Page 1 of 8 12345 ... Last

Thread: Square Enix Forums: Feedback (Outdated)

Square Enix Forums: Feedback (Outdated)

Square Enix Forums: Feedback (Outdated)

The information in this thread is outdated.
    ------------

I am browsing with the latest version of Firefox (NoScript and Adblock Plus disabled for testing purposes) on a Windows 7 x64 bit machine.* The forums are kind of laggy, and it takes a few seconds for them to load up whenever I navigate to a sub forum, try to create a post, or edit a post.*

I am not sure if it is just me, or what is going on here?
    Last edited by Grimoire; 18th Nov 2014 at 00:59.

Forum Layout

Please modify the "Recent Topics" on the front page to show ONLY thread titles. There are inevitably going to be spoiler threads to discuss various SE games, and I have no desire to be privy to a major game spoiler just by glancing over to see what has recently been posted.

Keeping the thread titles/last poster/post time is fine, but there is no real reason to display the thread contents, especially when people go to the trouble to list "SPOILERS" in the title...

we also have a spoiler function on the forums.

Type

I've gotten mixed reactions from various users. We'll look into it of course and see what we can do to optimize your experience here.

Yeah, but the problem is that either 1) people either won't use (not maliciously, I hope) or will not know that they exist/how to use, and 2) it only takes one errant post to ruin the ending or storyline of a game, and it would be a shame that that happens because of an errant glance at the 'recent posts' side bar.

For instance, I had the identity of the Origami Killer in Heavy Rain ruined for me in a very similar matter, and it was no one's fault...but there was no real excuse for it.

I would appreciate that, thank you.

Yeah I'm using Google Chrome and it feels laggy too , like after every load I have to wait 10-15 seconds before I can click a link or hit the reply button.

Forum Order Discussions

In continuing my list of suggestions...

Is there anyway we can move the "Community" forum to near the top of the page? I am guessing it is going to be our "general" or "off topic" forum, and it would be nice to have it be more prominent/obvious to see, and so I don't have to scroll all the way down the page below the "album" and "manga" forums in order to get to it...

Its a pure aesthetic decision, I admit...BUUUUT...I would really like it.

Please? Pretty please?

I'm using Firefox and it feels fine for me.

Originally Posted by Phophenomenon

I'm using Firefox and it feels fine for me.

What build are you using? Any specific add ons you are using to increase performance?

I actually agree with your suggestion. It would be easier for users to post on and introduce themselves as well if that's to be the off-topic style of board on these forums.

Plus, everyone knows, the off topic sections get more hits than any other forum sections anyway.

Using this on the latest Chrome Version (19) and the site is laggy. I do have Adblock Plus though, but it shouldn't slow down the site.

Forum Layout Discussions

As a denizen of the internet and a person with some experience in web design, I've been on quite a few forums and have learned what works and what doesn't. That being said, the following isn't meant as a complaint, but rather a means to make the site work better and attract more people to it

I'm not sure by what means this forum has been constructed, but here's what I think would make it a lot cooler!

1) Major Forum sections and Sub Forum sections...

First a pic of what I mean...
    i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc442/JustS...

What this does is allows people to talk about each of the series both in general and about the FF/KH/DQ/etc series and each of their games...

2) Generalization

Here what I mean is this: For a title such as FFVII, allow only a FFVII board instead of separate boards for the compilation, allow all talk about the FFVII universe to go on in that board... FFIV and the after years would be one board, FFX and X-2 would be one board, FFXII and Revenant Wings would be one board, etc...

If in the future the boards become too cluttered because of this, then by all mean add sub sub categories to themselves, but a healthy amount of posts shouldn't be confused with clutter

3) Special Interests boards

"Post Your Fan ___ here", everyone loves sharing work they've done, whether it be artwork, music, writings, it makes for a board people want to come back to

----------------

Things like that would make the site quite a bit more enjoyable though

Originally Posted by Nights

I am browsing with the latest version of Firefox (NoScript and Adblock Plus disabled for testing purposes) on a Windows 7 x64 bit machine. The forums are kind of laggy, and it takes a few seconds for them to load up whenever I navigate to a sub forum, try to create a post, or edit a post.

This is happening for me as well, and I am using exactly same as above, latest version, Same NoScript and Adblock Plus disabled, and on windows 7 x64 bit machine. There is some what a lag.

Originally Posted by Isaiah

Originally Posted by Nights

I am browsing with the latest version of Firefox (NoScript and Adblock Plus disabled for testing purposes) on a Windows 7 x64 bit machine. The forums are kind of laggy, and it takes a few seconds for them to load up whenever I navigate to a sub forum, try to create a post, or edit a post.

This is happening for me as well, and I am using exactly same as above, latest version, Same NoScript and Adblock Plus disabled, and on windows 7 x64 bit machine. There is some what a lag.

I switched machines to one that runs Vista (yeah...) 64 bit and tried Firefox again with Adaware and NoScript disabled, and still a bit laggy.

Originally Posted by Thomas

Plus, everyone knows, the off topic sections get more hits than any other forum sections anyway.

This.

Come on admins! I will feed your chicobos for a week if you do it!

I'm using Firefox 9.X and with Ad-Block Plus enabled and am running a Windows XP machine with 2 Gigs RAM and 1.20 GHz of CPU and only 32 bit (yeap, I'm on an older machine) and yeap, the forums and the SE website on a whole is rather laggy for me. Without Ad-Block Plus, it is still as laggy and using Chrome doesn't do me any additional favors.

In my case, the site and forums simply load slow and the general outline of everything will show at first and then after a few moments, the entire page will load.

But to be honest, this lag was a major major problem I was experiencing with the older website, too, so despite this lag, I actually see that there is improvement.

Post your suggestions here that can make the SE forum a fun and easy to manage with, while it is under maintenance.

One of my suggestions is to assign a maximum of 2 members to moderate per subforum. I'm not talking about picking random members to moderate, but rather people who are helping the specific subforum in the main game itself. And also, the purpose of moderators is to unclutter the respective forums they moderate, to keep it clean and away from trolls.

My other suggestion is that you can have your own profile page. Yeah, like Facebook. That way, we could update our status and subscribe to some fellow members that deem our likings, thus making this forums a helping hand.

I think at the moment the forums are a bit laggy for my tastes. I know they just came up and everything is new and squeaky :P But posting/loading needs to be a bit faster =]

And maybe a chat room? That'd be neat

Concerning Forum Posts

Just wanted to bring up some things related to posting that I'm unsure is working as intended.

<ul>[*]There's a difference between posting for a new topic and editing a post/quick-replying. New topics can be entirely single-spaced, while quick reply and post editing double-spaces between paragraphs. I think it's this discrepancy which is causing the formatting of one particular post I've done to be messed up.[*]Posters are able to edit and delete their topics initially after creation, but this function only lasts until the first reply is made.[/list]

>> the first part is something we'll look into. Now that lots of members are posting on the forums we're going to look into how posts look under different layouts and how members prefer to formulate their conversations. We'll implement some polish on the formatting that I'm hoping will resolve your concern over time.

>> the second part is pretty consistent with how we'd like to operate, editing or deleting a post for a new topic should only apply if the topic was made in error, but once someone replies to it, it's an established thread, and moderators are then the only ones capable of making significant changes. We'll take in feedback on this however and make adjustments if necessary.

feel free to add more suggestions, but I'm going to move this thread to the Square Enix Members Feedback Forum

Sounds great!

The first part is really appreciated. I personally prefer not having the auto double-space active, but I'm OK to go along with whatever ends up being established. As for the second, I had a gut feeling that the answer was something like what you described to me but I felt it would be good to make sure: as a visitor and sometime-mod of various forums over the years I can see your reasoning behind it.

Believe it or not, though, there's a part 3 I forgot to add. In terms of reporting posts, which I admit is something I don't tend to want to do very often, the buttons to send or cancel the report seem to not be working (comes up javascript;void when I hover over them), and sometimes, trying to move the position of the type cursor causes the contents of the report description to be erased.

Thank you, and thanks in advance!

Yes, a mini chatroom

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... Last