Thread: Penniless student seeks an answer....

Penniless student seeks an answer....

Rolleyes Penniless student seeks an answer....

Hi all, I am a bit miffed here.

There are three programs I have that are absolutely necessary, but they're all trials! Two of them are cannot live withouts in my world (and if I had the money to dish, I would) :

Winzip (or even Winrar) - both expired now
    WS_FTP - arrrrrrgg, supposed to free for educational purposes, but when I check that it is for educational purposes (it is, I moderate the website for the university theatre department) and it says I am not qualified! also expired

The other is Paintshop Pro 7, which would take a miracle for me to afford right now. It expires in 7 days and counting.

Does anyone know of good (comparable maybe) products I can get that are freeware without expiration?? I don't know what to do when I must zip missions - and the theatre department is breathing down my neck for an update. Please, somebody, help!

Stick with WinRAR, it only gives you a nag screen after expiration(unless it's changed). Or you could try FreeZIP and lose that extra compression that WinRAR gives you.

WS_FTP, which type of ftp program is it, I forget(server or client). If you need a client ftp program try SmartFTP. Unfortunately I don't know of an ftp server that is freeware.

A pretty good replacement for PSP is the GIMP.

BTW, you should count yourself lucky that you don't need any of the more expensive software. If I were to buy all the software I use for my program it would cost above twenty thousand US dollars, probably a lot above.

Wink Thank you from what's left of the bottom of my heart

I really appreciate it. I am grateful that I don't need more expensive programs - else I'd be S.O.L. I didn't mean to sound like a whining brat or anything - I'm anything but that (kinda )

What kind of stuff do you use anyway? I couldn't imagine needing software that costs that much!
    Is't thou suggesting coconuts MIGRATE, friend?
    ----------------------------------------------
    Lord Maguire Estates Pt.1 - Released 4/03
    Lord Maguire Estates Pt. 2 - 70% completed - Yes, it has changed, I am closer to completion. Now if only life would step out of the way...

High-end engineering software.

You pay a lot when there's no/little competition.

A rather common program in the arts/gaming world is Maya, which costs loads, it used to be $14,000.

G'day Caradavin

Yep, I use WinRAR at work sometimes (although I own Winzip registered), and it only nags, doesn't actually die at the end of the trial period. You should be able to hang onto it, but you have to promise you'll register it when you get your first job out of college/uni!

Seems odd that WS_FTP is dying on you. You may need to see if the uni itself has licences, or even a very cheap site licence you can get. I use CuteFTP, which is nice but costs about 30 bucks or so.

The Gimp for Windows is probably a better graphics editing program than PSP - definitely more powerful - and is completely free (it started open source in Linux and then ported to Windows). It's a bit trickier to lear your way around, but the magic word is 'right-click': do that just about anywhere to get an extensive menu of options.

Hope that's helpful.

See ya,

D

I've installed WS_FTP several times for home use (never as a student) and it works forever - unless they have changed it. Maybe you could download it again under home use conditions.

I thought that WinZip would also go forever with only a nag. Older versions did. I eventually paid the $35 to keep it clean. That license lasts forever with upgrades, and I think it is well worth having.

Seems like the university ought to have site licensed for some basic utilities.

I can't help you with PSP.

Go to WWW.PCPLUS.CO.UK

Tons of free photo, video, FTP and other programs. They are mostly full service programs. Just last years model.

Give it a try. Zip Central. 7Zip among a few. A free WINRAR and lots of other goodies.

BOOK it an check every month. Something new.

Just got a nice GIF program from them last night.

Thumbs Up Oodles of thanks, guys!

You all are so great! (hugs to the lot of you)
    Is't thou suggesting coconuts MIGRATE, friend?
    ----------------------------------------------
    Lord Maguire Estates Pt.1 - Released 4/03
    Lord Maguire Estates Pt. 2 - 70% completed - Yes, it has changed, I am closer to completion. Now if only life would step out of the way...

Hey Caradavin, Huntress asked a question about an FTP package in the Crippled Burrick forum next door, and you might find the answers there useful. I found this:

http://www.ftpx.com/

which seems a lot simpler and more user-friendly than WS_FTP, and is free for home use.

HTH,

Bravus