I know all of you understand what The Matrix is, but let me explain the others for you if you do not understand either before I go on to my topic of choice. .hack//sign (Pronounced dot hack sign) is simply a dubbed, animated series that takes place around the year 2010. The setting is, interestingly enough, inside a MMORPG that is played using goggles that receive and transmit data directly from the human nervous system by sending signals via the retina's. Although the series itself is increasingly complex, the basic theme of the game is Fantasy. Think Everquest if you cannot get a hold of what I am trying describe.

3001: The Final Odessey is simply a book about the respective year written by the highly acclaimed Science Fiction writer Arthur C. Clarke. The reason I bring this one up? Like .hack//sign and The Matrix, people can plug their nervous systems directly into some sort of computer. This time, through a chip installed on the skull called a Brain Cap.

Before I continue, I would also like to note on how these work. Quite obviously, they would all have to use very advanced nano-chip technology. Namely Geranium computer chips manufactured on the moon. Using this, it is a simple matter of gettinga computer powerful enough to translate the brain's signals without damaging the human itself. Everything, absolutely everything is broken down into small bits of memory at one point in our brain. I'm guessing it's something quite like binary code, although it would have to be fairly large!

Now, why do I collect all these certain characteristics of these certain series together now? Because I find all quite fascinating in those qualities. While .hack//sign strictly limits the, "Neuro Linkage" to a very lucrative form of entertaiment, 3001 and the Matrix expand them to learning as well. This brings me to the reason why I'd like to share this on the forum: What would you think this technology should, or could be used for?

Me? I think it should be used strictly for learning purposes. Too much entertaiment would draw a person from reality if the computer processing the memory were strong enough to produce realism on a scale not seen anywhere, save for very well funded movies. However, this does not prevent you from seeing the battle of Gettysburg or the wonders of the Atlantic Ocean in full detail.