dmg no matter what level the characters are anyway? If you have enough of the right items and certain spells junctioned, even a level 7 party can take down anything in that game. From what I can recall though, there were some battles that yielded exp I believe you 'had' to win in order to advance the story. One example is: The part where you return to Balamb Garden and find it under attack. Some of those monsters that appear in each section of the Garden are high exp-yielding monsters. Now, it's been a while since I've played FF8. So, could someone please confirm this for me?

HMMM no you don´t need more important is lv your guardian force,craft magic from items and probably THE NO.1 Get the rare cards from all top players and craft them.

Like cc club and Queen of cards on disc 4

Originally Posted by alanman178

Doesn't Omega deal 9999 dmg no matter what level the characters are anyway? If you have enough of the right items and certain spells junctioned, even a level 7 party can take down anything in that game. From what I can recall though, there were some battles that yielded exp I believe you 'had' to win in order to advance the story. One example is: The part where you return to Balamb Garden and find it under attack. Some of those monsters that appear in each section of the Garden are high exp-yielding monsters. Now, it's been a while since I've played FF8. So, could someone please confirm this for me?

Omega does 9998 to the entire party, so having 9999 HP is a must. He also does 9999 to one party member. It is possible to have 9999 HP at level 7 with the proper magic junctions and GF abilities.

This guide explains it all, there's a section on how to avoid getting experience (for example by using the Card command):

www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197343-/faqs/19814

Of course, this is only suitable for those who already finished the game and know well about its mechanics. Not easy but possible.