Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last

Thread: What was the best thing in original DX?

What was the best thing in original DX?

What was the best thing in original DX?

For me it was the huge cities full of secrets, they were fun to explore while tracing people you had to find. Cities added lots of credibility to the game.

Also missions like escaping from the prison and infiltrate mission to that secret underground lab in Hong Kong was fun.

Now im kinda worried after reading DX2 interviews that DX2 would be simplified and more centralized around the missions? Less detective work and more shooting, and no more big cities.

Combat in the original was quite fun sometimes, but it was not the reason why the game was so great, i liked the time between missions more than than the missions itself. And fighting againts robots and monsters was kinda dull. Secret underground military bases are rather boring enviroment too, i liked the fighting in streets of New York, or Hong Kong more. If i want good shooter in boring tunnels there is lots of other games to choose from.

Anyway ill hope im wrong, and DX2 will be more than ordinary shooter with complicated missions and different endings.

I liked everything about Hong Kong. It was just an awesome level. The exploration, the market, the club, Tonnochi Road, etc. It was all good. Sadly, it looks like that will be gone in DX2, as it does appear to have turned into nothing but another FPS game with little actual content.
    http://thevoid.fpinteractive.com/sigs/ZeroLogo.jpg
    Click Here to take the Idiot Test!

Zero: I strongly agree with you here. I REALLY like Hong Kong in DX1. I dont understand how they can surgically remove aspects like this from a game then claim they arent dumning it down. But, hey, who knows - if we are lucky, maybe there will be a Hub City (or cities) that you get to visit every now and again to get your RPG on. The release is still a ways off and what was at E3 was not near completion. Alot of key things werent properly implemented and they just wanted to show what they had more for marketting purposes to get the name of their game out there. Lets cross our fingers. Also, notice the game isnt called Deus Ex 2 anymore. This doesnt bode well for us but..oh well.

Yes, release still is a ways away. I've heard September at this point, so I've got my money on November or December. That's plenty of time for Ion Storm to realize what's going on and turn the game around. And there's still a chance that the new style will work out, albeit a small one... I've got my fingers crossed.
    http://thevoid.fpinteractive.com/sigs/ZeroLogo.jpg
    Click Here to take the Idiot Test!

Everything in the game was great. It wasn't a game were you had to shoot al the time it was more about searching a solution to that 1 question you had to solve. Yep sometimes there were boring parts like in every other game i guess. But after reading some information about DX2 i found out that DX2 is going to be more about shooting and lesser about solving things I just hope it isn't going to be like that.

O yeah I also made a site about deus ex just go check it out here it is
    http://www.macdeusex.cjb.net/
    see ya

i loved the general atmosphere and the fact that there was a story to be unraveled.....
    a voice that guides you, but who is it?
    and then the setting of the levels, some were really good and i liked the NPC's ...
    things happen around you as well.. nice to see for a change...
    Hong Kong was cool yes
    I also liked the RPG elements in them, upgrading etc....
    all in all a good combo and a great game

Post Little Billy's fate

Innocent bystanders. I think some people can agree with me. Those kids and bums and frenchies didnt really think they could live if they talked to a testosterone charged male with control of an arsenal of mass destruction. That kid who wanted MY chocolate bar instead got two in the face. I mean, my god! Give me the info or get out of my way!
    TPS reports must die!!!!

yeah, i really loved the number of ways you could take a mission. There were usually 3 different ways you could enter a building, etc. You guys are really worrying me about this all shooter no exploring.

Thumbs Up interactivity++

The absolute best thing about the game was being able to "talk" to people, and piece together what was going on from the snippets of information they'd give.
    And some of them would say the most hilarious things if you persisted and kept on "talking" to them.

That and being able to hack computers and read books, notes, and newspaper articles. All the little details that made the gameworld more realistic. Shooting things was ok, but playing detective and uncovering secrets and conspiracies was much more interesting.

One of my favorite levels was the Versalife one where you can go undercover with a faked pass and actually interact with the enemy. Man, the first time I played it I kept waiting for them to figure out who I was and revoke that pass! Twitching nerves--Too cool!

--

roomba

Yep exactly, the thing that made DX so good (the central part that made it good) were the big realistic "youarefreetodowhatyouwant" cities.
    Not missions or levels.
    The parts of the game that sucked where the missionlike levels at the end.
    If Deus Ex becomes like that i'll not buy it. (and i waited for a year for DX2 now.) and i'll have to talk to my friends not to buy it, they'd be mad with me cause i told em the game gonna be great and then they find out it's just a new shooter.

Deus Ex 2 won't just be a dumbass shooter, it might be a bit more simplified than DX1, but I think'll it'll still be a top-class stealth/rpg/fps game. I really liked New York in the original, it was so seedy and dark. It was a bit dissapointing that the story didnt really change that dramatically depending on your choices, I mean at the end of the day the choice between the 3 endings was determined in the last half hour, not throughout the game. I mean in terms of the story very little changed from saving Paul.

Ah, for me it was that place called the Lucky Money Club. I would gather up all of the booze and wine in the Club and the Mart next ot it. All of the booze would cover the entire mart floor. Then i drink it all. There would be blackouts and i would be soooooo drunk that i culd wander around and be doing zigzgas. Also the total "drunk time" would be over half an hour. But really i love the entire game(minus the catacombs, though i am now getting better at them). The first game kicked so much arse. I just hope that Deus Ex Invisable War wont be a stupid shooter. If i wanted that(and i do, but not from Warren Spector, he is above that) i would go get Doom 3(which I will). I would hate if Half-Life 2 pulled infront of Invisable War in the interactiveness and storyline. Come on Warren, dont let us down(or there will be adrive by WP GEPing).
    Better then kings, gods

The best thing about Deus Ex that I love is Augmentations, Hookers, and Nightclubs.

Re: interactivity++

Originally posted by roomba
    The absolute best thing about the game was being able to "talk" to people, and piece together what was going on from the snippets of information they'd give.
    And some of them would say the most hilarious things if you persisted and kept on "talking" to them.

That and being able to hack computers and read books, notes, and newspaper articles. All the little details that made the gameworld more realistic. Shooting things was ok, but playing detective and uncovering secrets and conspiracies was much more interesting.

One of my favorite levels was the Versalife one where you can go undercover with a faked pass and actually interact with the enemy. Man, the first time I played it I kept waiting for them to figure out who I was and revoke that pass! Twitching nerves--Too cool!
    I agree with him ^ I had forgotten about the whole versalife infiltration thing. That was cool as hell. The whole part about being able to walk around without any trouble unless you started trouble was pretty cool. And man was I on my best behavior when I first hit the streets of Hong Kong.. Crowded and all those people ready with guns made me nervous Of course by the end of the level I was such a bad ass I didn't bother worrying and broke in to that convenience store right in front of those Hong Kong Police... great game..

I have to replay that one.. and I don't typically replay games since I'm usually pretty thorough about exploring on the first run and I just lose interest once I've learned all the secrets already

Originally posted by Zero
    I liked everything about Hong Kong. It was just an awesome level. The exploration, the market, the club, Tonnochi Road, etc. It was all good. Sadly, it looks like that will be gone in DX2, as it does appear to have turned into nothing but another FPS game with little actual content.
    I kind of hope you don't mean EVERYTHING about it, I mean the voice acting in that level is some of the worst I've ever heard!!

Big Grin

For me it was not only the MJ12 HQ and the Hong Kong levels but the different ways you could go about them. Like in the final 'Ton level After I slaughtered all the police and military soldiers and 'bots there was one civillian still alive (a thug) and was following me. I would haul ass around the corner with the speed enchancement and I would look back and he would be following me. It scared the hell out of me I thought it was Simons and was not about to let him get close. So I hopped back on to the fire escape and went to the roof. Where I proceeded to fire down on him with my assault rifle...and killed him outright. I went down to the ground and checked him out...was not Simons...oh wow. But he scared the hell out of me. That is what I really liked about Deus Ex.
    My cat's breath smells like cat food.

Thumbs Up Awesome "scenes"

There was so much great stuff, but here's some of my favorites:

• Great gameplay length. I loved the fact that when I was afraid it was about to be over it kept right on going. I wanted it to last forever!

• Some fantastic movie-like scenes that happened constantly. An example and one of my favorites:
    In the Lucky Money Club I was at the bar when the MJ12 Commandos stormed in. It was my first time playing DX, and I was freaked out! People were running everywhere in a panic (later I cracked up when I found them all gathered in the men's bathroom). I saw a Commando across the room start to raise his weapon and fire and I barely had time to duck behind the bar as I hear the missile explode behind me. In desperation, I got my dragon-tooth sword out and, still ducking behind the counter, started swinging as soon as I saw his feet. To my surprise and relief, a couple whacks and he was dead.

• Getting to explore, go back to "finished" parts of levels, getting to take all the backdoors, vents, and sewer tunnels I wanted to. Finding new ways of taking out my enemies.

• Lots of fun stuff to mess with after I "seriously" played a level. I know exactly what you mean, Mamlikat, when you say how fun it is too throw stuff at people. Whether it's stacking a bunch of pillows on Lebedev's head, or throwing stuff at the UNATCO front desk guy (he doesn't mind until you throw something heavy like the trophy at him, as my sister found out).

Post fun stuff

in one part of Liberty island there are two terrorists talking about Gunter ... man, I threw my whole inwentory at those guys .. I had such a laugh cuz they cept on looking and wondering ... even a gun did not make them redecide ... they thought it is just a homeless guy, man, but sometimes homeless guys carry LAMs ... like the one at the underground access station LoL

Post I recon

The Best Thing Was The Augumentations.

my site

As I play it over, the best thing about it is that it came out when it did, the AI is so stupid as to be laughable, I really thought it had good AI back in the day.

The actual segment of the game that I liked was Paris. To me, Paris has a better city environment that New York and Hong Kong.

That said, I really would have liked to see the ruins of Los Angeles, instead of just hearing it mentioned in newspapers and public terminals.

Lightbulb the best thing

anyway you look at the game backgroung stays the same

the long without end story includes so many different things, just some ppl have some parts better than others, but all in all the long game

PS if EIDOS include cheats in the game, I would definately check out "Spawn Lara Croft" cheat

well, it is the story that i liked most bout this game. hthe game also have the element of coolness in it. the way the agents wear, especially jc and simons. they just looked cool. looks like neo from matrix, haha

Thereisnospoon

choices

The best part about the game was being about to take so many paths (although they usually ended up coming back together eventually). For example, when your on the plane with Anna you can kill her, do nothing, or kill the guy you're supposed to. Don't you just love planting a LAM right on the door, so when Anna tries to walk in....BAM

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last