Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tomb Raider 2 Music Problems!

At the risk of repeating something I didn't take the time to read above, and assuming the audio track are actually on the CD as they should be (This CoKem oufit sounds shady, no?):

1. Check to make sure there is physically an audio cable coming out the back of your CDROM drive, to your sound card or motherboard if it has onboard sound. If regular Audio CDs play normally, then it's there. This is the little thin one, not the wide ribbon cable. It is usually on the left side of the CDROM, looking at it from the back, like so:

| --A---RRRRRRRR--PP- |

A = audio cable plug in
    R = Wide ribbon cable
    P = smaller Power plug

2. Install and Run Tomb Raider x from the first/lowest letter drive.

np, Dino - I'm at a loss here, myself

I can't speak for anybody else, but I have two cd audio cables, one for each drive, and they're both plugged in. Good suggestion, though, it's something not a lot of people think to check

It's all over...

Once again I'd like to thank all the people who've given me (and others) great suggestions and helpful advice. I have heard the violins!!

I had to return an item to Best Buy and while I was there, lo and behold there was a Tomb Raider set of 1 and 2 Gold! I couldn't believe it and of course I grabbed it immediately. Doing everything that has been suggested with the two discs, I went back to the end of the Great Wall level and I was so happy to discover the cut scene!! I had been terribly frustrated by the laptop in that scene and the fact that I could do nothing with it even though it was obvious that it was there for a reason. I also got to hear the tutorial and the music in Lara's house. I am going to spend this afternoon playing the rest of Venice - while doing laundry, cleaning etc...

Anyway, I am now content. Hopefully the rest of the games will be trouble-free. Gotta go play..... Thanks again!

Fudgerat

fudgerat

Congratulations!!

I'm sorry to continue to beat a dead horse, but I have a question.

Are your newly purchased Tomb Raider games produced by COKeM Technologies? And does the Tomb Raider II Gold Disc 1 have the audio tracks or are the audio tracks on Disc 2?

Or put another way, can you play Tomb Raider II with the music and cut scenes with only Disc 1 in the CD drive, or must you have both discs in your two CD drives as sandtreader and I have found?

Dino

It's just as you said it would be...

Originally posted by Dino

Are your newly purchased Tomb Raider games produced by COKeM Technologies? And does the Tomb Raider II Gold Disc 1 have the audio tracks or are the audio tracks on Disc 2?

Or put another way, can you play Tomb Raider II with the music and cut scenes with only Disc 1 in the CD drive, or must you have both discs in your two CD drives as sandtreader and I have found?
    Dino,

No problem with the questions. After all you've answered mine.

- Yes the TR Gold games I just bought do have a COKeM label.
    - All the audio tracks and cut scenes are on the 2nd disc.
    - I cannot play the game "in full glory" with music etc... without both cd's in my drives.

I must admit it has been quite an adventure trying to figure this whole thing out. But in the end, I think it's been worthwhile.
    Thank you for your help!

Fudgerat

Quick question about TR3 music

The audio in Tomb Raider III is not playable on a CD player, but is in a file called "cdaudio.wad," which is 234,019 KB long. If you just load the game, you should have the theme music on the Passport Screen. I have the theme music with the Tomb Raider III disc in either my CD or DVD drives.

Dino
    Dino,

My hubby found an online receipt for the TR Trilogy and I am going to try to get the TR2 disc replaced. Just to be sure about TR3 though, I want to know if there is a movie before the game starts. I thought I'd check it out in case I should send that CD back also. There was no movie or anything that would tell me where I am or how I got there. I start in some sort of a rain forest. I was able to hear theme music on the passport screen and I was also able to hear the tutorial in Lara's house.

Does the lack of a "lead in" movie sound like the TR3 that you have? Could you please let me know? My 90 days is almost up for returning the TR2 disc so I was hoping to get it in the mail tomorrow or Wednesday for sure and if the TR3 disc isn't right, I'll send it back too. I hope this quickly-typed scrawl makes sense.

Thanks for your input.

Fudgerat

fudgerat

There is a FMV (Full Motion Video) at the beginning of Tomb Raider III, but for me, it doesn't always play.

The first thing that comes up is the "Tomb Raider III Adventures of Lara Croft" full screen. Then there is "EIDOS Interactive Presents A Core Design Production", although this doesn't always play. Then the FMV of the meteor falling in Antarctica millions of years ago when Antartica had a warm climate, and of the miners drilling in present day Antarctica, and again, this FMV doesn't always play. Then the Passport screen with the Tomb Raider III theme music. As you start a new game, Lara is in the jungle in India at the top of a long slope.

There is nothing in the game that explains how she got there or why she is there, but the Manual that came with my game has an introduction, on page 2, that you should read.

The last paragraph says that Lara is currently in India searching for the legendary Infada artifact.

Dino

There is nothing in the game that explains how she got there or why she is there, but the Manual that came with my game has an introduction, on page 2, that you should read.

The last paragraph says that Lara is currently in India searching for the legendary Infada artifact.

Dino
    duh! I forgot to read the mini manual! There it is in black and white!!! (actually black and gray) Thank you, Dino, for all your help!

Fudgerat

All I can say is that after reading this, CoKeM must suck major *, because I got the trilogy collection as a gift when it first came out (3 years back) and mine worked fine (at least on my old PC)...

I've had a few problems on the new one, tho, but after reading the above thread I wonder if it isn't because it's in the CD-RW drive... (TRII, that is)

*checks*

ery! It doesn't work if I put it in the DVD drive either!

Win ME, 1.2 Ghz processor, Gforce 2, not a clue what the soundcard is, and I don't actually OWN the pC so I can't start mucking about with the innards.

Help, anyone?

No FMV's in TR3

Dino, Fudgerat:

When I tried my TR3 disc (from the COKeM TR Trilogy pack) it did the same thing:

"There is a FMV (Full Motion Video) at the beginning of Tomb Raider III, but for me, it doesn't always play." - Dino

Except the FMV's on my machine never play. And there is a glitchy line through the still CG intro page and subsequent level pages on both that game and TR3 Lost Artifact. Wondering if it was simply a "COKeM" mistake, I ordered an original version of TR3 through a company that sells old titles.

The disc I received did not have the COKeM label on it, BUT it still has the same problems - no FMV's. I am suspecting that it is possibly a Windows XP issue. The game plays fine, however, and the internal cut scenes between levels play, so it's not that big of a deal.

By the way, I tried using the WinXP patch from TR Chronicles, but the original exe file installed from the disc is the only exe that the game will recognize. Seems to be a security measure.

Originally posted by SuzieCroft
    I got the trilogy collection as a gift when it first came out (3 years back) and mine worked fine (at least on my old PC)...

I've had a few problems on the new one, tho, but after reading the above thread I wonder if it isn't because it's in the CD-RW drive... (TRII, that is)

It doesn't work if I put it in the DVD drive either!

Win ME, 1.2 Ghz processor, Gforce 2, not a clue what the soundcard is, and I don't actually OWN the pC so I can't start mucking about with the innards.
    SuzieCroft

What are the problems you are having on the new computer with Tomb Raider II? Your CD is probably good because it worked on your old PC.

Do you have the theme music on the Passport Screen? Do you have music in game, and sounds, such as the secret chimes and threat warnings? Do you have cut scenes, such as the one at the end of the Great Wall level?

As has been mentioned above, the Tomb Raider II CD should be in the lower lettered drive of drives capable of reading CDs.

As to your sound card, for Win Me, right click on My Computer, click on Properties, click on Device Manager, then click to expand Sound, video and game controllers. This should show your audio device.

My Tomb Raider II disk is also from the Trilogy package, purchased in June of 2001, and is not COKeM production. It works on my Win Me (Pentium 3 933 Mhz, Nvidia Vanta graphics, Conexant Riptide audio) and on my Win XP (Pentium 4 2.0 Ghz, Nvidia Gforce2 graphics, Creative Sound Blaster Live audio).

I purchased Tomb Raider II Gold in November 2002. It is COKeM production and has the audio tracks on Disc 2, and so requires that both discs be in the drives to play Tomb Raider II, with Disc 2 in the lower lettered CD drive to have all music, sound and cut scenes function properly.

For me Tomb Raider II is too dark in many levels (the Wreck of the Maria Doria is depressingly dark), and requires an increase in Gamma from the default 1 to 2 or even 3.

Dino

SuzieCroft
    Do you have the theme music on the Passport Screen? Do you have music in game, and sounds, such as the secret chimes and threat warnings? Do you have cut scenes, such as the one at the end of the Great Wall level?

theme music - no
    sound effects - (gunshots, grunts, etc) - yes
    music effects - (secret chime) - no
    cutscenes - yes, but without any sound
    fmv - yes, if I remember to close realplayer first

Originally posted by SuzieCroft
    theme music - no
    sound effects - (gunshots, grunts, etc) - yes
    music effects - (secret chime) - no
    cutscenes - yes, but without any sound
    fmv - yes, if I remember to close realplayer first
    SuzieCroft

You've got me stumped.

My only problem with Tomb Raider II when I didn't have music or cut scenes was that I had the CD in the wrong CD drive - the higher lettered one - on either my Win Me or Win XP computers.

I always had sound effects - (gunshots, grunts, etc), and always had FMVs with sound, but not the things that came from the audio tracks that are on the CD - the theme music, music effects - (secret chime, threat warnings, etc) and the dialog from the cut scenes. Any time I had cut scenes, they had sound.

You mention that you have FMVs if you remember to close realplayer first. When I play, I have no other programs running, although of course there are many background processes running. Do you still have the same problems if you play the game with no other programs running?

Also, you haven't mentioned yet what your sound card is. Follow the instructions in the earlier post to identify it.

Dino

TR2 Gold works.

Following the advice of sandtreader and others, I decided to purchase Tomb Raider II Gold from Amazon... The trilogy that I purchased, with I, II, & III all have the COKeM label and none of the music is on the TRII disc. When I received my TRII Gold the other day, I saw that it is exactly as sandtreader said: All the music is on the second disc. Fortunately, I do have two optical drives, so I was able to run Disc 2 in the first drive and Disc 1 in the second drive. Granted, the FMVs still don't run on this machine, but I can view them on another computer I have. At least now I get all the music, speech, and cutscenes that I've been missing for so long!! Thanks for all the help, guys!! Now we all just need to write a collective letter to COKeM and tell them how they screwed up on TRII & TRII Gold!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dino
    Read the CD-ROM section of the readme.txt file on the Tomb Raider II CD-ROM, or in your Tomb Raider II directory.

"If you have a computer system with more than 1 CD-ROM drive ... Tomb Raider II runs most efficiently when the TRII CD is in the first CD-ROM drive. The game will run in any of the CD drives, but you may not get redbook CD audio. Depending on your hardware configuration, the game will sometimes attempt to stream data from the primary CD drive. In order to get the best performance, we recommend using the first occurring CD-ROM drive ... with Tomb Raider II."

This may not apply, but if it does, it does make a difference.
    I tried playing it from my D: drive instead of my E: drive, and it works! Thanks a LOT, I haven't played that game for ages because of this problem, and now it's solved. Thank you so much! (only thing is, the game seems rather slow at accepting the right shift button as the walk button - only when you're already moving does it work. The left shift button works nicely though. But the game works well at last.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12