Page 2 of 2 First First 12

Thread: Chrono Cross is Better than Chrono Trigger

Chrono Cross is Better than Chrono Trigger

having played Chrono Trigger way back on the SNES in 1996, it will always be considered "EPIC" to me. While I love Chrono Cross as well, but somewhere deep down inside I wished it wasn't branded a "chrono" game. If it was called Radical Dreamers+ I think then I would call it another EPIC masterpiece. The burden with making a chrono game is the overwhelming hype and the extreme fanatical love/anticipation of another Epic masterpiece. With that said, yes I was disappointed with Chrono Cross simply because it did not live up to the expectations for a chrono game. But at the same time I truly did enjoy Chrono Cross.

Originally Posted by Mouse

having played Chrono Trigger way back on the SNES in 1996, it will always be considered "EPIC" to me. While I love Chrono Cross as well, but somewhere deep down inside I wished it wasn't branded a "chrono" game. If it was called Radical Dreamers+ I think then I would call it another EPIC masterpiece. The burden with making a chrono game is the overwhelming hype and the extreme fanatical love/anticipation of another Epic masterpiece. With that said, yes I was disappointed with Chrono Cross simply because it did not live up to the expectations for a chrono game. But at the same time I truly did enjoy Chrono Cross.

same sentiments. started playing in the 1990s with SNES as well. Chrono Cross was pretty disappointing compared to trigger. Nevertheless both is great.

Chrono-Cross has the benefit of better technology when it was created, leading to better sounding music and more impressive graphics.

However, in terms of story, content, and characters Chrono-Trigger is the clear winner. CT had just the right number of characters with interesting back-stories such that it was easy to attach to the characters... CC had so many characters that I just started assuming that everyone I met was going to join my party... couldn't attach to the characters... lost interest in playing the game 3/4 of the way through or so. But CT, I played all the way through several times and got to see well over 30 different endings. CT was a classic, CC was a poor attempt at reclaiming that glory.

I liked both, but I wish square would have kept the tie-in to ct that was originally in Radical Dreamers. Finding out that Guile was actually Magus would have been a sweet plot twist!

Chrono Cross is a great game, but I think Chrono Trigger was just the perfect package. I think being such a tight production helped with making CT the game it was, and CC lacked that and it shows. CT basically was to the point, trimmed the unneeded fat and was well balanced. CC had a bunch of unneeded characters with little to no actual development or contribution to the actual story other than being "additional party members), and the story was kinda jumbled. I think Kato is a great writer who, but is too ambitious for his own good. That sort of "raw power" only works best when it's contained and it's emission's supervised(like CT). When he goes crazy, you get CC(or even Radical Dreamers). Insidently, I feel the same for Toriyama regarding the FFXIII games. He's also a type that too ambitious for his own good, though I think he needs more bottling and direction than Kato does.

I agree hahaha

But I love Chrono Trigger too.

It is not better ( or worse ). It's different made. CT is a heroic fantasy, heroes ( Crono, Frog, Layla, Robo and so on ) vs big evil monster Lavos. In CC is more as playing with possibilities and choices and not so simple. Destroying human made Goddes of Fate bring back dragon god and his goal is erasing humanity. Putting aside number of recruitable character ( even more as in Suikoden >_< ) both games are great. And made together great serie about troubles if someone try correct time.

Originally Posted by Lady_Ayeka
    It is not better ( or worse ). It's different made. CT is a heroic fantasy, heroes ( Crono, Frog, Layla, Robo and so on ) vs big evil monster Lavos. In CC is more as playing with possibilities and choices and not so simple. Destroying human made Goddes of Fate bring back dragon god and his goal is erasing humanity. Putting aside number of recruitable character ( even more as in Suikoden >_< ) both games are great. And made together great serie about troubles if someone try correct time.
    I agree. I just wish I could play CC on Steam or a PC port. I really miss the beauty and atmosphere CC offered. I would love to see the revitalized.

I absolutely love these 2 games and comparing them is a bit tough, I loved being the center of it all in CC but I loved being to sideline guy in CT as well. The Idea of Crono's death and the purpose of the Chrono Trigger was the most epic storytelling ever but yes CC had it's epic moments as well so I really can't choose between them.
    I still wish for another sequel but I hope we at least get a CC port for mobiles

Page 2 of 2 First First 12