Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soul Reaver 1 Menu Screen

Mr. Milky, given she's Vorador's mystery woman and he's, by the time of SR1, centuries past, I'd say highly unlikely.

Er, to Corlagon: *insert catalogued reply here*

The 8th figure represents you, the player of the game. That's why it's so androgynous.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSquid View Post
    The 8th figure represents you, the player of the game. That's why it's so androgynous.
    I don't think that's the case. Mainly because this is a game with a lot of dedication and, thank god, no empty androgynous avatars. Besides, the story-line follows Raziel and as Eaziel realizes things - so do we throughout the monologues and dialogues.

@The Hylden : I hear you, but chronological factors are of no issue here. It's a stone figure. Just a speculation about the pre-released mystery character from the menu screed and given the fact that Voradors mystery woman is quite a resemblance given the facial contour, I used it.
    Also, why would he / she be holding the head of a vampire (presumably Zephon)?
    I'd like to see your speculation, for a change, instead of constructive criticism.
    Also, I don't want that anyone get the idea of a debate here, my goal is to make this thread a bit more challenging for some imaginative mind

You were just offered a chance to have a statue of yourself standing alongside vampire lieutenants and you rejected it. Just think about that the next time nobody builds a statue of you.

Also,
    It's the priestess.

Quote Originally Posted by hippiechk View Post
    The 8th Figure on the menu for Soul Reaver
    The figure at the top right is Raziel. In his vampiric form, his eyes are blue and he loses his lower jaw.
    The figure to the left, centre of the top row, is Kain. He is the focal point of the picture and is the most imposing figure there.
    The figure at top left is Dumah. He was one of the eldest of the brothers and his sharing the top area with Kain and Raziel makes sense.
    The bearded figure just below and to the right of Kain is Turel. His vampiric form has the longest ears and his position at Kains feet mirrors that in the game (according to deleted material).
    Rahab and Zephon are more interchangeable.
    I think that the one in human clothes to be Zephon (due to his use of the cathedral as his home) and Rahab to be the one just below Dumah.
    Now, there is two figures left, both bald. Melchiah was bald so he must be one of them.
    Now, Melchiah is the youngest so he is more likely to be the one near the bottom, covering his face with his hands.
    The one below Kain, the figure looking off to one side is, as yet, unidentified. It cannot be one of the Elite 6 which Kain raised nor Kain himself, as they have all been accounted for.
    It is indeed a vampire so this limits who it could be.
    It could be Janos or Vorador, but this is highly unlikely as they have very distinctive looks.
    It could be that Kain raised one other vampire and hide that from everyone (somehow). This raises some interesting issues for the future...
    Or it could be a simple mistake on behalf of the developers, a left over portion of story that was abandoned...
    Not sure, but I like the idea that Kain had another son. ^_^ It's pretty unlikely, but it would be rather funny if 'Vastian' was really in the LoK storyline...
    Malek? He had a grave with the rest in the Tomb of the Sarafan, there were seven tombs there.
    Well...it sounds possible, but first of all, they all have a vampiric stage in the picture, Malek is no vampire. His body was in his bastion as well. Why would Kain raise Malek, a Guardian? Would it be possible after Mortanius' punishment?
    Hey, maybe it's Morlock? He could have been the first vampire raised by the brothers...it would explain why you get a power from a 'normal' vampire...
    Marcus was bald. He had ability to possess the minds of mortals. Kain tried to kill him. Failed. Succeeds later in the Cathedral.

Problem Solve Coagula.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSquid View Post
    I really doubt that. This isn't Metal Gear Solid 2. The Legacy of Kain series doesn't play with post-modernism and metafiction. Symbology, sure, but not in that kind. It's most likely that all of these guys are supposed to represent something about the story and mythos itself, and very likely specific characters.

Sorry for the bump, but...
    Anyone notice the wings on the upper right figure? Definitely Raziel.

Custer - the face alone is a dead giveaway that its raz.
    "are you trying to bore me into submission?" ~ Raziel/Defiance
    signature image

Sure, but in the actual game the figure's face & hair are different. While the wings are still there.

I can't believe I didn't notice those wings....

They still exist in the final version. That and his blue eyes always made me think of him as Raziel, but I somehow couldn't treat the remaining characters as other vampires because the extra figure was ruining the whole concept.

And looking at this early images I have to agree that it probably is the Priestess.

Quote Originally Posted by Custer View Post
    Sorry for the bump, but...
    Anyone notice the wings on the upper right figure? Definitely Raziel.
    Of course... also the flag on his hands, "dark tears" representing "agony", not being as aggressive as the rest of his "brothers" who are a clear symbol of either greed, hunger or just plain good ol' vampire syndrome

But, I don't see sexy ladies in red... so...

also the flag on his hands
    Damn! I just noticed that.

(click image to enlarge)

Here's a little Photoshop edit I made, one half showing all faces sad, and the other half shows them happy

Looking at the face on the left side and in the middle of the screen (in terms of up and down)

This one is more effeminate than the others while in human form, and when red-eyed "she" still doesn't display fangs. Priestess

Then there's the bottom left statue who's wearing some ridiculous school uniform from the 1700s. That one might be a cross-dresser, or one of those adults with a diaper fetish....... Melchiah?

What´s more interesting that the figure on the middle left has white eyes in SR Beta, so maybe it is the Priestess..

I am totally performing thread necromancy, because heck, it's not often one can see a thread that was started due to a question I asked, getting an answer a good 9-10 years later.
    Completely forgot my password for the account that I used to make my first (and only) post in this thread though, and the e-mail I used then is defunct too, which is a shame.

So, the conclusion is that it does seem solid that the original pre-release menu had one of the deleted bosses, IE, the priestess, included. This meant there was 8 figures on the menu, and when they switched to the updated version with all vampires, they didn't change this even though it meant there was an unexplained additional figure.
    Case closed, as far as I'm concerned.

(Though arguments about which figure represents which brother are clearly never going to be entirely settled. I personally stand by Zephon being the one in fancy clothing, due to the parallel to him 'clothing' himself in the silenced cathedral. Plus, the youngest, Melchiah being ashamed of himself in the bottom right is perfect to me too. )

Quote Originally Posted by FFKonoko2 View Post
    Though arguments about which figure represents which brother are clearly never going to be entirely settled.
    Sure they are
    "A return to Nosgoth is not necessarily always welcome: only the attainment of that final gnosis will satisfy us." – Sam Zucchi

Quote Originally Posted by Aevum View Post
    I happily stand corrected, then.
    (Especially since it turns out I pegged all of the brothers correctly back in 2003. )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12